Jun 08 2012
By: Teh_Barbarian First Son 5 posts

One life mode.

31 replies 207 views Edited Jun 8, 2012

I would like to suggest a game mode, perhaps the hardest dificulty of the game to be made so that you only get one life, kind of like the Witcher 2 highest dificulty, or Diablo 3 hardcore, where if you/Ellie die, the game is over.

There should be no checkpoints or continues, you die you lose. Of course, at least a save system where you don't have to do i tall in one sitting, and like the Witcher 2, if you die, that save gets deleted, or autosaved on your death.

I think this would really make players really think about what their actions will be and also make them feel vulnerable in a harsh world such as this one being depicted. Not only that but of course the highest dificulty will make ammo and resources more scarse and your character less tolerable to damage.

I think it would give it a good level of realism, and before people cry that this would be too harsh, remember you are not forced to play the highest dificulty.

Thanks,

Teh_Barbarian

P.S: Sorry if this was already posted, I did a quick scan before.

Message 1 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Re: One life mode.

Jun 8, 2012

That'd be really lame... a 6+ hour story where you only get to die once? 

Message 2 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 8, 2012

Well, it would be optional, and it would be an awesome challenge/trophie.

A lot of people like this kind of things. Like I mentioned. Diablo 3 has this option and many people play it, and you got a lot more to lose that 6 hours. Same with the Witcher 2.

Message 3 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1189 posts

Jun 8, 2012

I guess it could be like Dead Space 2 where dying puts you back at your last save... But DS2 actually has manual saves, this game doesnt...

Message 4 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jun 8, 2012

I guess that'd be kind of fun, but on the hardest difficulty?  Good lord. 

Message 5 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 8, 2012

Don't know about fun, but definately a challege.

Message 6 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4134 posts

Jun 9, 2012

Those don't go well with games were if you fall from X Height you die, I learned that in Prince of Persa

Edit: ops i thought you meant UC3, meh it might work for LoU

-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Message 7 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jun 9, 2012

YES!!!!! I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. I was thinking it could be called "SURVIVOR" mode. I think it should be a mode so hard that very few people can beat (50 to 100 players). Of course if Naughty Dog did this, I don't think they should make it a trophy. It should not count against completing the game 100%; Instead, the ones who do do it should get a massive award (That only you can use)... Like Naughty Dog making you as a multiplayer character, or Naughty Dog sending you a "SURVIVOR" edition of The Last of Us that would include a steel game case with an exclusive disc design and a certificate with your name on it that certifies you are a survivor and is signed by all the dogs for example. I think it would be cool if they put whoever could do it into a hall of fame.

You should be able to try as many times as you like, and it will NEVER count against you for not beating it. I think it would really add to the sense of survival in the game, and it would merely force you to plan EVERY single move you make. Naughty Dog could tweak the health bar to make your health decrease if you don't find first aid in a certain amount of time. They could also give the mode more options, like sneaking past any enemy encounters you please... In doing so, you would run the risk of not finding supplies such as first aid or food. Your health should decrease if you don't eat in a certain amount of chapters. By doing this, it would really make your decisions realistic. "Should I skip this gun and brick fight, or should I kill these people and get necessities Joel and Ellie need to survive?"

Like you said, it would be completely optional, and would come with great reward if you managed to beat it!

Message 8 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
870 posts

Jun 10, 2012

As long as there are no rewards or trophies for passing it on the highest difficulty I'm OK. I don't like the idea since I can't stand dying only to start all over again. With checkpoints I could do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jun 12, 2012

I'm replying to this again just to put it at the top of the list. I think it's such a great idea, and fits perfectly with a survival game!

Message 10 of 32 (207 Views)
0 Likes