Jun 08 2012
By: Goldhawk1 Keyblade Wielder 10160 posts

My issues with TLoU

28 replies 82 views Edited Jun 8, 2012

So, watching TLoU gameplay I have a few issues that I'd like to point out and maybe get answers to.  These aren't huge issues like "omg this game's so bad I'm not going to buy it" issues but more like "maybe this would be a good idea" issue.

1. The F-bomb

F@#$ you, you mother F@#$, F@#$ off, F@#$, F@#$ing @#$ hole, etc

I noticed a lot of this.  Coincidentally, it's my favorite word, but some games use it too much.  Prototype used it really awkwardly and it made me really not enjoy playing that game. 

I understand the environment and the masculine battles and such it'll be used a lot but just don't go overboard with it.  We don't need an F-bomb in every sentence.  Not that there was one, I just don't want this to become a Boondock Saints the video game. 

2. Bound in reality

It's good that some things are bound in reality, but you have to remember...this isn't reality.  Even if you tried to make it 100% like real life, it's in a setting that hasn't actually happened yet.  Breaking the binds of reality might not be a bad thing as long as it's somewhat believable. 

Not only that, but I heard somewhere that zombies might not be the 'main' foe in the game.  I heard that renegade people will be present more than zombies.  This is okay, if  you can implement the zombies in a way that'd make us crap out pants at the sighting of a shadow that looked like it could be a zombie's shadow.

Not only that, but you have to realize how many people are on earth.  If you have waves and waves and waves of enemies at once or throughout the game becuase...it's just not real...there aren't enough people left on earth to make crazy gun fights every 5 minutes.  If we spend too much time killing people it'll feel unrealistic. 

This leads me into another thing I heard during an interview.  "if someone steals they'll get killed by the military"  um...what?  No way this would happen, especially if this is a post apocalyptic setting.  The first thing on everyone's minds would be to get things back to the way they were...killing people for something like this during a time of catastrophic need would just be unreal.

3. Combat

I noticed a lot of this game has super realistic combat.  Joel doesn't seem like he has protagonist invincibility, we should keep the cutscenes that way too. 

But one thing they need to stress is the abilities of the enemies.  Lots of games just throw lots of AI at you and they don't react like someone intelligent, leaving you feeling like a super bad ass putting one bullet into everyone while they pump clips into you. 

Being able to wrestle around with Joel, surviving more than one punch, etc.  The enemies should feel as powerful as Joel, imo.

4. Health Bar

I guess this is good for the atmosphere but I will greatly miss having regenerating health. 

5. Ellie

We should be able to control her for tactical reasons.  Say we run out of bullets and we could have her sneak around the whole time so that when we do run out of ammo or need someone to get stabbed from behind, we can have here right where we need her. 

If we can't control her, her AI needs to be VERY smart.  Lots of games (even Uncharted) doesn't seem to have very amazing AI.  This worries me a lot because Ellie is a huge part of the story, and if she acts weird or goofs up a lot it's going to ruin the experience. 

Also, can she die?  Does she have health?  This is another thing that needs to be looked into.  If she can die that'd get annoying but then again if she can't it'd lose a lot of the sense of realism.

6. Collecting goods

I like this, but it can also be very annoying.  Dead space had very scarce supplies and you had to use a LOT of supplies at certain parts.  I ended up not finishing the first dead space and not taking interest in the other dead space games because of this. 

You get to one part where you need to use tons of ammo, then you scavenge around and get 3 bullets..run into 9 more guys with tons of ammo and you only kill off 2 or 3 enemies with your ammo...they're still shooting you and you have nothing left with low health. 

7. Gore

I love that this game is much more gorey than Uncharted, but will it get to God of War levels?  I noticed you shot someone in the face with a shotgun in the gameplay demo but... what happens afterwards?  Is he in one piece with blood all over his face?  Is his face caved in slightly?  Is half his face going to be gone? 

I'd love to see some realistic gore. 

8. Changable story?

In a new article I found, it seems that the environments change?  They looked at the poster during a second showing of the demo and they had a completely different conversation, and never talked about the bridge shortly after seeing the poster.  They walk into the hotel, and instead they don't see a ladder?  Seems like certain parts of the map can be changed?

I don't know if the description wasn't just detailed enough, but they made it seem as if because they looked at the poster, they had to take a different route.

I like the fact that you can approach situations differently every time. 

9. Ellie's intelligence or lack there of. 

What disturbs me about this game is the lack of Ellie's knowledge.  Now, this might be acceptable given she was in a safe zone for a long time, or it happened within her life span...but there has already been 2 instances where she seems surprised that Joel kills someone and she's like "oh my god!" like she's not used to it. 

I hope that the story somewhat explains it. 

Message 24 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

Re: My issues with TLoU

Jun 6, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:

So, watching TLoU gameplay I have a few issues that I'd like to point out and maybe get answers to.  These aren't huge issues like "omg this game's so bad I'm not going to buy it" issues but more like "maybe this would be a good idea" issue.

1. The F-bomb

I noticed a lot of this.  Coincidentally, it's my favorite word, but some games use it too much.  Prototype used it really awkwardly and it made me really not enjoy playing that game. 

I understand the environment and the masculine battles and such it'll be used a lot but just don't go overboard with it.  We don't need an F-bomb in every sentence.  Not that there was one, I just don't want this to become a Boondock Saints the video game.

1. They're in a post-apocalyptic world and fighting to survive. Do you really expect them to be like "Gosh darn, I'll get you, you jerk!" ?

I didn't think the swearing was too much (in the situation they're in), and I know Naughty Dog will put a lot of attention to the dialogue so it turns out really good. I wouldn't be worried about that.

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 1 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Jun 6, 2012

I totally agree. People roaming the world not knowing if they're going to live or die the next day won't really care about their language. Ellie, as young as she is, goes around cursing without even thinking about it. In a post-apocolyptic world, I don't really think they'd care if they cursed that much.

Message 2 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2523 posts

Jun 6, 2012

My opinion on your ideas and thoughts.

1. The F-bomb

Totally agree on that, too much cussing detracts you from the game itself. Watching the game reviews on E3 and the constant bleeping really showed how annoying it can get.

2. Bound to reality
I didn't really understand where you were getting at there seemed kind of pointless, except for the military part that sounded a bit rediculous.

3. Combat
Hopfully theres going to be a good ammount of realistic gory hand to hand combat. judging from the game review i dont think they are going to add a lot of shoot outs with guns blazing everywhere (which is great). I'd like to see environmental take downs and object like glass bottles or pipes that can be used as weapons, i feel like that would add a lot to the realism and excitment.

4. Health Bar
i don't see regenerating health being realistic at all, during the game play i noticed when he got shot he held his stomach, if his health just regenerated and i saw him go back to tip top shape it would detract from the realism. so i think health bar with no regenerating health is the way to go.

5. Ellie

i like your ideas but if you were able to control her then what would your main guy do? he would become an AI and use your scarce ammunition because thats what an ai would do. i think they made it so she hides well enough from the enemy and defends her self just well enough so she cant be killed and she helps you during fights you cant necessarily fight alone.

6. Collecting Goods

That's a good point i never thought about that, like you said with dead space i would often not have enough money to buy things i needed and was never able to find them lying around which made it very annoying like you said. hopfully thats not an issue.

7. Gore
I'm really hoping they go all out, like you said during the end when that guy gets a shotgun to the dome what happens to his face? If i just see his face covered in red im going to be dissapointed, as strange and disturbing as this sounds id like to see the face get scattered like a face really would if it got a shotgun to the dome. If you're going to make a game rated M why not make it realistically violent? gets shot in the arm, arm gets ripped up, same with the leg stomach and all that. also where ever they get hit have them really show the pain where ever they got hit.

i think you've covered the basics of what i would have said. nice post

Message 3 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jun 6, 2012

fadi002 wrote:

Goldhawk1 wrote:

1. The F-bomb

1. They're in a post-apocalyptic world and fighting to survive. Do you really expect them to be like "Gosh darn, I'll get you, you jerk!" ?

I didn't think the swearing was too much (in the situation they're in), and I know Naughty Dog will put a lot of attention to the dialogue so it turns out really good. I wouldn't be worried about that.

My Twitter: TheLastOfUsJoelMy Youtube Channel: EveryClickCounts

I know what you mean and like I said I agree with their language usage, but I just don't want it to get used too much. 

In the demo it was fine, but I just don't want them to go down the road where they spam it all the time and/or use it in contexts that would be really awkward.

In any given situation I don't think anyone would be like "F@#$ Ellie F@#$ how the F@#$ are you F@#$ doin today F@#$ face?"

Not like they did, like I said these are just simple complaints nothing to really take into consideration that would possibly change the whole game but just something I hope they avoid/look into.

Message 4 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Jun 6, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:

2. Bound in reality

This leads me into another thing I heard during an interview.  "if someone steals they'll get killed by the military"  um...what?  No way this would happen, especially if this is a post apocalyptic setting.  The first thing on everyone's minds would be to get things back to the way they were...killing people for something like this during a time of catastrophic need would just be unreal.

Hey, you never know. Power does corrupt and when the government goes to hell, guess who has all the power to start martial law. The military.

Message 5 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jun 6, 2012

thedeviant105 wrote:

Goldhawk1 wrote:

2. Bound in reality

Hey, you never know. Power does corrupt and when the government goes to hell, guess who has all the power to start martial law. The military.

I suppose so, but one would think you'd want to save enough people to help kick start the population again.  Killing people for something as simple as stealing just seems too...ridiculous.  People are starving, clothing is (or should be) minimal, people will need water, shelter and protection. 

If the crime was huge then yeah, that may be understandable...who knows maybe that's why Joel and Ellie are traveling by themselves?  To escape the military? 

If they can make it feel like the military in 28 days later it might be somewhat believable..though those guys misbehaving really didn't sit well with me.  I just don't see letting the fate of mankind sit in the hands of immature kids like that. 

Message 6 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
150 posts

Jun 6, 2012

For me personally I just need to see more gameplay.

Cutscenes and cool scenery are all nice and good, but a video game is a video game, and its all about gameplay. 

There have been games in the past that have had amazing cut scenes and scenery but the gameplay is awful, which ruins the game.

All I've seen (gameplay wise) is the 5 minute clip from E3.  and to me it seemed a little too scripted or something.  Like it was a very specific and controlled sequence to show off.  It just seemed like the guy playing did specific things to get the outcomes we saw, i just don't get the idea like that is how the whole game will play

So I'm not gonna get too pumped up till I see a little more

Message 7 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

Jun 6, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:

If the crime was huge then yeah, that may be understandable...who knows maybe that's why Joel and Ellie are traveling by themselves?  To escape the military?

Joel is taking Ellie from one Quarantine Zone to another, and they have to go through the city shown in the demo, which has these people (enemies in the demo) that will kill anyone they see just so they can take their stuff. They call these people "tourists".

Source: Naughty Dog live interviews from PlayStation Blog and IGN. I'm not sure if they were recorded, though...

Message 8 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

Jun 6, 2012

Xx_ICEMAN_xX2 wrote:

All I've seen (gameplay wise) is the 5 minute clip from E3.  and to me it seemed a little too scripted or something.  Like it was a very specific and controlled sequence to show off.  It just seemed like the guy playing did specific things to get the outcomes we saw, i just don't get the idea like that is how the whole game will play

So I'm not gonna get too pumped up till I see a little more

It's not scripted. ND said you can get through the level without even killing anyone.

Message 9 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes