Feb 17 2013
By: AKyemeni PlayStation MVP 7284 posts

No Numbered Rankings in Multiplayer

26 replies 3124 views Edited Feb 17, 2013
I don't want them. I'm not just talking about leaderboards. I'm also talking about the little number next to your name. These "skill" levels just create misery for everyone involved. How many countless n00bs (as in new players) are discouraged everyday in multiplayer games because they see players with extremely high numbers next to their names? I only want the ability to check players' stats online with a computer on ND's website. You should not have the ability, in any way, to check another person's statistics, of any degree, ingame. Now, some of you may ask, how can we possibly be expressive to other players? Simple. We kill the Batman(jk). We can decorate nameplates that show up when one clicks your name in the lobby. These decorations can range from backgrounds to nicknames, like COD or PASBR. This notion of not having rankings also maintains the realism of TLOU, of not knowing what you will encounter, the idea of human unpredictability. Thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (3,124 Views)
I Only Post Everything
874 posts

Re: No Numbered Rankings in Multiplayer

Feb 17, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
I don't want them. I'm not just talking about leaderboards. I'm also talking about the little number next to your name. These "skill" levels just create misery for everyone involved. How many countless n00bs (as in new players) are discouraged everyday in multiplayer games because they see players with extremely high numbers next to their names? I only want the ability to check players' stats online with a computer on ND's website. You should not have the ability, in any way, to check another person's statistics, of any degree, ingame. Now, some of you may ask, how can we possibly be expressive to other players? Simple. We kill the Batman(jk). We can decorate nameplates that show up when one clicks your name in the lobby. These decorations can range from backgrounds to nicknames, like COD or PASBR. This notion of not having rankings also maintains the realism of TLOU, of not knowing what you will encounter, the idea of human unpredictability. Thoughts?

Should only be visible to the player. Off topic, but I don't want to see players name in a match, it makes the game unattractive and messed up and no KDR either.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (3,116 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7284 posts

Feb 17, 2013
That's what I'm saying. You can only see your own.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (3,111 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
443 posts

Feb 17, 2013

I support your idea having no rank would be just better overall for the game. Having ranks does discourage new players and it also causes the high ranking players to pick on them and kill them over and over.... Ranks if implemented in anyway should be just for weapons.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (3,101 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
873 posts

Feb 17, 2013

Levels are motivation. It was addicting is PSABR trying to get as high as possible and it was cool seeing how high some other people were. Unless there were an absolute MASSIVE amount of customization options there's no reason to scrap levels all together. However I do agree the HUD shouldn't emphasize them. Putting them under the name of the player or even giving the name of the player could get really bothersome. What about just letting them see your name when they kill you and letting all the info out at the end of the match. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (3,088 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2343 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

A sort of player-card system would be awesome. Different colors and game-relevant graphics unlocked as MP challenges are completed, instead of a dull traditional ranking system. I like this way of showing off a player's status better than rank, really, as rank doesn't ever necessarily equate to skill anyway.

I too hate publicly displayed stats as everyone becomes stat-queens instead of playing because the game is fun. Hopefully the multiplayer gamemodes are designed as such so that things like KDR and SPM would be superfluous.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (3,076 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013

I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with ranks/skill levels, at least for matchmaking purposes. When you're playing a multiplayer game, you most likely are going to want to play people that are on a similar skill level, and having some sort of ranking system can regulate that. It's leaderboards and special high level unlockables that encourage people to boost/game the system, causing misery for the people who just want to play the game to have some fun.

As long as TLOU has a decent matchmaking system, I won't mind some kind of skill level. However, it must be handled correctly. It should take into account many factors (kills/objective points, point to death ratio, time to death ratio, assists, quit percentage, etc.) and adjust your level accordingly. The problem with games like CoD is that your level only goes in one direction - up, because it's not really a skill level, it's just an abitrary system that awards you for eventually getting enough experience points. That shouldn't happen. Your skill level should raise/lower according to your ability based on several statistics, and you should be matched up to similar players.

I do agree though that skill level should not be a focus of multiplayer. Make it more of a background stat that's just used to match you up with the right players, not an identifying number used for bragging rights.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (3,065 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7284 posts

Feb 17, 2013
@A-Likely-Story - I agree with you. Stats should still be taken in account with matchmaking. I just don't want it to be easily visualized like every other MP. You can should only see your own stats, goals, and accomplishments, not anyone elses. I do also agree having an MGO style ranking system is better than having a "only up" leveling system. But still, I'd rather have no public stats to be available in game.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (3,055 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4073 posts

Feb 17, 2013
Having a ranked or level up system drives people to play the game. I don't know what it is, but you just get that level of satisfaction when you level up.

I'm not saying it could never work, I'm just saying it could backfire on them and i could ensure you people will come and complain on the forums about not having a level system.

-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (3,003 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7284 posts

Feb 17, 2013
@icyfire- I do want a leveling system. Just not one where the public can see it easily. You would still need to level up to unlock stuff. Instead of having a number, just have a myriad of ways to decorate your character and nameplate.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (3,001 Views)
0 Likes