Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Re: The Last Of Us™ Online Multiplayer

Dec 10, 2012
So on Twitter, they said new TLoU info on Monday. Considering that box art and MP preorder info just released, can we expect multiplayer previews from sites and maybe a multiplayer trailer?
Message 31 of 52 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Dec 10, 2012
Didn't know there was a dedicated online multiplayer thread so I'll move my other post here and you can lock that other thread if you want
----
How Multiplayer Could Work:

Personally, I never saw the danger in adding a multiplayer mode to a game. Yes, I'm wary of tacked-on additions only there to tick off some developer's wishlist but if it doesn't betray the series' core, then multiplayer never hurts. Max Payne 3, Uncharted, Assassins Creed: franchises that, in my opinion, didnt necessarily need multiplayer but did so incredibly well and remain true to the franchise's strengths.

If done well (and I have faith in Naughty Dog), The Last of Us could very well be added to that category.

What are the strengths of the series? From what we've seen, it's the atmosphere, the grittrealistic encounters, the survival aspects, and the dynamic AI. For multiplayer to work and work well, these must be present.

My suggestions are Scavengers (competetive) and Survivors (cooperative).
-------
Scavengers would be set during the earlier days of the outbreak. The two teams would be groups of hunters and the goal would be to gather more supplies than the other team. Not amount of kills, but amount of gathered supplies would lead to success. The mechanics of single player would still apply: there would be no regenerative health, players could start with guns but no bullets and would have to scavenge ammo from the map, supplies would be needed to craft medkits and other tools.

But the key element would be the AI-driven Clickers that roam the map. They are truely neutral and attack anyone. Sound and gunshots will attract tthem so matches would be more tactical as any random shots could lead to death. Teams could use bait to lure the clickers to attack the other team. Stealth, subterfuge, and silent weapons like bows would be the key to staying alive the longest and gathering the most supplies.
----
In Survivors, a team of two to four players are placed on a large open map. They have certain objectives to complete and then must escape. Maybe they have to gather supplies or parts then make it to a car or find the way to lower a bridge to cover a river and escape. But like in the campaign, gangs of hunters and clickers inhabit the map. These AI enemies would be randomly generated as would the conditions of the map: time of day, weather, etc. And as with single player, supplies and ammo would scare.

If the multiplayer stays true to the essence of the game, The Last of Us could deliver a memorable, well-done online component. Any opinions on these ideas or suggestions of your own?
Message 32 of 52 (289 Views)
Sackboy
354 posts

Dec 10, 2012

Someone has probably already thought of this, but I would really like a survival co-op mode. Like Uncharted 2's survival, but in this game you could play the mode solo if you wanted. I always wished I could play Uncharted co-op alone to see if I could beat it by myself. Hopefully something like this makes it's way into the game. 

As for a competitive mode, if there is a traditional team deathmatch, it could be two teams of maybe 2-4 players. Everyone would start out with no weapons or items so you have to roam the map to find them. Whilst roaming, you can stealth melee the enemies, but it wouldn't be an automatic kill. The other player would be able to break free if the stealth attack was, let's say a choke hold from behind, by a QTE or mashing a designated button, or spinning the analog stick or something along those lines. Health would be restored by bandages like in the SP. Items could be crafted like in the SP, and crafting should take maybe 3-5 seconds. Crafted items could be stronger then non combined items like a wooden plank or a brick or what have ya. If there are weapons like revolvers and rifles, they should very small amounts of ammo, and they shouldn't be able to be reloaded as fast as Drake reloads guns in Uncharted. If there is sprint, it should have a charge meter. 

Youtube channel: harrisj1616
Twitch: harrisj16
Message 33 of 52 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4359 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 10, 2012

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/09/the-last-of-us-on-ps3-may-7th-2013-pre-order-bonuses-new-t...

Found in the comments below, ND seems confident about the TLoU MP. Can we trust them? Does anyone know who is MP Lead Designer?

Commenter: "I’m incredibly excited for this game… but like… why the HELL even add multiplayer. There are more games that I can count that have a tacked on half baked MP component that don’t need it at all/ are hardly a selling point. Stupid move, show some faith in your own game. I’m SURE the SP stands on its own…"

Arne: "And we have faith that our MP will stand on it’s own. If we felt like it would be tacked on, we wouldn’t have added it. We want all our game experiences to be of the highest quality and that’s what we work extremely hard to deliver."

I wonder if they ever said the same thing about Uncharted 3 MP. 

Ho Ho Ha Ha
Message 34 of 52 (214 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

Dec 11, 2012
multiplayer was announced, what it is, no idea. i would prefer a co-op game, however, i feel like a dead space 2 esque hero vs monsters would also work.

also, this is amazing:
Photobucket

Message 35 of 52 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 11, 2012

I hope the MP will be more simple and polished like UC2's MP because Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley are the directors. I certainly don't want a CoD inspired MP like UC3.

Edit: Wow, Arne is alive.

------------------Join my GTA V crew "ND forums"!-------------------

Message 36 of 52 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Dec 11, 2012

Psyschock wrote:

I hope the MP will be more simple and polished like UC2's MP because Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley are the directors. I certainly don't want a CoD inspired MP like UC3.

Arne's always been alive, he just prefers Twitter and Neogaf to the Official Forums and Blog it seems.

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 37 of 52 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7372 posts

Dec 11, 2012

So what was Sunday/Monday's big news? Just the preorder bonuses?

Message 38 of 52 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
2019 posts

Dec 11, 2012

samuelcd1997 wrote:

So what was Sunday/Monday's big news? Just the preorder bonuses?

Essentially. 

Twitter: @TryceUp

USN 04-08
Message 39 of 52 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Dec 11, 2012

Psyschock wrote:

UC2 already had things taken directly from Call of Duty 4.

Message 40 of 52 (90 Views)
0 Likes