Highlighted
Feb 13 2013
By: TheLastOfEllie First Son 3 posts

Multiplayer- How will it work?

10 replies 318 views Edited Feb 13, 2013
Hi, guys. I'm going to be new here in the The Last Of Us community so give me a warm welcome, please! Smiley Happy Anyways, I'd like to talk to you guys about the multiplayer on TLOU. By looking at the Single Player campaign, we can already get a glimpse of what the camera/battle system may be like.

The camera- A third party camera: It looks similar to Uncharted, but a but zoomed up on the character.

Battle System: Looks very slow and a bit hard to control judging by the Demo at E3 2012. (I could be wrong though.)

As for the Multiplayer, I don't really have a good foreshadow of what else will go down..we have heard of this so-called "Melee Booster" which, unfortunately sounds a lot like Uncharted. If you own Uncharted 2 or 3, you can easily comprehend what it might be like. Or it could be like this:

Character Selection: Ellie

Arms: Melee Booster
Legs: Sprinting Booster
Torso: Fisherman's Vest (Increases Health Slightly)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character Selection: Joel

Arms: Garabage Booster (Whenever you are in danger, press L2 to activate Garbage Can as a shield.)
Legs: Knife Booster (When you are low on health, press the R2 button to pull a knife out of your leg pocket to damage your opponent.)
Torso: Rusty Bullet Armor (When shot at, bullets do not affect the user as normal use does. However, after a certain period of time, the armor breaks.)

Thats my suggestion on how the Multiplayer "Boosters" may work out. If not, maybe something else! In my opinion, they don't look very overpowered. They look quite acceptable! Another thing I am worried about on TLOU's multiplayer is the Game Modes. Will there be a survivor game mode where one team are the Humans and the other team are the Infected? Who knows? But anyways, that's my opinion on the Multiplayer for the TLOU. Feel free to add some other suggestions below! Smiley Happy

Peace.
Message 1 of 11 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Re: Multiplayer- How will it work?

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2013

Hey, welcome.

I like your suggestions for boosters, I hope they are simple like you describe. I've been crossing my fingers this whole time that the boosters and melee (well, just the entire multiplayer in general) is nothing like Uncharted. As for what I personally want, ugh, I've written so many paragraphs on this lol. Check out some of our many previous discussions.

Message 2 of 11 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3545 posts

Feb 13, 2013

Activate a garbage can lid?

You mean..it just..appears?

Do you feel me?

Message 3 of 11 (277 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 13, 2013
It is on his/her's back. lol
Message 4 of 11 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Feb 13, 2013

I don't know, boosters were usually passive effects (except for SA -.-). What you describe seem more like kickbacks, which im not a very big fan of. I hope TLoU is more similar to Uncharted 2, maybe with the addition of weapon loadouts.

The thing is, no one knows just how in depth the hand-to-hand combat will be, and how far ND will implement the need for rationing and scavenging for supplies. I don't really see bullet proof vest's working if bullets are a rarity in the first place, kind of overpowered if your average player is only carrying 5 bullets. Same thing with the Garbage can, it certainly won't be bullet broof, are you going to use it for melee, Captain America style?

It seems most people (myself included) are envisioning the game to be a stealthy Uncharted without the climbing, so it's really hard to guess how the game will work since we have nothing to bounce off. These types of threads are gonna be great when we finally get a reveal trailer, but until then it's all speculation and wishfull thinking. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 11 (262 Views)
Sackboy
520 posts

Feb 13, 2013

TLoU Singleplayer Melee

Now, about TLoU, I think they can go melee heavy on the MP. And I think that because of how the SP melee seems to work.

I think I've deducted some melee rules, from obsessing over the trailers.

The melee looks extremely organic and there doesn1t seem to be any mashing, quick time event or otherwise ridiculous mini-game involved. Yay!

It seems to be all about the approach and the weapon.

Good Approach

You can have a good approach by engaging in melee against a staggered (by thrown object, for instance) or unaware enemy (attacking from a corner). In a good approach, Joel doesn't take damage and finishes his enemy. The weapon he uses only speeds up how quickly he does the job, which is important, since these strugles are noisy and are likely to bring other enemies who may attack you just as you're finishing your first victim.

Bad Approach

If your enemy sneaks up on you or catches you right after you attacked his pal, the approach is in his favor. In this bad approach (for you), Joel loses health and, if he survives, he eventually stops loosing health and finishes his opponent. Apparently, Ellie can help you (just before dat shotgun headshot in that trailer) so that you loose less health before starting to counter your enemy. On the other hand, perhaps the enviroment will play a role on making you loose more health (Joel looses a big chunk even against an unarmed enemy, when he gets his head smashed on that dresser). I don't know if Joel can use his melee weapon to counter the enemies. I think not. From what I saw, he always uses his bare hands, which means the counters are likely to be slow (which is bad, for you... so, do care about your approach).

Excellent Approach

If you approach an unaware enemy from behind, you can grab him and finish him silently (at least the humans). We've seen on that hands on that Clickers can't be choked. To stealth kill them you need to shiv them. And against other enemies, the shiv would still help you to speed up the kill, since the choke takes quite a while.

Average Approach

What I still really don't know is about a head-on approach. What happens if Joel and his enemy are aware of eachother and they initiate the melee, simultaneously? I don't think we've seen any such example, yet. My guess is that Joel attacks first; then, if enemy survive, enemy counters with his weapon; and if Joel Survives, Joel finishes the enemy. If Joel's weapon can one-hit-kill a certain enemy, a head-on approach would still leave him unscathed (against a single enemy, at least).

Clicker

Finally, it seems the Clicker can't be meleed (it just kills you), except for the Shiv (which requires the best approach). I still don't know if people hamve experimented enough on the hands-on. I'm curious about whether we can at least stun them for a while, with a good a approach (like attacking with an axe, from a corner)... giving us some time to run past them.

TLoU Multiplayer Melee

Now... if I got these rules just about right, we could have a very rich melee in MP. I'd love to play as a Clicker, if it gave me awesome melee advantages!

For equal characters, the main thing would be ditching the counters that Joel performs when his enemy gets the initiative. In MP, if someone approaches you well (after staggering you or from a corner), this person kills you without taking damage. Period. I mean... unless you have a friend nearby to save you, kinda like Ellie. The quality of the attacker's melee weapon determines how quickly he kills you. If it's quick, you will hardly be saved by your friends... your friends may actually not even be able to get a cheap shot at your killer.

As for head-on approaches, it would be tough. I think the guy with the best weapon should attack first. If the other survives, other counters with his weapon. Then, repeat the process until someone dies or someone interferes.

That melee boost in the pre-order bonus could be simply an upgrade to the damage caused by any melee, which might make a difference, requiring one last hit to kill in some good approaches, or actually turning the tides on a head-on conflict.

What do you guys think about these speculations?

Message 6 of 11 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
665 posts

Feb 13, 2013

The problem with putting such a rich melee system into the game is lag queue. It would get really unfair if you were to get the slightest lag bug during a melee encounter in multiplayer, causing the timing for certain attacks/counters to be impossible. In the single player we know that the melee is in real-time, theres no quicktime or beastmode. I guess it could be compared to Batman Arkham city's mechanics. Block, uppercut, step etc. Having this kind of thing in multiplayer wouldn't work all too well. If the host has a rubbish connection then melee is a death sentence.

I hope there is just weapon superiority in head-to-head combat, if you were to sneak up on them it would be your upper hand.

Submissive holds would make for a really good system if you ask me. For example I could sneak up on a guy and maybe I don't have a weapon so I'd have to grab him and put him in a choke hold. I have to hold his throat for maybe 10 seconds unnoticed to successfully kill him. The other guy could mash a button to extend his overall time, or he could call out to team mates to prise me off. If my team mate shows up he could give the guy a thump around and both shut him up and kill him faster, therefore team work pays off. Other mechanics could be laying traps/snares, tossing molotovs, using bows/crossbows and so-fourth.

Message 7 of 11 (223 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Feb 13, 2013

Lt_K4RL0S wroteSmiley Frustratedubmissive holds would make for a really good system if you ask me. For example I could sneak up on a guy and maybe I don't have a weapon so I'd have to grab him and put him in a choke hold. I have to hold his throat for maybe 10 seconds unnoticed to successfully kill him. The other guy could mash a button to extend his overall time, or he could call out to team mates to prise me off. If my team mate shows up he could give the guy a thump around and both shut him up and kill him faster, therefore team work pays off. Other mechanics could be laying traps/snares, tossing molotovs, using bows/crossbows and so-fourth.

Love these ideas

Message 8 of 11 (205 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Feb 13, 2013

TheLastOfEllie wrote:
Hi, guys. I'm going to be new here in the The Last Of Us community so give me a warm welcome, please! Smiley Happy Anyways, I'd like to talk to you guys about the multiplayer on TLOU. By looking at the Single Player campaign, we can already get a glimpse of what the camera/battle system may be like.

The camera- A third party camera: It looks similar to Uncharted, but a but zoomed up on the character.

Battle System: Looks very slow and a bit hard to control judging by the Demo at E3 2012. (I could be wrong though.)

As for the Multiplayer, I don't really have a good foreshadow of what else will go down..we have heard of this so-called "Melee Booster" which, unfortunately sounds a lot like Uncharted. If you own Uncharted 2 or 3, you can easily comprehend what it might be like. Or it could be like this:

Character Selection: Ellie

Arms: Melee Booster
Legs: Sprinting Booster
Torso: Fisherman's Vest (Increases Health Slightly)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character Selection: Joel

Arms: Garabage Booster (Whenever you are in danger, press L2 to activate Garbage Can as a shield.)
Legs: Knife Booster (When you are low on health, press the R2 button to pull a knife out of your leg pocket to damage your opponent.)
Torso: Rusty Bullet Armor (When shot at, bullets do not affect the user as normal use does. However, after a certain period of time, the armor breaks.)

Thats my suggestion on how the Multiplayer "Boosters" may work out. If not, maybe something else! In my opinion, they don't look very overpowered. They look quite acceptable! Another thing I am worried about on TLOU's multiplayer is the Game Modes. Will there be a survivor game mode where one team are the Humans and the other team are the Infected? Who knows? But anyways, that's my opinion on the Multiplayer for the TLOU. Feel free to add some other suggestions below! Smiley Happy

Peace.

I think character selections shoudn't be Joel and Ellie or any main character at all. Should be just customizable survivors. And don't like the idea of having things coming out of nowhere.

Message 9 of 11 (196 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Feb 13, 2013

Lt_K4RL0S wrote:

The problem with putting such a rich melee system into the game is lag queue. It would get really unfair if you were to get the slightest lag bug during a melee encounter in multiplayer, causing the timing for certain attacks/counters to be impossible. In the single player we know that the melee is in real-time, theres no quicktime or beastmode. I guess it could be compared to Batman Arkham city's mechanics. Block, uppercut, step etc. Having this kind of thing in multiplayer wouldn't work all too well. If the host has a rubbish connection then melee is a death sentence.

I hope there is just weapon superiority in head-to-head combat, if you were to sneak up on them it would be your upper hand.

Submissive holds would make for a really good system if you ask me. For example I could sneak up on a guy and maybe I don't have a weapon so I'd have to grab him and put him in a choke hold. I have to hold his throat for maybe 10 seconds unnoticed to successfully kill him. The other guy could mash a button to extend his overall time, or he could call out to team mates to prise me off. If my team mate shows up he could give the guy a thump around and both shut him up and kill him faster, therefore team work pays off. Other mechanics could be laying traps/snares, tossing molotovs, using bows/crossbows and so-fourth.

Well then they need to polish the whole game as possible, delay the game if needed.

Message 10 of 11 (195 Views)
0 Likes