Highlighted
Dec 06 2013
By: steelgohst First Son 8 posts

New Last of Us Characters for a new game

13 replies 488 views Edited Dec 6, 2013

I think anyone who has played the last of us would be in agreement that there should definitely be another, and the idea of a PS4 exclusive last of us game, with the immense amount of detailing that it would make possible is amazing - I would suggest though, that the story of Ellie and Joel has been told, and is perfect as is and should not be continued.. but the world is a big place, and a new game should tell a new story.

Perhaps the new story could interlink in certain places with the first.. maybe you could play as a young  Idealist, eventually working with the fireflies and fighting your way across country to find a safe place to make a base before eventually being shot in the stomach and head by Joel in a hospital corridor at the end of the game..

Or maybe the story of the family who lived in that big empty ranch house Joel finds Ellie in after she makes her horseback escape..

Or a member of the community living in the sewers led by Ish , perhaps Susan and Kyle and family? or Ish's story?

Or the story of Joels brother, Tommy..

Any of these would be fantastic, and there are many, many more possiblities, enough for many games, but it could even be  someone completely unrelated to the first game, maybe in another part of the world entirely.. Last of Us London?

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 14 (488 Views)
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Re: New Last of Us Characters for a new game

Dec 6, 2013

steelgohst wrote:

I think anyone who has played the last of us would be in agreement that there should definitely be another, and the idea of a PS4 exclusive last of us game, with the immense amount of detailing that it would make possible is amazing - I would suggest though, that the story of Ellie and Joel has been told, and is perfect as is and should not be continued.. but the world is a big place, and a new game should tell a new story.

Perhaps the new story could interlink in certain places with the first.. maybe you could play as a young  Idealist, eventually working with the fireflies and fighting your way across country to find a safe place to make a base before eventually being shot in the stomach and head by Joel in a hospital corridor at the end of the game..

Or maybe the story of the family who lived in that big empty ranch house Joel finds Ellie in after she makes her horseback escape..

Or a member of the community living in the sewers led by Ish , perhaps Susan and Kyle and family? or Ish's story?

Any of these would be fantastic, and there are many, many more possiblities, enough for many games, but it could even be  someone completely unrelated to the first game, maybe in another part of the world entirely.. Last of Us London?

Thoughts?

Leave Last of us as standalone or continue joel and Ellie's relationship.

Adding new charcters for a sequel just kills it for me, I came for the Last of us because I knew it'll be emotional and their bond is way too attaching to ignore now.

The call for a companion in a post-apocalypse is needed in order to survive and die together with.
Message 2 of 14 (454 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

Dec 8, 2013
what you're talking about would be good for a book series
Message 3 of 14 (417 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 9, 2013
No i think that joel And ellie are the essence of the game
Message 4 of 14 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11242 posts

Dec 11, 2013
I think TLoU 2 should have Joel and Ellie.

Maybe it could tell the story of a grown up Ellie, Joel dies because he's too old... would be fun, imagine the possibilities!

Message 5 of 14 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
41 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 11, 2013

To me, The Last of Us franchise is all about Joel and Ellie. Admitedly the first time I finished the game I was so satisfied with its conclusion that I felt Naughty Dog should just end it there. The ending was ambiguous yet conclusive and it didn't seem like there was much potential for creating a follow-up that would live up to the original game. Since then, I have warmed up to the idea but I don't want a situation à la BioShock 2 where the writer of the first game has nothing to do with its sequel. If Joel and Ellie return, so must Neil (and Bruce!) 

As much as I love the post-apocalyptic setting ND has created, everything to me is just a backdrop for the development of Joel and Ellie's bond. I don't really have much interest in revisiting this universe with new characters, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it off successfully.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"Dope beats, dope rhymes. This Hip Hop ain't really that hard."
Message 6 of 14 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Dec 13, 2013

DILLAsirens wrote:

To me, The Last of Us franchise is all about Joel and Ellie. Admitedly the first time I finished the game I was so satisfied with its conclusion that I felt Naughty Dog should just end it there. The ending was ambiguous yet conclusive and it didn't seem like there was much potential for creating a follow-up that would live up to the original game. Since then, I have warmed up to the idea but I don't want a situation à la BioShock 2 where the writer of the first game has nothing to do with its sequel. If Joel and Ellie return, so must Neil (and Bruce!) 

As much as I love the post-apocalyptic setting ND has created, everything to me is just a backdrop for the development of Joel and Ellie's bond. I don't really have much interest in revisiting this universe with new characters, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it off successfully

I totally agree with the first thing you said, the whole story is about them and I personally want them to continue with Joel and Ellie. Theres so many ideas and so many things they can do for them 2 characters, they should just stick with Jo and Ellie.
Bathory/Quorthon 1983-2004/Twilight Of The Gods
See you in Valhalla
Message 7 of 14 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Dec 14, 2013

tomtix wrote:

steelgohst wrote:

Thoughts?

Leave Last of us as standalone or continue joel and Ellie's relationship.

Adding new charcters for a sequel just kills it for me, I came for the Last of us because I knew it'll be emotional and their bond is way too attaching to ignore now.

Well said, sir!

Message 8 of 14 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

Dec 14, 2013

steelgohst wrote:

Thoughts?

It seems like I'm one of the few people that agrees with you. As much as everyone loves the two characters you can have too much of a good thing. If ND were to base a new game on the same relationship dynamic again I just don't see how it could have the same impact the second time. They would even be in danger of spoiling what has gone before. For one I agree their story has been told and their character arcs are complete. Where else is there for the relationship to go? Also if we were to find out what happened next then the geat ambiguous ending from the first game would be cheapened. You can't improve on perfection so move on.

Message 9 of 14 (223 Views)
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Dec 17, 2013

renatabls wrote:
I think TLoU 2 should have Joel and Ellie.

Maybe it could tell the story of a grown up Ellie, Joel dies because he's too old... would be fun, imagine the possibilities!

My same thoughts as you
Due mind you I wouldnt want Joel to die lol Jo and Ellie are the best.

Bathory/Quorthon 1983-2004/Twilight Of The Gods
See you in Valhalla
Message 10 of 14 (174 Views)
0 Likes