5545 posts

Re: The Last of Us Multiplayer Ideas?

Feb 18, 2013

FiftyFourForty wrote:

calcunnon wrote:

FiftyFourForty wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:
^ I hate the argument "this game doesn't need multiplayer"

A co-op multiplayer would be neat, but what would be achived by a "humans vs mutants" COD style death match multiplayer. It would just seem cheap and repetitive because just about every game under the sun has done it.

Think about a story driven game, any of the Max Payne games, how would you make that multiplayer?

You would play Max Payne 3, which actually does have a multiplayer.

Okay, wow, well I never knew it had a multiplayer. I played and beat the campaign and I guess I never paid attention to the multiplayer. Although in all honesty I didn't pay much attention to the main menu since I loaded the campaign and played the game, pausing it when I was away and resuming when I wanted to resume. I never even noticed a multiplayer option.

So how does Max Payne 3 multiplayer work? I hope it isn't a half-dozen Max Paynes trying to kill each other, that would seem lame.

It was a good multiplayer, but I'm not really a fan of the "shoot everything that moves" type game anymore, so I got bored of it a bit quickly.

You can play as lots of different characters, and the objective-based modes have a story narrative that gets told between each of the five rounds, to explain why these two groups are killing each other (it's called Turf Wars). Also, actions that happen in each round determine part of the next rounds narrative.

I can't see TLoU going down that road though (at least, I certainly hope not). I think most people here, myself included, are hoping for a human vs human competitive multiplayer in which stealthy, survival gameplay is the focus, rather than shoot-'em-up gameplay.

Message 101 of 126 (395 Views)
Sackboy
520 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 18, 2013

I don't think designing a good competitive MP for TLoU would be very hard. If it's team-based, I can't see any trouble, really. There could be a variety of Carry The Flag styles, as survivors try to steal resources from eachother's camps, for instance.

There could be a propaganda mode as the Fireflies and the Military fight for control of certain areas of the map (which coud have speakers to signal who is dominating there (like Killzone's Capture and Hold, which is kinda like U3's Turf War).

There could be a Quarantine mode, which would basically work as a King of the Hill.

And why not an Assassination mode, to kill a guy, because his is a Person of Interested or because he has supposedly being inffected (in which case the mode could be called (Purge)?

Pure Team Deathmatch could become campy or run n' gunny, but if you add territory-based objectives, it can easily work very well.

For Free-For-All modes, however, things are much tougher to design. I usually shunned these modes, judging them as chaotic. But then Assassin's Creed MP came up with some excellent Free-For-All modes. That gave me hope for FFA modes. And they have the advantage of resulting in very balanced public games, since they don't require a similarity in the sum of skill level of two different teams. So, I'd love for ND to try to experiment with some funky rules for FFA modes.

Here is are a couple of designs:

Safehouse:

The game assigns a few areas of the map that the players must conquer. The number of areas should depend on the number of players. If you have many, 2 areas could work well, but if you have few, just 1 area would do. So, it wouldn't necessarily be about everybody trying to go to the same place. If there are many players, there would be more than one option, but there would probably be more than one guy trying to get that territory for himself.

Staying in one area would give you points. The fewer players in the area, the more points are gained by the players in it. Think about needing to kill people so you're the only one enjoying the limitted resources of the safehouses.

From time to time a different set of areas would be determined (like King of the Hill, but with more than one hill if there are many players). There would be an intermission as the areas are changing (to nerf the exploit of waiting in the next area).

Safehouse - *Infection*

Basically the same mode, but with a twist. Think about it as some sort of fungi spores storm and players trying to shelter from it inside the safehouses.

About 60% through the game's time, any player who dies in some specific circumstance, which could be 'dying after failing to even reach a safehouse', or 'dying outside a safehouse', or 'far from a safehouse'... would respawn as an infected. However, if he dies as an infected, he respawns as a human, again. If he kills as an infected he could get some bonus points for it... and the guy he killed spawns an infected. And if you die as an infected, after killing someone as an infected, you can choose to respawn as infected, or as human.

Infected can't win points for being in safehouses. And infected can't attack eachother. And... if you kill a guy as an infected and he respawns as an infected and kill someone, you get a few points for his kill, because it was you who spread the infection... you were the infection pioneer, so to speak.

Now... about 80% through, any one who dies in any circumstance spawns as an infected. That should make things interesting. Imagining being the last human alive in a game like this Smiley Happy The remaining humans would need to worry about the infected, specially because the infected can't attack eachother and work kind of as a team, because of it (as opposed to the Free-For-All situation with the humans. However, the humans would have an easier time in terms of competing for safehouses. And there could also be some bonus points for surviving against many infected (kinda like in Corruption mode in AC: Revelations).

Needless to say: if everyone becomes infected, the game ends prematurely.

I have another pair of modes in mind, but I'm too sleepy to type it now. Maybe later. Please, feel free to comment on my suggestions. I'd love to have some feedback on them and discuss stuff.

Message 102 of 126 (385 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure its gonna be like DayZ with crafting and climbing mechanics..
Like serious how come noone even think of this...
Am I the only one who knows DayZ or WarZ? Look it up people watch it in youtube.
Well I just hope I'm right...

Message 103 of 126 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5545 posts

Mar 3, 2013
No, we all know DayZ. And plenty of people have had that idea already. We're just not stupid enough to think that TLoU's multiplayer is going to be like that.
Message 104 of 126 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2224 posts

Mar 4, 2013

Don't do what you did with Uncharted 3.

Message 105 of 126 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 12, 2013

Free-4-All Mode: CONTRACTS

So, you have a bunch of players in the game, 10 or less, probably; at the very least 4. The mode consists of randomly pairing players as rivals. One player tries a CTF (Smuggler) and the other tries to prevent him from doing it (Assassin). They can kill eachother. If two different conflicts (between two pairs of rivals) finish roughly at the same time (during intermission from contracts, or respawn time) the players are assigned a different rival. Otherwise, they keep the rival, but they swap the roles. If there is an odd number of players, one of the conflict gets 3 guys, instead of 2. In this case, you have 1 Smuggler and 2 Assassins trying to stop him. The Smuggler gains some bonus to compensate for the increased opposition.

If you liked the idea or wonder about its viability, please tell me, so I may write the details.

Message 106 of 126 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
89 posts

Mar 14, 2013

I Just thought about this 

Have a gamemode called Scavenger now when you start there will be a Random Supply  lying around on the map now the humans have to locate it and rewards you with xp and some curruncy (watever is being used as money ) after u collect it a new supply spawns again randomly on the map but no can know where it is u must search high and low and this should last about 10 min. The other team will be infected and must stop u from collecting supplys 

Next round u swap teams no you are the infcted and must stop the humans by killing them . Killing them near supllys should earn u a bit more currency but not xp

NOTE: while you are infected u should earn very little xp for killing as this would then be a total kill farm mode

And 1 more thing the supplys should be like bullets or a bandage or ducktape no a big box that any 1 can see u should be able to miss it real quik it could be on a shelve under a desk anywhere HIDDEN think about it

Signature #2

Code #1

Message 107 of 126 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Mar 14, 2013

^ I think it would be boring as hell. It relies too much on luck. And if the only thing the infected can do is killing people, why give them few points for it?

Message 108 of 126 (208 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Mar 17, 2013

It is difficult to please everyone. But I think TLOU should have multiplayer modes weather competitive or co-operative.

I have an idea for co-op mode "survival", but with different elements.

The idea is 3 or 4 players have to help each other to survive 10 days. Imagine with me; they start with no weapons in a massive map "literally" in the daylight, they look and search for the scattered resources all over the huge map such as weapons, medical supplies, food, etc. But when the night falls, they have to fight for their lives.

In the daylight, they can create their own weapons, find a shelter for the night. There is no sign of infected human in the day, only scavengers. Scavengers are AI that some of them are aggressive and can fight and kill you. Other are harmless and survival just like you, but will fight back if you do harm them.

When the sun sets and the night falls, the infect human are everywhere. You have to survive them, kill them, help your friends and other injured AI "that you helped in the daylight'. If you survived the 1st day, you are rewarded with XP and money and new weapons parts are available in your shelter where you can create new weapons. Rewards are can be weapons parts, medical supplies, food, armor, ammo, etc.

As I said, the scavengers either help or fight you. If you survived the 1st day, the 2nd day "2nd wave" starts with limited resources and other AI scavengers appear but they are stronger. As well as when the night falls, the infected human are large in number, and much stronger. And so on. Each day, your enemies get stronger and large in number, until you survive the 10th day. Sometimes, night falls earlier as a surprise element!!

After 3 days a random event happens and you have to discover it, for example a plane crashes where you and your friends have to explore that area, find out what happened and collect the supplies. But you have to be quick, and return to your shelter before the night falls. Otherwise, you have to fight your way to the shelter.

Each map has there or two shelters. They are like your safe house that contains the supplies you collected in the daylight. You have to builds it first. It can be damaged, but you can fix and rebuild it.

Enemies can drop random items such as ammo, small medical kit, crafting items, etc. There are no boosters or kickbacks. We can have something similar like when you kill enemies or fix something you gain XP. You can spend your XP to buy items such as armor, shield, large medical kit, and larger bag "for collecting more items"….. Etc.

If you did not manage to survive, and you are injured, your friends can revive you or you can use medical kit if you have one. If you don't have one, and your friends are busy, you can crawl to the shelter until someone helps you. If you are dead, you are dead, no respawn system here.

So, what do you think?

Another Co-op Modes I would like to see are:

1- Regular Survival Mode: Survive unlimited waves of horrified fungi-like human.

2- Co-op adventure.

Also, I would like to see competitive modes such as:

• Scavengers VS. Scavengers: where you can customize your character and play TDM or FFA.
  • Human VS. Infected: It's more like co-op hunter. Human have to survive and manage to kill the infected players with primary tools and weapons, while the infected have to infect others players. The match starts with 8 human VS. 2 Infected with others AI infected. 10 minute for human to survive.
  • Rescue: 5 Heroes VS. 5 Scavengers where a hostage has to be rescued. Scavengers have a NPC as a hostage. The other team has to rescue it. Time is ticking!!
  • Another mode is like plunder, two teams fight for the supplies that are randomly appear. They have to carry it to score a point.
  • Defender: Heroes have a lot of supplies; their goal is defending it from scavengers. Scavengers must steel these supplies and share the spoils. A match of 5 Heroes VS. 5 Scavengers.

Message 109 of 126 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Mr-IDangerous wrote:
Each map has there or two shelters. They are like your safe house that contains the supplies you collected in the daylight. You have to builds it first. It can be damaged, but you can fix and rebuild it.

If you did not manage to survive, and you are injured, your friends can revive you or you can use medical kit if you have one. If you don't have one, and your friends are busy, you can crawl to the shelter until someone helps you. If you are dead, you are dead, no respawn system here.

I liked these ideas, specially the co-op one with intertwined waves of infected and humans.

These paragraphs I quoted seemed problematic, however. It looks like you got a bit overexcited with the realism. We gotta tthink about animations for this kind of thing, otherwise, it would make everything look cheesy. And no respawn is usually a bad idea, specially in a long mode.

I also don't see any problem in starting the game with the usual boosts from other modes.

Message 110 of 126 (152 Views)
0 Likes