Highlighted
Jan 30 2013
By: Matthijs_17 Fender Bender 3484 posts

SIXAXIS use in this game?

14 replies 1149 views Edited Jan 30, 2013

I heard many people hate the SIXAXIS in the playstation controllers, but I love it if they use it well, for instance:

- ratchet and clank, you use the SIXAXIS to steer when flying

- infamous (spoiler about a certain power you get)

Spoiler
you can control lightning storms with the SIXAXIS, I loved doing that

- uncharted 1 (spoiler about the story)

Spoiler
those cursed spaniards jumped on you when you were reloading, then you had to shake them of with the SIXAXIS or you will get bitten and die, I loved that, it immersed me in the game even more

- batman arkham asylum, stear remote controlled batarangs or fly around with the SIXAXIS

- heavy rain, many uses of the SIXASIS that also represents movements that the characters needed to make, it helps to immerse you even more in the game

All great uses of the SIXAXIS, so I thought of the SIXAXIS in The Last of Us, look at the demo from E3, where Ellie throws a brick to a guys head and then Joel first pushed him up with his arm towards a wall, then he smashes his opponents head twice on a table on your right, so instead of pressing two times square to do that last bit, I would prefer to swing my controller to the right twice and see Joel performing that move, it is more immersing if you ask me...

So what do you think of the SIXAXIS, do you like it or not, do you think it would be great in The Last of US?

Message 1 of 15 (1,149 Views)
Naughty Paw
11242 posts

Re: SIXAXIS use in this game?

Jan 30, 2013
I would also like to see SIXAXIS implemented. But the way you're describing it makes it sound gimmicky. Perhaps as an option?

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 2 of 15 (1,140 Views)
Fender Bender
3484 posts

Jan 30, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
I would also like to see SIXAXIS implemented. But the way you're describing it makes it sound gimmicky. Perhaps as an option?

agreed, there are always people who would like it and people who don't like it, so you must be able to choose if you want to use the SIXAXIS or don't want to

you said that my example was a gimmicky use for the SIXAXIS, while I understand why you think that, I am curious if you have an idea how you want the SIXAXIS to be used in the game?

Message 3 of 15 (1,133 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11242 posts

Jan 30, 2013
Maybe when you're lifting Ellie to high places you make a motion with the controller of boosting her up?

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 4 of 15 (1,130 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 30, 2013

It depends on how they implement it. I don't want them to use it at all if they're not going to do it right. I find the sixaxis almost always silly and not needed. However if it's implemented like they did in Batman:AC and inFamous then I'm okay with it. Just so long as there is an option to turn it off...

Message 5 of 15 (1,100 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5546 posts

Jan 30, 2013
Might be nice to tilt as a "peek around the corner" feature when pressed against a wall.
Message 6 of 15 (1,095 Views)
I Only Post Everything
785 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Sorry but I most certainly hope they don't. SIXAXIS use is often tedious and shabby. I don't blame Naughty Dog for moving on from the motion-controlled grenade tosses. I didn't really mind the balancing mechanic but the controller wasn't very responsive.

Honestly, I don't believe in the whole "Motion controlled gaming future". Gaming is and always has been reserved for controllers, I don't care how chubby people get from obssessive gaming.

Message 7 of 15 (1,061 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

The only game I've played where SIXAXIS is used well is Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destuction.

-You can use it to move around while skydiving into a planet.

-You can use it with the Geo Laser gadget (it's a laser that cuts through walls, like in the spy movies. SIXAXIS is used to move the laser around)

-You can use it to control the Robo-Wings (they let you fly around the city)

-In those minigames where you have to dance to the Groovitron while disguised as a pirate to open doors, the SIXAXIS is used there as a dance move

-With the Decrypter gadget (a little circuit/maze that you need to complete to open doors), you use the SIXAXIS to tilt the ball around the circuit

-With the Tornado Launcher weapon (similar to the tornado power in inFamous 2), you can use the SIXAXIS to control where the tornado goes.

-With the Visi-Copter weapon ( a little helicopter with guns), you can use the SIXAXIS to control the movement of it.

The SIXAXIS was used VERY well in this Ratchet game, I actually had fun using it and didn't turn off the feature. In our present day games, it seems as if the use of SIXAXIS has faded away.

Message 8 of 15 (1,043 Views)
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Jan 31, 2013

I woulnd't mind if they added that feature, but to tell you the truth, i don't like these sequences with the SIXAXIS.

I like to play a game by pressing buttons not moving my controller. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15 (1,013 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20192 posts

Jan 31, 2013
SIXAXIS can be very iffy sometimes. Timed SIXAXIS sequences wouldn't be too nice in my book.

Maybe SIXAXIS control when lifting up windows/other things when there's no combat? I don't know, but keep SIXAXIS out of combat controls. Grenades in UC1 sucked because you were forced to use it. Smiley Mad
Message 10 of 15 (1,004 Views)
0 Likes