Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
468 posts

Re: The Last of Us Multiplayer Ideas?

Jun 6, 2012

People don't expect a full co-op support for the main story, ND already said for Uncharted, and it's hold his own for TLoU too judging by the E3 gameplay clip, they can't put the same emphasis on cinematics and big story moments with 2 players...and Elie is a AI controled character that have his own personality and way to handle situation, she can't be a character that player will use to shoot guns and break neck...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the multiplayer of TLoU we should NOT have any competitive multiplayer IMO because it would not really fits the genre AND the mood of the game.

We could have a separate cooperative mode with different characters maybe, that we customise from the ground up to be "us" in this post-apocalyptic world...?  Like we choose a different part of the United State (or World) and must attaint a certain quarantine site with our partner(s).  I woudl really like ND to handle multplayer in TLoU differently from other game with more emphasis on the survival and and less on the action, a multiplayer mode where we are not killing 30 ennemies by minute would seems weird to a lot of players at first but all games DON'T have to be on the same mold for the multiplayer component.

Less action and more mood could means find some way to get out of some place cooperatively (puzzles), ennemy encounters that ask for a slower pace and ask us to act more smartly (tactical) to defeat them without losing too much of our non-regenerative health.

What do you guys think about my ideas...?

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7369 posts

Jun 7, 2012

Do you really want an Uncharted style multiplayer? That would be awful, leave that for you, know - Uncharted. Some sort of Dead Island multiplayer would be good, trading included.

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9668 posts

Jun 7, 2012

samuelcd1997 wrote:

Do you really want an Uncharted style multiplayer? That would be awful, leave that for you, know - Uncharted. Some sort of Dead Island multiplayer would be good, trading included.

I hope ND listens to their hardcore fans.  Almost every hardcore ND fan is saying "don't do competative MP"

It's not built for it, and I think it'd probably ruin it.  Co-op on the other hand would be sweet, but I wonder how that would work because if the game isn't co-op and follows a pretty linear story co-op would get pretty boring pretty fast (just doing story missions over and over). 

IF they do decide to go the competative route, don't make it huge like Uncharted 3 was.  We don't need kickbacks, power plays, etc.

For co-op though, I hope we at least get some kind of survival mode...like ULTIMATE survival like what ali and I have been suggesting for Uncharted (click sig).  That'd be pretty dang fun.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
242 posts

Jun 16, 2012

sadly, this game is going to include multiplayer and that's why we won't see it until 2013 post end of world

http://t.co/fAuDJtdM

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Jun 16, 2012

How about we have Naughty Dog focus on creating the definitive single player experience instead of creating a half-baked, tacked-on multiplayer for a game that's not built for it.  All of your ideas are basically just taking the online component of Uncharted and throwing it on The Last of Us with its own theme.  Let The Last of Us be it's own game.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Jun 16, 2012

I don't understand why there can't be any co-op. People seem to be looking at this like a 'they both have to play the same' sort of deal. I was talking to a buddy of mine and I thought we came up with a rather unique way of doing co-op that would have fit PERFECTLY in this game.

We know that Ellie is AI controlled, that's all well and good.  Let's take a look at what she really does, she's the sidekick. Never in the thick of the action, but a support character. She's Oracle, and Joel is Batman. So why would you have to make them play the same if you had co-op through the story? You wouldn't. Let's use the demo as an example. We know Joel is the weapon wielding character. So who is to say, the hosting player can't play as him, while the joining player takes on the support role?

*Example* You're walking stealthily down the hallway, heading toward the area (in the demo) where the shootout happens, and one of your friends hops in (drop in and out co-op) and takes control of Ellie. You and your friend are on 2 different sides of the room and he is heading towards you (Joel). Your friend, being the support character, can't walk up and snap the guys neck, so instead makes a noise to distract him while Joel now comes around the corner and does the breaking of the neck instead.

The co-op partner (Ellie) doesn't have to use weapons like Joel, she can use the world as her weapon. She is seen picking up a brick and throwing it at an enemy after getting his attention. Doesn't kill him, just stuns him. Let's use a totally dreamed up situation (and by dreamed up I mean riped almost identically from Uncharted 1). Joel is now having a struggle with the infected, and a few other survivors. They 'band' together to fight off the infected and it is now Joel vs 2 survivors. While all this fighting was going on, the co-op partner took this opportunity to climb up to where a chandelier was hanging (totally optional, maybe they found a rock or a board to hit another survivor with to get his attention while Joel fought off the other), letting Joel know this, that player (you) can maneuver the other survivors around the room getting 1, or maybe even both if you are lucky right under it, when Ellie cuts the rope, it comes crashing down saving Joel's life.

I guess it's because of recent co-op games like Dead Island, Saints Row2/3 or Portal 2 (all of which I enjoyed) people instantly think that co-op means both characters have to play the same with few differences, but why can't they be 2 totally different experiences? Giving you a reason to not only play through the game at least twice.. but also giving you an option in which way you prefer to play.

EDIT

And for anyone that is thinking they will be funny and say 'but then you can go online and greif people'. Yes, you could. OR you could set it so that only friends are allowed into your game, in the same way most co-op games allow you the option of 'Online' or 'Friends Only' style.

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Jun 17, 2012

A mode where you play as a clicker would be cool, like Infection Mode from TimeSplitters & Halo where players have to survive and as they're killed by the first infected they become one and have to get the remaining survivors.

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1958 posts

Jun 18, 2012

I think a co-op that focused on side characters would be cool, kind of a like a prequel for what you will see in the game. I'm sure they will run across a couple interesting characters.

Otherwise, I really don't want anything other than single player. I want the experience, not the fluff. I think this game should be used as an example of how the human element / emotions actually play into interactive media outside of movies/TV.

http://us.playstation.com/ambassadorprogram/terms-and-conditions/

Twitter: @TryceUp

EOR

USN 04-08
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7369 posts

Jun 18, 2012

Repasted from other thread (didn't see this one) :

Competitive could be cool... But they would have to implement key The Last of Us features to make sure it is not just Uncharted with different skins and maps. For example, have a mode where the infected pour into a building and both teams have to escape. You can kill the other team on the way down, or try and subdue them so they are taken by the Infected. The team that escapes with the most members wins. How sweet would that be? Of course ND would not be able to implement it now but I can imagine that being such a fun and crazy mode!

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
449 posts

Jun 18, 2012

I'm thinking of something along the lines of Metal Gear Online's Sneaking mode.

What this is a mode with 3 teams in total. 2 teams (Red and Blue) play normal TDM against eachother with Solid Snake in the middle. Red and Blue want to get the most kills like any other TDM match while keeping Snake from fulfilling his own objective, that objective is to get 3 dogtags from stunned players. Sounds easy, right? It's not, even with all the advantages Snake has (virtually invisible and a master of all weapons) he is still heavily outnumbered.

Now this would obviously not work in TLoU since Sneaking mode is about sneaking, not getting caught and not actively trying to engage the opposition as Snake, TLoU is not about sneaking aound but the whole idea of this Sneaking mode would fit TLoU.

Imagine this, 2 teams (Infected and Hunters) competing against eachother with 2 players as Joel and Ellie in the middle trying to fulfill their objective. This objective would be; let's say get from point A to point B (the rescue zone) while the Infected and Hunters play a regular TDM while keeping an eye out to Joel and Ellie or get a blood sample or whatever fits the TLoU story.

In my opinion, it would work.

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 126 (205 Views)
0 Likes