By: Ramify Lombax Warrior 136 posts

*PS4 Version Censored Too!* The Last of Us Censorship Compared! [NSFW]

[ Edited ]
853 replies 96541 views Edited Aug 28, 2014

---------------------------------------------------------

Update 26th July 2014

Hey Everyone,

It has been almost a year since my last update. Unfortunately, it is not good news. A week and a half ago, Fred Dutton, EU Playstation Blog Manager, responded to the possible censorship in the PS4 version (PlayStation.Blog link):

ps4censored.png

I recommend If you want to play the uncensored version of The Last of Us (PS4), to only purchase the U.S version.

You can buy the U.S. version from:

-Play-Asia.com

-Amazon.com or

-U.S. PSN store digital copy

Until next time, 

Ramify

Update 27th August 2013
I am very impressed by the efforts of the posts in this thread. Some of you have gone to great lengths to investigate and share thoughts about Sony Computer Entertainment's (SCE) past censorship.

TheJungler has nicely documented and set up a number of Social Media Sites (be sure to follow and check out those):

TUMBLR: http://sceuncut.tumblr.com

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SCEUncutBlog

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/sceuncut 

Update 15th August 2013

Hey Everyone,

Recently, as I was unaware of a particular forum policy, I may have over-shared information on this thread and I sincerely apologise for any offense to the forum rules. Let me be clear it has only ever been my intention to investigate the censorship and report as factually as I can.

For the vast majority of games, I would not have been bothered to share my thoughts or to investigate as I have. But as I played the TLoU, I grew passionate of its fantastic and immersive world. So passionate that I became frustrated I was not experiencing it all.

It is amazing that our combined efforts has finally brought awareness worldwide to this issue. And I hope that one day it will not matter where you live in the world, the game you buy will be the same.

Take care, friends.

Ramify

Update 5th August 2013

Wow, this thread is being reported by gaming sites worldwide!

This is totally surreal as I read many of these sites. A big thank you to ALL the supporters of this thread!

Click the links:

Eurogamer - Nice reporting!

IGN

GameSpot

GameSpot Daily News - Video

PSU

The Escapist

3news - NZ News!

MCV

VG247

Polygon

joystiq

thesixthaxis

Explosion

PushSquare

Gamepur

spieletipps - German site (translated)

More articles...

Spoiler

During the recent Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) Neil Druckmann (Creative Director) was questioned in regards to the TLoU censorship (Reddit Link):

ND reddit ama.png

Finally, movie-censorship has ran a recent article that provides a deeper analysis on the censorship.

Be sure to check it out!

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=801219

Some photos from the article:

UK/EU/AUS/NZ Left  ------ Americas Right

Cluster Bomb

cluster bomb.png

Shotgun

shotgun.png

Shorty (Back of head blown off completely)shorty.png

U.S. only guts (If you shoot in the abdomen there is a squelch sound, followed by guts)

guts us.jpg

Update 30th July 2013

Here are some more gifs courtesy of Darijan_Umag:

TLOU MP GORE-1

TLOU MP GORE-2

Update 22nd July 2013

For the past couple weeks I have been enjoying the U.S. version uncut multiplayer. There's definitely a lot more blood than the Europe/PAL version. Dismemberment is clearly visible in Survivors, where the head, arms and legs can be seen blown off for the entire round, and with extra blood!

As a paying customer, you should be rightfully upset. You are NOT playing the same multiplayer as the U.S., and as I have insisted from the beginning, it is only fair that Naughty Dog at least make an official response. 

Big thanks to Darijan_Umag, aka Rockshow2oo8, (dude I used love watching your Uncharted 3 Best Plays Of The Week vids :smileyhappy:for providing these nicely edited gifs. This is what you are missing out on...

censorship4

censorship5

censorship6

censorship7

You can kudos his thoughts here

Update 6th July 2013

The Last of Us Single Player is Uncut!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-General/The-Last-of-Us-Single-Player-Is-Uncut-...

Update 5th July 2013

I am pleased by the amount of support this thread is receiving. Remember to keep posting, generously kudos, and continue to support this thread! I have been reading all the responses. 

Out of curiosity, I purchased the U.S. version of the game and can 100% confirm the differences between U.S. and EUROPE/PAL multiplayer as described in the original post below. 

Having both versions, I also can give some advice for those players in Europe/Australia who are looking to import the U.S. version:

• Single Player save games are region locked. The disc creates a "unique" save file for each region (not cross-compatible). (Ouch!) :smileysad:
  • All DLC is region locked. You will need to repurchase DLC for each region separately.
  • Online Pass is also region locked. Eg. For the U.S. version of the game, only the U.S. PSN store's Online Pass works.

Seems like a lot of hassle and inconvenience; And it is!!! I guess this serves as a warning: if you wish to play The Last of Us Uncut avoid the Europe/Australia version from the start. I wish Sony and Naughty Dog would have warned us. My plan is to finish Single Player playthroughs with the Europe version, and play any multiplayer with the U.S. Although ultimately, I would love to sell/trade in the U.S. version if/when Europe becomes uncensored.

The website movie-censorship first got me curious to investigate when they said there was no dismemberment in Europe's multiplayer. They recommend you buy the U.S. game from Amazon.com. You can also buy it from Play-Asia.com, who I used :smileyhappy: The game is region free, but you will need to set up a U.S. PSN account to download any DLC and the online pass. You can also download the digital version from U.S. store, but keep in mind it is 27GB!

Finally, bent_toe has been actively seeking answers (kudos to him!) and got a response from Andy Barnes of
Sony Computer Entertainment UK & Ireland who writes,

"... there are often slight differences in different countries due to cultural acceptability or local laws etc. In terms of the European release, the version of The Last of Us is the same across the whole territory but there are slight differences with the US version."

Andy unfortunately does not go into detail.  See the full response here

That wraps up this update.

Cheers guys! :smileyhappy:

Original Post
Hi All,

I browsed a few Youtube videos out of interest and I compared the difference between the U.S. and EUROPE/PAL multiplayer of the game. Have a look for yourself.

I used the following Youtube Videos (all credit to them for source):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsSVZDz138

BroKenGaMezHD
17:40  
19:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjuZFw5NoFg

RajmanGamingHD
1:13

U.S. Version

censorship1

Europe Left / U.S. Right

censorship1

Side-by-side

censorship1

ND, the questions I would love to be answered:

• Australia has now finally an R18+ rating classification, why has it and all of Europe been censored? (Official word? Germany or something else entirely?)
  • Has the single player been  censored? Japanese players are suggesting it has for them. Has Europe/Oceania's single player been affected as well?
  • Is there a way for there to be a toggle button? tapantaola suggested this in another thread. This will make everyone happy. 

I have already paid for the DLC Season Pass completely oblivious that I bought and was playing a censored version of the game (Joel Edition as well!). I understand that from a gameplay perspective, this doesn't change things too much. But I can't shake the feeling I did not buy the game in its entirety, and not how the developers intended this work of art to be played. 

Please respond!

Thanks for reading, 

Ramify

Edit: Formatting; plus a lot added and removed!

Message 1 of 854 (96,541 Views)
Fender Bender
3658 posts

Re: The Last of Us Censorship Compared (GIFS)! [NSFW]

Jul 1, 2013
Oh my God that's bloody!
I know my version is censored but games like God of War has MUCH worse gore!
The uncut version looks much more satisfying upon a kill.
Why must we suffer!?
Message 2 of 854 (96,520 Views)
First Son
22 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Thanks for letting me know about your thread.. Yeah , i just tried a bit from the single player and i think its cencored too,i think you cant dismember someone.. I shoot the enemies in the head and they just die ,with some blood on their face,no head cut. I m not willing to play this thing,although i gave money.. I will just wait forever for a patch.. Thanks for making this comparison,now we finally have some proof!

Message 3 of 854 (96,505 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
283 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Thank you sir for bringing this up here

Message 4 of 854 (96,484 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

Jul 1, 2013

I just hope it isn't confirmed that single player was censored as I would be seriously **bleep** off it that was the case.

Surely we (UK resident) should have been told beforehand. £40 for a 'lite' version of the game.

Now I know when some American blows my head off it'll be much more satisfying for him then if I do the same to him. :smileywink:

I mean come on ND. We've pulled the heads off guys in GOW3 and even been blew to pieces in Dead Space. Surely we can handle a bit of a head explosion.

Message 5 of 854 (96,467 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1511 posts

Jul 1, 2013
I never took a notice of this, now I feel kind of incomplete knowing I have a censored game though.
Message 6 of 854 (96,439 Views)
Wastelander
801 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

It also has a rating of 18, yet it's still watered down.  German video game law and Sony/Naughty Dog making only two version of the game, mean all the PAL versions are the same.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 854 (96,376 Views)
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Jul 1, 2013

My pleasure :smileyhappy: I hope the Naughty Dog at least responds!! I would love an answer. 

Message 8 of 854 (96,350 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jul 1, 2013

A guy just said me that he lives in Filand ,and they got no cencored version there..I really dont know whats going on

Message 9 of 854 (96,336 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Jul 1, 2013
Maybe they get the U.S. version? No ideas :/
Message 10 of 854 (96,325 Views)