Wastelander
596 posts

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Jul 17, 2012

calcunnon wrote:
I don't know about you guys but I've never gone to the cinema to watch a Certificate 18 movie and requested that they bleep out all the swear words. I kind of expect a lot of swearing when I pay for a movie of that certificate.

Exactly.

What bothers me more are the people using the argument that they don't want to "subject their children or families to that kind of profanity", yet they are more than willing to subject them to what is basically a virtual reality murder simulator?? As if the lack of profanity somehow masks the violence and gore that's on the screen.

Even if there was no profanity, you still couldn't play this game with your children or family present in the house. A filter makes absolutley no sense folks.

Message 31 of 136 (1,661 Views)
Fender Bender
4237 posts

Jul 17, 2012

I'm 16 right now but will be 17 by the time TLoU comes out if the dates I've heard are correct. Anyways, My parents aren't really fond of the cussing but they understand I'm a teenager so they let me play "M" rated games. My mom sometimes even watches me play them.

While I don't fully agree with the OP about toning down the language since ND has gone down the dark road with this game, I do agree that a filter would be nice for the people who aren't fond of the cussing.

My two cents.

UMG Support Supervisor/Uncharted 4 Head Admin.
Message 32 of 136 (1,657 Views)
Wastelander
638 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2012

Message 33 of 136 (1,654 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

Jul 18, 2012

Good news! ND will have the option to turn off swear words!

Here are instructions:

Go to the Options menu > Audio > Speech, then turn the slider ALL the way to 0. There, no more swear words!!!

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 34 of 136 (1,629 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jul 18, 2012

I honestly am at a loss for words. 

The game is mature for a reason. 'The Last of Us' isn't Uncharted. Joel isn't going to kill 10 guys and then spit out a sarcastic pun. 

The dark is dark, it is possible the darkest game I've ever seen and it is handling murder in a very brutal and very serious way. Harsh profanity goes along with the world and characters that have been created, what you see here is no worse than with real underworld characters alive today I am sure. 

There is a point to it. The story is not going to take the extreme tone lightly - thats exactly the point. 

Message 35 of 136 (1,611 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Jul 18, 2012

I hate the whole complaining about language since its a mature game. If you have a child can't you just put a headset on and the problem will be solved or play it at night time when the child is asleep. I for one love the language since it helps add to the characters and how harsh the world is by the way they talk. It's not going to be like uncharted where witty remarks are made every once in awhile because the whole apocalyptic scenario isn't something to be happy about. 

photo TLOU1_zpsd19d635d.jpg
Message 36 of 136 (1,605 Views)
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Jul 19, 2012

You are not going to say:

"Holy Roly" When you're leg is stabbed. It's realistic.

Also, I only caught like 5 swear words during the E3 demo. Is that bad? I don't care. You guys will miss out but I sure as hell am not.

Message 37 of 136 (1,590 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 22, 2012

I'm completely dumbfoudned by some of the responses I've seen to the so-called "abusive language" in TLOU. Seriously, have some of you people even played an M rated game before, or seen an R rated movie, or watched an HBO original? I wouldn't consider the amount of swearing in TLOU to be even close to over the top, so if you're going to chastise this game for it then it's one in a long list of games that does not meet your ridiculous standards.

Also, to say you're offended by the words moreso than the violence is downright absrud. Whether or not violence and swearing have a relation is completely irrelevant. There is something skewed with you if you claim to be offended by a **bleep** word and call for its censoring yet hold no grudge against the brutal depiction of a shotgun blowing someone's brains out. (EDIT: Apparently the oh so offensive and dreaded "d word" is even bleeped on these forums?)

People that are so easily offended by swearing need to face reality and realize that words aren't going to kill you, and that whether or not you use them yourself is not going to stop other people from doing it, especially not a game developer designing a savage, post-apocolyptic world whose inhabitants are driven by nothing more than their own instict of survival.

Message 38 of 136 (1,534 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Jul 23, 2012
I would rather tell somone to eff off than smash their face into a cabient set them on fire then shoot them in the face from close range with a shotgun which would blow your face off, anyway my opinion on swearing in games is no different from real life if you cant handle a word being said then you are very weak unless your religious but then you shouldnt be playing games since im guessing its like against jesus, ok im going to stop ROLL ON LAST OF US!!
 photo psd_signature_mass_effect_by_urrrrrrrrr-d4rckz9_zps4cdccc04.png
Message 39 of 136 (1,511 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 23, 2012

Here's a suggestion, if you can't handle the game (the way the devs are making it) then DON'T BUY IT. I swear, some jacka** has to come along and try to ruin it for the majority. Games are rated a certain rating for a reason...I just don't know anymore.

Message 40 of 136 (1,499 Views)
0 Likes