Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
593 posts

Re: OMG .... Abusive language

Jul 13, 2012

Meh.  I don't get it.  People seem to be content with people being burned alive and having their faces blown off with shotguns but the F is just too much.  You're in a world where everything has been decimated by nature, disease and infection; with people barely scraping by and trying to survive.  Do you think they care about their language during such a period of time?  How about we replace the F bombs with the word "fudge"?  This is an M rated game for a reason.

Message 11 of 136 (873 Views)
Sackboy
448 posts

Jul 13, 2012

mario507 wrote:

The whole arguement where " You don't don't like to hear language but you like to see a guy get his head blown off" is completely stupid. Profanity and intense violence are two different things and are treated as such. A friend of mine cusses like a sailor ,but he's squeamish so he can't watch movies or play games with guts spilling out everywhere. No, profanity doesn't make any game realistic, it's childish and superfluous. So I guess games like GTA 4 are SUPER realistic especially when someone spouts the F-bomb just when you bump into someone?

Allow me to rip this post to shreds, if you will.

No, they are not. They can go hand in hand, like peanut butter and jelly. Keep in mind that a 50 year old man said he will not "let that language into his home", and that "it's not mature, it's abusive". Tell me what is more abusive, hearing a few swear words every now and again, or acting out murder in virtual reality. The answer is the latter. Ironic that he calls the swearing abusive, but he would have no problem shooting a man's head off in a video game. If you are 50 years old and cannot tolerate a few swear words, then you are not mature enough for the "M" rating, sorry.

It lends to the collective realism. Of course swearing by itself won't make or break the realism of the game, but what they are trying to do in this game is emulate the reality of a post-apocalyptic world in which your life is constantly in danger. People cuss all the time over the simplest of things. If you don't believe that having a gun pointed at you, or being shot at would cause an average person to utter a cuss or two, then you need to either crawl out from under your rock or have it done to you. If I were shot at, the next words coming out of my mouth would definitely not be "fiddlesticks".

Again, profanity doesn't make or break the reality of a game. That being said, some games handle it better than others.

Message 12 of 136 (864 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Jul 14, 2012

Now that several people have responded, I’ll add my 2 cents …. Mature or Maturity has a wide range of definitions and levels along with one of them being Ratings which ND has placed on this Game and they have done well by doing so because it’s definitely called for. Some people want to make fun of others level of Maturity because it doesn’t match there’s (which sounds kind of immature to me).Let me be CLEAR … I feel that the content in this game is too much also, but I do understand the realism that ND is trying to achieve and hope they get it. Now that being said, why would I subject my wife, daughter and their friends and guest to such vulgar language as I play a game in the family room and they entertain in another? Not that I would condone the language if they were not around because I wouldn’t, but I do have enough respect to think of others that are around and not just my self-gratification and if that’s something you don’t think about in your home than that’s on you. See …. Different levels of maturity …. Doesn’t make me better than or less than …. Makes me different and I’m good with that …. “O” before I forget …. Someone said I live under a rock ….. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha …… Really! …. Why do you think I despise that kind of language? … Because I deal with it every day at work and I don’t have to deal with it in MY HOME. If this offends anyone I, apologize …. Not for what I believe but for you taking the offence because none was being sent …. Look …. Another level of maturity ….lol. Anyway, if there is not an option on the game to curb the language, I won’t be buying or playing it. Say what you will, I’m finished posting on this.

Message 13 of 136 (833 Views)
Wastelander
593 posts

Jul 14, 2012

OLDMAN543210 wrote:

Now that several people have responded, I’ll add my 2 cents …. Mature or Maturity has a wide range of definitions and levels along with one of them being Ratings which ND has placed on this Game and they have done well by doing so because it’s definitely called for. Some people want to make fun of others level of Maturity because it doesn’t match there’s (which sounds kind of immature to me).Let me be CLEAR … I feel that the content in this game is too much also, but I do understand the realism that ND is trying to achieve and hope they get it. Now that being said, why would I subject my wife, daughter and their friends and guest to such vulgar language as I play a game in the family room and they entertain in another? Not that I would condone the language if they were not around because I wouldn’t, but I do have enough respect to think of others that are around and not just my self-gratification and if that’s something you don’t think about in your home than that’s on you. See …. Different levels of maturity …. Doesn’t make me better than or less than …. Makes me different and I’m good with that …. “O” before I forget …. Someone said I live under a rock ….. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha …… Really! …. Why do you think I despise that kind of language? … Because I deal with it every day at work and I don’t have to deal with it in MY HOME. If this offends anyone I, apologize …. Not for what I believe but for you taking the offence because none was being sent …. Look …. Another level of maturity ….lol. Anyway, if there is not an option on the game to curb the language, I won’t be buying or playing it. Say what you will, I’m finished posting on this.

So you'd be fine with subjecting your wife and child to snapping necks, lighting people on fire, shooting people, etc., but now cursing?  Is that correct?

Message 14 of 136 (813 Views)
Sackboy
448 posts

Jul 14, 2012

OLDMAN543210 wrote:

If you don't like the language, dont buy the game. Period the end.

This entire thread was uneccesary.

Message 15 of 136 (808 Views)
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2012

Reckless87o wrote:

mario507 wrote:

The whole arguement where " You don't don't like to hear language but you like to see a guy get his head blown off" is completely stupid. Profanity and intense violence are two different things and are treated as such. A friend of mine cusses like a sailor ,but he's squeamish so he can't watch movies or play games with guts spilling out everywhere. No, profanity doesn't make any game realistic, it's childish and superfluous. So I guess games like GTA 4 are SUPER realistic especially when someone spouts the F-bomb just when you bump into someone?

Allow me to rip this post to shreds, if you will.

No, they are not. They can go hand in hand, like peanut butter and jelly. Keep in mind that a 50 year old man said he will not "let that language into his home", and that "it's not mature, it's abusive". Tell me what is more abusive, hearing a few swear words every now and again, or acting out murder in virtual reality. The answer is the latter. Ironic that he calls the swearing abusive, but he would have no problem shooting a man's head off in a video game. If you are 50 years old and cannot tolerate a few swear words, then you are not mature enough for the "M" rating, sorry.

It lends to the collective realism. Of course swearing by itself won't make or break the realism of the game, but what they are trying to do in this game is emulate the reality of a post-apocalyptic world in which your life is constantly in danger. People cuss all the time over the simplest of things. If you don't believe that having a gun pointed at you, or being shot at would cause an average person to utter a cuss or two, then you need to either crawl out from under your rock or have it done to you. If I were shot at, the next words coming out of my mouth would definitely not be "fiddlesticks".bb\\

Again, profanity doesn't make or break the reality of a game. That being said, some games handle it better than others.

Words can hurt too.  If you play your cards right you can literately make someone cry or pretty much anything you want them to feel. Yes, violence and profanity are different things, one is physical while the other is mental. The only thing that they have in common is that they both usually happen when you're angry, frustrated, or upset.

He doesn't like to hear them. I'm pretty sure the OP can tolerate profanity but he just doesn't like to hear it, I can relate to him because my parents are the exact same way. Just because someone is 15,30,50, or even 100 years old doesn't make him/her immature just because he/she just has different morals than you.

Not everybody is into profanity. You have to realize sir not everybody in the entire world swears. I was raised in Christain environment so pretty much every person I know doesn't use or is against profanityHypothetically let's say that there is a gun pointed at me. Would I be scared? Yes. Would I go all out and say "F*** this, f*** you you s***ty  c*** sucking monkey f***"? No. I would rather reason with me or just give him whatever he wants depending on the situation.

In the end what is so bad about a language filter? It will only bring options to people.

Message 16 of 136 (795 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Jul 14, 2012
This game is rated M for Mature, you should not play it with your kids in the room, you should play it only when mature people are in the room. If that bothers you and you want your kids to see blood and kills, then just turn the subtitles on and the sound of since they won't be looking at the screen right?
If you can't handle this then don't get the game.
Message 17 of 136 (785 Views)
Wastelander
864 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2012

OLDMAN543210 wrote:

Why would you subject them to that to begin with :smileyindifferent: 

This isn't rocket science.

If you don't want them to hear "bad words", don't play it in their presence. END OF. If you don't want to hear bad words as it offends you. Don't play it. Obviously you mistook the "M" rating for a kid-friendly rating.

Yes, it really is that simple. 

This is not ND's problem. This is your problem This is their game. They are selling it to you. You do not have to buy it. And they should not censor their own work because people don't understand what "M" means or how a rating system works.

And to the person who said that swearing and violence are two different things and is not comparable. I'm calling BS. Like someone else said, they go hand in hand.

People need to stop expecting others to babysit and coddle them when playing stuff like this. No one is forcing you to play a Mature rated game. 

Grow up and start taking responsibility for what you watch and listen too.

Message 18 of 136 (772 Views)
Splicer
56 posts

Jul 14, 2012
Thats one of the sad things with extreme christians.. They are no better than muslims.. But they dont care about killing and raping.. Swearing is a deadsin though.. Ah what the hell we can just go to Church afterwards as our priests say.

Be kind to each other.
Message 19 of 136 (747 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18768 posts

Jul 14, 2012
CoD has tons of this already and parents go out and buy it for their 10 year old children.

The language is fine. It's a post-apocalyptic survival game and I'm sure people would be angry and shouting f-bombs everywhere if they wanted to.

Case and point, the language is fine to me.
Message 20 of 136 (733 Views)