I Only Post Everything
874 posts

Re: Naughty Dog, I just want to say...

Jun 12, 2013

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

I actually don't think 7-9 mill is that unrealistic for an exclusive. Nintendo's and MS's do it (or close to it) quite often. Up to now it's been unrealistic for PS3 exclusives.

That's what I really hate. Every time we talk about any other game having "good sales", we usually mean 5-6 million+. But whenever we're talking about a PS3 exclusive, we always say "It sold pretty well...for a PS3 exclusive." That usually only means around 2, maybe 3 mill.

I hope that TLOU will be the game to change that, and it's in a pretty good position to do so. PS3's install base is over 70 million (probably the most active it'll ever be before next gen starts), this game has received tons of marketing, has perfect scores everywhere, and it's in a nice little launch window with absolutely no notable competition. Only thing really working against it is that it's a new IP. So I think it could very well happen.

The Halo games sell 8-11 mill for Microsoft, and Mario and Zelda games for Nintendo. And Playstation has Gran Turismo 5 that sold over 10 million. And may I remind you that these games are adopted from previous gen consoles. The Last Of Us is a new IP. Don't be surprised if it sells 6 million, but 6 million for a new IP is extreme.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 25 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1771 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

1) There's no reason to exclude Gears and Halo. They're exclusives (one of them being a new IP) and they sell extremely well. I already mentioned Xbox's other exlusives too. Plus how is your "bundled" argument relevant when the same thing happened with MGS4 and GT5 on the PS3 side?

2) Oh, I'm sorry. Gears 3 did 5.9 mill, not 6. Big difference. And it did that all in just 2 years

3) Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with your GT, GoW, and MGS4 arguments. They're some of the biggest franchises in the industry so of course they'd sell well. I never said they don't count: I simply meant to say that they're the exception, not the rule. Hence all of the other Sony exclusives I listed that didn't sell very well.

And one thing to keep in mind? The PS2 did not have a 140 million userbase in 2004 when MGS3 and GT4 came out, nor in 2005 when GoW1 came out. Plus GoW2 came out in 2007, when the industry had already moved on to next gen and PS2 took a back seat to the PS3. You're skewing current install base numbers with past releases.

4) Of course it's relevant that it took LBP 5 years to get to 5 million. Sony (and all publishers really) want games that sell extremely well as quickly as possible, so that they could use that money to invest in new games asap and continue their business. That's what you seem to leave out of all of your arguments (especially your Uncharted 2 argument: like I said, 6 million in 4 years isn't that great when Gears of War can do it in just 2). How quickly you sell is just as relevent (if not more) than how much you sell.

5) When did I ever say that? All I said is that PS3 games don't tend to be breakout successes that have massive week 1 sales like the rest of the competition, and that's probably why not a lot of my friends talk about them. It would be nice if Naughty Dog's game was the first, because I think they deserve the acclaim.

6) Don't make excuses for Starhawk: it was supposed to be Sony's major multiplayer shooter of 2012 and it failed so miserably that LightBox no longer makes PS3 games. Heavenly Sword is at 1.5 million NOW: again, those numbers in 6 years are pitiful. Same with MAG and ModNation: both came out in 2010, but have only done about a million in 3 years? Terrible.

7) I'm mostly addressing the people who are attacking me because of my bold 7-9 million prediction (like yourself). Obviously it's unprecedented for most PS3 exclusives. I'm just saying it would be nice if this game destroyed everyone's expectations and sold like hotcakes. I feel like way too many of you guys are interpreting this as "Naughty Dog, your game better sell 7-9 million or else it sucks," which isn't what I was saying at all. This game will probably do around 3 or 4 million and that would be fine, but it would be even better if it could do close to 7.

Who cares if it's a little unrealistic? It's a hope, not an expectation.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 25 (107 Views)
Sackboy
468 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

Good post OP, I agree, ND really deserves it.

..even if some people thought that U3 was not that good it's just dumb to think that U3 is a low-quality game, it's still an awesome game...yeah the MP last less time than U2 MP for me too, it doesn't make the game bad at all...

ND just released Top-Quality titles since a lot of time so yeah, they deserves sales better than the highest expectations!

The game cannot jsut reach the hardocre...casuals are important, we can't ask to ND to make the game for the hardcores only...it doesn't work like that.  If we want that ND keep giving us superb titles for a long time to come on PS4 they must have good numbers, not just in the reviews!

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 25 (96 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
874 posts

Jun 12, 2013

Read my comments. Gears of War sells just like Uncharted.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 25 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jun 12, 2013

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

1) There's no reason to exclude Gears and Halo. They're exclusives (one of them being a new IP) and they sell extremely well. I already mentioned Xbox's other exlusives too. Plus how is your "bundled" argument relevant when the same thing happened with MGS4 and GT5 on the PS3 side?

2) Oh, I'm sorry. Gears 3 did 5.9 mill, not 6. Big difference. And it did that all in just 2 years

3) Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with your GT, GoW, and MGS4 arguments. They're some of the biggest franchises in the industry so of course they'd sell well. I never said they don't count: I simply meant to say that they're the exception, not the rule. Hence all of the other Sony exclusives I listed that didn't sell very well.

And one thing to keep in mind? The PS2 did not have a 140 million userbase in 2004 when MGS3 and GT4 came out, nor in 2005 when GoW1 came out. Plus GoW2 came out in 2007, when the industry had already moved on to next gen and PS2 took a back seat to the PS3. You're skewing current install base numbers with past releases.

4) Of course it's relevant that it took LBP 5 years to get to 5 million. Sony (and all publishers really) want games that sell extremely well as quickly as possible, so that they could use that money to invest in new games asap and continue their business. That's what you seem to leave out of all of your arguments (especially your Uncharted 2 argument: like I said, 6 million in 4 years isn't that great when Gears of War can do it in just 2). How quickly you sell is just as relevent (if not more) than how much you sell.

5) When did I ever say that? All I said is that PS3 games don't tend to be breakout successes that have massive week 1 sales like the rest of the competition, and that's probably why not a lot of my friends talk about them. It would be nice if Naughty Dog's game was the first, because I think they deserve the acclaim.

6) Don't make excuses for Starhawk: it was supposed to be Sony's major multiplayer shooter of 2012 and it failed so miserably that LightBox no longer makes PS3 games. Heavenly Sword is at 1.5 million NOW: again, those numbers in 6 years are pitiful. Same with MAG and ModNation: both came out in 2010, but have only done about a million in 3 years? Terrible.

7) I'm mostly addressing the people who are attacking me because of my bold 7-9 million prediction (like yourself). Obviously it's unprecedented for most PS3 exclusives. I'm just saying it would be nice if this game destroyed everyone's expectations and sold like hotcakes. I feel like way too many of you guys are interpreting this as "Naughty Dog, your game better sell 7-9 million or else it sucks," which isn't what I was saying at all. This game will probably do around 3 or 4 million and that would be fine, but it would be even better if it could do close to 7.

Who cares if it's a little unrealistic? It's a hope, not an expectation.

Uncharted is a New IP & has sold more than the Gears Franchise overall, so that leaves Halo & GT both of which are well established & sales are equal. GT5 was only bundled in Europe Unlike Forza & Fable that were bundled with EVERY 360 for a year. MGS4 never got a bundle it, the game was launched with Special Edition PS3's, limited edition as well.

And UC3 took less than 2 years to reach 6 million... your point?

Most of Sony's exclusives sell well, Sony releases tons of variety games if you seriously expect every Sony exclusive to sell 5-6 million in order to be considered a success then you're simply delusional, 90% of games released don't sell over 2 million, & they don't need to because most games will profit with 1 million sales. Halo & Gears are the only 360 exclusives that sell over 6 million this myth about Sony games not selling is stupid to be frank.

The PS2 was over 80 million in 2004 & over 100 million in 2005 & still MGS3 sold less than 4 million & GOW did around 4 million, GOW 2 came out in 2007 when the PS3 had no games & was failing at retail nor was it available in Europe yet ( Sony's biggest Market). I'm not skewing anything, my point GOW 3, GT5, MGS4 sold more & at a faster rate on PS3 even with a smaller install base.

LBP was a new IP released in 2007 when the PS3 less than 20 million users it managed to continue selling for another 5 years i'm sure a publisher would prefer longevity over being front loaded then falling off the charts,. Uc2 released in 2009 went 6x before UC3 was released I don't know where you're getting your data. UC3 sold more than Gears 3 in a shorter time & it's still selling 10-15k weekly where as Gears 3 has been off the charts for months. Your analogy is flawed because a game can sell 90% of it's Lifetime sales in the first 2 weeks then it's forgetten no publisher wants that, the first Uncharted sold 88k first week but went on to sell 4.5 million. 

GOW 3 & Ascensions, Heavy Rain, LBP2, GT5, UC2 & 3, MGS4 all had first week sales, Again .. please to list New IP's released by Microsoft that had huge first week sales?? You won't be able to.

Starhawk never got any promotion & it was following up a game that didn't need a sequel, it didn't get raving reviews, it was the complete opposite of it's predecessor everything was against it. Heavenly Sword came out when the PS3 had less than 10 million sold are you serious?? Games that get released within the 1st 6 months normally don't sell well throught that console cycle & the game became hard to find as time went by. MAG is an online ONly game it sold over 1 million that is a success you can't spin it, Modnation Racers lol, who cares Kart racers only sell well on Nintendo.

I think we are simply saying you should set realistic *hopes*.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 25 (85 Views)