Highlighted
Jan 27 2013
By: luigi1002 Hekseville Citizen 258 posts

Tear-Jerker Endings

2 replies 212 views Edited Jan 27, 2013

In one of the forum topics we were talking about endings. The more I think about it, the more I want a few good ones. Most endings are that Joel dies or Ellie dies. But what if the way you play affects the endings? Such as the way you go killing and surviving. A few endings having something like Joel turning into an infected and you play as Ellie shooting him, game ends. Having an ending be solid and not changing to be more happy ruins the experience. Knowing no matter what you do, you're still going to die in the end. Knowing there are endings that are more happy and beneficial/rewarding really makes you want to keep pushing to try to get it. And it adds more re-playability, which is always good.

Most people are thinking "It can't have a super-happy ending, that ruins the vibe it has." I completely understand this, but it would be fun to have an all positive ending. Such as if you don't kill anyone innocent, kill a few bandits here and there, protect Ellie, and don't die too many times, you get an all positive ending. Like, Joel and Ellie make it to a Safe-Haven and live there happily, skip ahead to a little funeral for Joel that Ellie does by burying him in the future. Of course this Ellie is much older, about 20-29. She says a few words to Joel's grave and shoots a clicker as it charges towards her, game ends. It's not a super-happy ending but it's still rewarding to know you completed your task and did good.

Last Of Us GOTY
Message 1 of 3 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
10758 posts

Re: Tear-Jerker Endings

Jan 27, 2013

luigi1002 wrote:

In one of the forum topics we were talking about endings. The more I think about it, the more I want a few good ones. Most endings are that Joel dies or Ellie dies. But what if the way you play affects the endings? Such as the way you go killing and surviving. A few endings having something like Joel turning into an infected and you play as Ellie shooting him, game ends. Having an ending be solid and not changing to be more happy ruins the experience. Knowing no matter what you do, you're still going to die in the end. Knowing there are endings that are more happy and beneficial/rewarding really makes you want to keep pushing to try to get it. And it adds more re-playability, which is always good.

Most people are thinking "It can't have a super-happy ending, that ruins the vibe it has." I completely understand this, but it would be fun to have an all positive ending. Such as if you don't kill anyone innocent, kill a few bandits here and there, protect Ellie, and don't die too many times, you get an all positive ending. Like, Joel and Ellie make it to a Safe-Haven and live there happily, skip ahead to a little funeral for Joel that Ellie does by burying him in the future. Of course this Ellie is much older, about 20-29. She says a few words to Joel's grave and shoots a clicker as it charges towards her, game ends. It's not a super-happy ending but it's still rewarding to know you completed your task and did good.

Well, ND said that there will be one clear ending. After all, they do want to tell a story. They can have a ending that has the same message, but in a almost cosmetic way, similar to how the Silent Hill games ended.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 2 of 3 (207 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
778 posts

Re: Tear-Jerker Endings

Jan 28, 2013

No doubt they'll finish off the Last of us well. I mean I almost got my sister crying back in Uncharted 2 when they almost killed off Elena. Heck even I was tearing up when Sully almost died in Uncharted 3.

The Last of Us is reserved for much more adult themes so we can expect a harsh yet satisfying ending, closer to reality than a cliche'. Either charcater will die in my opinion. If not then they'd have to have a decent backup for an emotional slap to the face like the death of one of our protagonists

Message 3 of 3 (161 Views)
0 Likes