Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2013

If used right, swearing can add more drama to a story (especially a story that sets in an apocolyptic world). Makes you feel more for the characters too.

What did you expect anyway? The game's rated M for Mature.

Lol did you **bleep** grow up in a neighborhood where nobody swears?? I've been using "abusive language" since I was in Grade 6 like most people, didn't really start swearing in my mom's presence till around Grade 9-10.

PS. I'm 15 years old, for the record.

Message 91 of 136 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5484 posts

Jan 29, 2013

I wonder how long it'll take for everyone to twig that the OP was just trolling. The dude registered, posted a couple of troll posts, and was never seen again.

Message 92 of 136 (375 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Jan 29, 2013

I've only read the first page, but that's enough for me to type out a reply.

I'm rather surprised by some of the comments I am reading.  I don't even understand why there is a problem frankly, and why this thread was ever made.  I can hardly think of a game I've played this gen that doesn't have swearing.  They are merely words, and empty ones at that.  The qualifying and known 'cuss' words are also drastically different this century then they were last, and it will be the same story again in another one hundred years.  The words truly mean nothing, and it's only the current society and it's sensitive deficiencies that dictate what words are inappropriate and which are not.

Best example I can think of?  Balderdash was formerly a swear word.  In this moden society it's the name of a boardgame.  It's great, great grandson today is bullsh*t.
It's my opinion that these words only ever evolve (change) because certain groups get reverse-offended that their language is looked down upon by a different, judgmental group.

On top of that, it makes complete sense that the game would be stuffed full of the sorts of individuals that would consistenly use that kind of language.  I'll explain why.  Have you ever seen two people taunting before a fight?  It's a dance, a contest of words to threaten, demean, and extinguish the other person's momentum.  The problem is, that those who would fight and dance the verbal dance ahead of time, are not of the highest mental caliber.  Sorry if that's an insult, but understand that I am not speaking of actual martial arts, boxing, wrestling, or any other form of competition.  I'm talking about street scum and degenerates.  They fill in what could be more direct, but less effective insults, with things like "m*th*rf*ck*r.
Now, ask yourself, what sorts of people are going to be surviving in the post-apocalyptic world?  It's not the thinkers, the scientists, or the patient.  A smart man would attempt to find a way to settle a disagreement.  In the apocalypse however, while the intelligent person is attempting a disuasion, the thug thinks, "I'm starving, have a knife, and just killed you and every one around you so that I can eat."  That's pure human, and it's the survival of the fittest that would absolutely reign.
Combining the two elements - It's the same people who are already prone to fight, and would easily become killers/survivors in the apocalypse, that are going to throw out an extreme amount of cuss words in the hopes to mentally disarm and terrify their targets.  If they scream at a 14 year old girl about how they are going to do horrible things to her (I'm not typing it out, even with *s), she will lose her wits almost immediately, and the fella protecting her is going to possibly act rashly in the hopes of protecting her.

Message 93 of 136 (344 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013

i think they shouldve made a 16 version also, by this i mean instead of ellie saying 

"no f*ck you"

they could just re act it as 

" no screw you"

and also cut out the gore, lol 

but even if it doesnt make 16 they could still post it as no swearing version lol

i know swearing adds more depth to the to the game and you can get immersed into the game more, but if it were to also be relisted as a 16 or non swearing it would definitly mean more sales surely well, 1more sales for this unhappy customer anyway

Message 94 of 136 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Jan 30, 2013

This thread. IT LIVES?!

Message 95 of 136 (318 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jan 30, 2013
Obvious troll topic, can this please get deleted?
Message 96 of 136 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

Jan 30, 2013
your kidding right? -_-
Message 97 of 136 (292 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Jan 31, 2013

scoobycool wrote:

If used right, swearing can add more drama to a story (especially a story that sets in an apocolyptic world). Makes you feel more for the characters too.

Lol did you **bleep** grow up in a neighborhood where nobody swears?? I've been using "abusive language" since I was in Grade 6 like most people, didn't really start swearing in my mom's presence till around Grade 9-10.

Already a champion weed smoker at 15? tsk man, no wonder why some many people love impersonating your account.

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 98 of 136 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

I-Like-Pie45 wrote:

scoobycool wrote:

Already a champion weed smoker at 15? tsk man, no wonder why some many people love impersonating your account.

Yuup lol. As a child I always told myself that drugs are bad, and so is drinking, and I won't ever do them. This thought stayed in my head well into my teen years, but then on some random day during summer break, I got really f*king bored and decided to call up one of my friends who got high nearly every single day at school. And we got stoned. And that is how I started using weed.. bordem Smiley Tongue

Message 99 of 136 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Jan 31, 2013

This thread is getting off topic... please stay on the subject matter of abusive language in games.  Keep up the valid discussion and even if it was intended to be a troll thread thread have been some good discussions going on here.

Keep up the good work!

j/k do what you want.

Message 100 of 136 (246 Views)
0 Likes