Splicer
80 posts

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Aug 4, 2012

Seriously. You may not agree with this guy but I dont understand why people get so defensive of the F-bomb. I personally think as well that the F bomb is used too much in the E3 demo. For me it is to the point where I think it sounds dumb. However I want to play the game and so I will deal with it.

Yet to deny this guy even the option to turn off bad language is closed minded by you. You attack him for his maturity for wanting options. He isnt asking to dumb the game down period. He is asking for an option. That doesnt hurt you or change your experience at all.

Take a chill pill, stop defending the f-bomb just because it's "Mature" and let the guy have is option. Why does that bother people.

Message 41 of 136 (735 Views)
Wastelander
864 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 4, 2012

James_b0ndjr wrote:

Seriously. You may not agree with this guy but I dont understand why people get so defensive of the F-bomb. I personally think as well that the F bomb is used too much in the E3 demo. For me it is to the point where I think it sounds dumb. However I want to play the game and so I will deal with it.

Yet to deny this guy even the option to turn off bad language is closed minded by you. You attack him for his maturity for wanting options. He isnt asking to dumb the game down period. He is asking for an option. That doesnt hurt you or change your experience at all.

Take a chill pill, stop defending the f-bomb just because it's "Mature" and let the guy have is option. Why does that bother people.

Nobody is saying that using the ''f-bomb' is mature Smiley Indifferent

There's a huge difference between implying that using the word makes you more 'mature' and the video game rating system which has a rating named "Mature". Why is this hard to grasp?

The game is rated 'mature' because it is aimed toward adults and that age range. If you can't understand or handle this concept, you probably shouldn't be playing this game to begin with. This astounds me how people don't understand this.

I am, in no way, defending the use of the f-word in itself. I AM defending NDs decision to have those words included in a correctly rated MATURE RATED game. If, it was rated E or T, then you have an argument. But the "MA" rating on a game indicates mature material, which includes language. It is completely on YOU if you pick up an "M" rated game and complain about the content.

While you're at it, go watch an "Unrated" movie, come to me and complain about the probable sexual content.

Message 42 of 136 (730 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 4, 2012

James_b0ndjr wrote:

He is asking for an option. That doesnt hurt you or change your experience at all.

This option would take more work than I think a lot of the complainers realize, and, considering the number of people who would use it is undeniably a pretty slim minority, putting any effort into it would be an unnecessary waste of time for Naughty Dog. To implement this they'd either have to go back and edit all lines of dialog that include the offensive language and censor the specific words out, or completely take out any lines that include such words.

The latter isn't an option because ND would be required to rework entire cutscenes with new voice acting and facial animation, and, since removing any lines with foul words would extensively reduce the number of lines available to characters during action sequences in the gameplay, would have to record new lines of clean dialog for such sequences (unless you want to hear the same handful of phrases repeated over and over again). The former would simply be a poor use of time. The audio editors would have to go back through dozens, if not hundreds of lines of dialog to remove every instance of foul language. While it would not exactly be a difficult task (though still a lengthy one, mind you), there are much more important things for game developers working on what is one of the most anticipated games of 2013 still in mid-development to focus on. Their time is limited, and I, along with most other players (and surely even the developers themselves), would much rather them work on things that, simply put, matter.

I really don't think I've ever seen such an irrationally vehement response to cursing in a game from its fanbase. The only sense I can make of it is that a lot of these players are fans of ND's previous games which don't quite delve into such mature themes, to which all I can say is welcome to the world of M-rated games.

Message 43 of 136 (721 Views)
First Son
10 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2012

There are F-bombs in R-rated movies, and yet people don't make a big deal about it. And yet when it's from a studio who has never done an M-rated game, people are suddenly surprised, yeah, the E3 demo overdid it, but it's a game for adults and people say worse in online multiplayer and COD games and yet no one is surprised.

Also keep in mind that this is a world where social mores have been pitched out a window, so politelness and civility have degenerated to the point of being nonexistent.

Message 44 of 136 (671 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1934 posts

Aug 20, 2012

OLDMAN543210 wrote:

Now that several people have responded, I’ll add my 2 cents …. Mature or Maturity has a wide range of definitions and levels along with one of them being Ratings which ND has placed on this Game and they have done well by doing so because it’s definitely called for. Some people want to make fun of others level of Maturity because it doesn’t match there’s (which sounds kind of immature to me).Let me be CLEAR … I feel that the content in this game is too much also, but I do understand the realism that ND is trying to achieve and hope they get it. Now that being said, why would I subject my wife, daughter and their friends and guest to such vulgar language as I play a game in the family room and they entertain in another? Not that I would condone the language if they were not around because I wouldn’t, but I do have enough respect to think of others that are around and not just my self-gratification and if that’s something you don’t think about in your home than that’s on you. See …. Different levels of maturity …. Doesn’t make me better than or less than …. Makes me different and I’m good with that …. “O” before I forget …. Someone said I live under a rock ….. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha …… Really! …. Why do you think I despise that kind of language? … Because I deal with it every day at work and I don’t have to deal with it in MY HOME. If this offends anyone I, apologize …. Not for what I believe but for you taking the offence because none was being sent …. Look …. Another level of maturity ….lol. Anyway, if there is not an option on the game to curb the language, I won’t be buying or playing it. Say what you will, I’m finished posting on this.

So you are saying your wife and daughters are okay with you shooting peoples heads off in a game, but they would not be able to hear any swear words? Hypocrite much?

Some people make life so much harder than it is.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 45 of 136 (632 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Aug 31, 2012

I can't wait for the fkn game to come out.

Message 46 of 136 (603 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2305 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2012

OLDMAN543210 wrote:

“OMG”

The profanity in this next game is abusive, after watching the trailer I’m afraid I have contracted a disease, it’s called “macular degeneration of the Gluteus maximus”, in English …. That means …. I just can’t see my butt paying to have that kind of language coming into my home. As good as the graphic are and the story may be, the language is way too much so I won’t be adding this game to my collection. I’ve read some of the other post, and if that kind of language is the world you live in I feel sorry for you, but it’s not the world I or most mature adults live in. And as a 50 yr old man, the excessive language is not a sign of maturity, it’s abusive. And the people asking for a filter, surely they see it as to much also. ND, you guys do excellent work, but why would you use this excessive language then put a mature rating on for just the “mature” adult to buy it but have a 14 yr old girl as a main character? Mmmmmmmm …little strange if ya ask me …. But keep up the good work, ill just have to pass on this game if there’s no filter.

So your not getting a game because of everyday language that people use all the time?

Plus, nobody said that curse words were mature. The mature label is on the game to signify which age level group it's intended for.

Also, what's wrong with having a teen in a mature game? You've never seen teenagers curse? I've heard a 7 year old curse on Xbox Live while playing Black Ops - a mature rated game. Lol.

No matter what they're rated, videogames will always be just videogames.

That's just how it is, my friend...

Message 47 of 136 (576 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 7, 2012

At first when I saw this thread I thought it was a joke. I can't believe people are getting all fired up over a couple F-bombs dropped in demo. The full game isnt even out yet and already people are whining and moaning about profanity. Sure if they have time, why not add a profanity filter...although it seems kind of odd that people are okay with beating the life out of eachother with metal pipes and murdering scavangers with shotguns but as soon as someone swears "oh no thats too far".

It has nothing to do with maturity. If this game was making fart jokes and cussing every 5 words (Conkers Bad Fur Day) then I'd understand. This game is supposed to be realistic, so obviously there's blood and swearing (hence the M rating). People need to pull their sticks out of their a**.

Message 48 of 136 (540 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 15, 2012
Cursing is not mature, but if you tkink that being hit in the face by a brick, getting shot and chased by zombies wouldn't make a normal person curse, than you are living in a different world than I do.
Message 49 of 136 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1783 posts

Oct 2, 2012

If you were the last person standing and lived in a post apocalyptic world.....you my friend would curse just as well

Message 50 of 136 (453 Views)