Reply
Splicer
Registered: 07/22/2012
Offline
55 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

[ Edited ]
Nov 22, 2012

This is getting out of hand.

 


Mrblurr wrote:

Here's the thing with this argument.

 

1. Saying that's the kind of language that would exist in a post-apocolyptic world is dumb. It could possibily not exist anymore after a generation or 2. It depends on who survives and who does not. Just because someone is a rough and tough person doesn't mean they swear a lot (those I'll admit most do).

 

Saying this kind of language would not exist is what's dumb. Inexplicably dumb.

 

2. The swearing doesn't really add to the game imo. Really, I think it's ND's attempt at thining out younger players  that plague CoD (which is also M-rated...look how well that workds ND). They are probably doing this because the story is more mature and they want players to understand the story and not just try to check out Ellie the entire game.

 

You honestly think the purpose of the foul language is to filter out certain people from buying the game? Seriously?

 

Now I say that the swearing doesn't add to the game because it doesn't. Period. Look at RE5, another Zombie shooter of recent, and there are on 2 F-bombs that I can remember and not a lot of swearing. That game sold pretty well and people are still playing it (or RE6 now)

 

You are trying to create a correlation between amount of cussing and how much a game sells. It doesn't exist, though.

What about GoW2 on 360. This game has a TON of swearing...but it never drew me into the game. I was just moving from place to place feeling down because locusts were around and I had to kill 'em. The swearing was only there because the studio thought it would make the marines/Gears sound more human since they were of a military background. In my opinion, they should have saved that money and invested it somewhere else in the game. The characters are still the same characters without the F-bombs. It's a game, not a movie. This isn't something you hire a babysitter for and go out and see one night. You get a game like this and play it in your own home with children around. Just because you are Mature and maybe the swearing doesn't bother you so much doesn't mean you want it in your house. 

 

Yes, the swearing was there because the studio knew it was realistic and appropriate for the game, as did its consumer.

 

"They should have saved that money" Are you implying that they have to pay voice actors more to cuss? What?

 

"It's a game, not a movie." What does this have to do with anything? You probably also wouldn't watch an R-rated DVD, or listen to music with obscene lyrics, or hang erotic art in front of your kids, would you? So what on earth does being a video game change? Just don't play with your kids around, or play with headphones on. It's not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

 

Only a fool and a terrible parent would be ok with their child running around spouting the language in this game. Game companies should be taking this into accound when creating games. Games like TLOU cuts off not just younger games, but older gamers, married gamers, parent gamers...not all of course, but a percentage from each group is exiled from these games that they may wish to play because they actually have morals they are trying to teach their kids.

 

Did you seriously just suggest that game companies should adapt their creations to the desires of a small subset of consumers at the expense of time, money, talent, and resources? Why should they cater to you? Game developers are going to create what they want to create, whether or not you like it, and if you don't then don't buy it. You are not special. You do not get to dictate what ND, or any other company, does with their game.

 

No one is arguing that parents should not let their children hear such foul language or see the brutality found in TLOU, much like they wouldn't let their kids watch Saving Private Ryan, or listen to Eminem, or play Grand Theft Auto. There is a simple solution to this: DON'T DO IT AROUND THEM.

 


 



WOW, my daughter said I needed to go back and read from my post, I was shocked at all the comments. Well, I thought I would add this in too.

I changed my mind (NOT) I’ll buy the game with no filter, play it on my surround sound and when my daughter has her friends over they can hear all the F-bombs, then I’ll invite them in to watch the graphics then her friends can go home and tell their parents what they heard and if they don’t like it they can keep their kid from being friends with mine. Yep, that’s what I’ll do, I’ll be just like you, INCONCIDERATE, DISRESPECTFULL and INTOLLERANT of those that don’t THINK, ACT, or SPEAK like you. And when my wife has her friends and their kids (9-10) over I can invite them in to hear the language and maybe they’ll even play the game with me (NOT). Then I can be even more like you and make fun of people too that work  at having a better environment at home than what we deal with in everyday life. Really guys …. Honestly … how would a filter option change your experience in the game? … It wouldn’t. And when is the best time to make suggestions on the game? …. When they’re making it of course … therefore I made my suggestion, it’s not like I asked to remove the language or graphics totally,( Although, I believe ND could make a best seller without it) and as far as expense goes, they’ll make plenty of money on this game with or without a filter. Say whatever you want , I still won’t buy it without a filter...... Have A Happy Day ;~)

 

No one is saying you have to play it in front of your kids. Only you are making this a point.


 

 


What's it matter to you, it's not like you know when it's coming out anyway. Besides it will probably get delayed for other reasons. This gives them something to work on in another front other than polishing the graphics/etc.

 

There is no reason to assume the game will be delayed, and even if it did what reason do they have to work on this? Because eight people want a filter? And if they're not going to do it in during the main production time for the game, why the hell would they decide to add it after the game has been delayed when they'd be even more pressed for time?

 

Again, it's not such a trivial thing to implement as you seem to believe. It will take time, manpower, and energy, things that I'm sure ND designers would not be so happy to waste, especially on something so pointless. Do you ask film directors to release censored versions of their creations? Musicians? Artists? Writers? No? Then don't demand it of game developers.


OLDMAN is right though, people who don't get it simply don't understand that some families don't live the same way their's do and that ND has gone from semi-Teen games to UC series and now it's like they want to be like so many other studios who just produce a gritty game with pop culture in it hoping people will buy it. ND is better than this and they need to wake up. This game will NOT sell as well as UC with this language. Even if it's really good, they are locking players out of the game and it's only going to hurt them in the end.

 

No one, and I mean NO ONE has argued against the way you choose to live. If anything, you're doing that because you demand ND change their game for you just because you can't find the time to play it without your kids/wife/dog around. ND is not creating TLOU because they want to be part of some clique of cool, gritty game producers, they're doing it because they want to make an amazing game with a great story, atmosphere, characters, etc. And obviously you think the game looks great, or else you wouldn't even be in this forum and whining about such a stupid matter. There will virtually be no effect on ND's sales because of you and the other seven people complaining. You are incredibly naive if you honestly believe that their sales will be hurt by some cuss words.


Message 61 of 136 (623 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 10/02/2011
Offline
7546 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Nov 21, 2012

Oh man this thread is hella entertaining.  Out of all the things.... all the things people could argue about... a few cuss words?  

 

Problem: Other people hearing them you don't want to.

Solution: Headphones.

 

Problem: You don't like swearing.

Solution: Don't buy it.

 

It really is that simple. Really.  Unless you start adding all kinds of grey areas to it. Even then it is still silly to argue over.

Message 62 of 136 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/07/2011
Offline
5547 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Nov 22, 2012
A-Likely-Story just won the thread.

You can all go home now.

Let this thread die.
Message 63 of 136 (447 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 10/02/2011
Offline
7546 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Nov 23, 2012

I just wanna say one more little, teency-weency thing. I always chuckle when people post "let it die" or something like that.  It is a total contradiction in and of itself.  

 

Posting the statement to let it die... keeps it bumped to the top.  Oh the irony.  Not picking on you in particular calcunnon, it's a common thing I see all over.

Message 64 of 136 (416 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 11/01/2010
Offline
10 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Nov 25, 2012
I agree with OLDMAN, filthy language adds absolutely nothing to gameplay, NOTHING. If there is no language filter in the game, I'll not be buying it, PERIOD. Why should I pay my hard earned money to hear that garbage.
Message 65 of 136 (396 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 05/04/2010
Offline
2480 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Nov 25, 2012

SOUTHBAMADUDE wrote:
I agree with OLDMAN, filthy language adds absolutely nothing to gameplay, NOTHING. If there is no language filter in the game, I'll not be buying it, PERIOD. Why should I pay my hard earned money to hear that garbage.

Are you blind? Take a look at all the posts and you'll se why it DOES add to the game.

I can't believe that adults actually cares about a language filter in a game... I'm just shocked. Either you're a wuss, who can't take a couple swear words, or you're too lazy to prevent your kids or others in hearing it.

 

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 66 of 136 (392 Views)
Splicer
Registered: 07/22/2012
Offline
55 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Nov 25, 2012

SOUTHBAMADUDE wrote:
I agree with OLDMAN, filthy language adds absolutely nothing to gameplay, NOTHING. If there is no language filter in the game, I'll not be buying it, PERIOD. Why should I pay my hard earned money to hear that garbage.

Read. The. Thread.

 

Also, do you avoid everything with bad language? Like movies and music? Just because you live so sheltered doesn't mean everyone else has to accomodate for that.

 

 

And I just bumped the thread again DAMMIT.

Message 67 of 136 (385 Views)
First Son
Registered: 11/01/2010
Offline
10 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Nov 28, 2012
That type of language is nothing but verbal defecation used by those not having the education or brain cells to speak proper English. Personally I prefer not to have someone defecate in my ear. But, if that's what you love, then have at it.
Message 68 of 136 (348 Views)
Splicer
Registered: 07/22/2012
Offline
55 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

[ Edited ]
Feb 11, 2013

SOUTHBAMADUDE wrote:
That type of language is nothing but verbal defecation used by those not having the education or brain cells to speak proper English.

That is, without doubt, one of the most ignorant things I have read in a long time. I don't even have the willpower to rebut such a sentiment; its absurdity speaks for itself.

 

But, quickly, I will say the words that constitute this "verbal defecation" are all definitive words in the English language, and thus are, in fact, as you say ,"proper English." Guess you'll just have to go create a new language, one free of such filth. That way, your ears may never again behold such excrement, and our ears must never again be a receptacle for yours. Win-win!

 

Message 69 of 136 (343 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 09/28/2009
Offline
153 posts
 

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Dec 1, 2012

A-Likely-Story wrote:

SOUTHBAMADUDE wrote:
That type of language is nothing but verbal defecation used by those not having the education or brain cells to speak proper English.

That is, without doubt, one of the most ignortant and ludicrous statements I have read in a long time. I have no motivation to rebut such a sentiment; its absurdity speaks entirely for itself.

 

But, quickly, I will say the words that constitute this "verbal defecation" are all definitive words in the English language, and thus are, in fact, as you say ,"proper English." Guess you'll just have to go create a new language, one free of such filth. That way, your ears may never again behold such excrement, and our ears must never again be a receptacle for yours. Win-win!

 


  He was just giving an opinion, there was absolutely no reason to be disrespectful like that. What are you trying to prove? That you're a close-minded, ignorant **bleep** that can't take another opinion besides your own? Well you're doing a scintillating good job right now. Now I could give billions of reasons why a language filter is only beneficial, and everyone in the game saying the f-bomb every millisecond is superfluous. I'm not going to bother though since your so narrow-minded.

 

  

Message 70 of 136 (286 Views)
0 Likes