Mar 24 2013
By: AKyemeni PlayStation MVP 7278 posts
Accepted Solution

Let's talk Listen Mode

205 replies 3181 views Edited Mar 24, 2013

I was on NeoGaf and the thing that EVERYONE was talking about is Listen Mode. They are arguing that this is an immersion breaker, stabs realism in the face, etc. If you watched the PAX videos, you see that Listen mode is activated with R2, which lets you see enemies's outlines and their footsteps when they make sounds. The counter argument for having this feature is because of the deadly one-hit-kill Clickers, and presumably deadly enemies, both survivors and runners. Should this feature be gone, changed, or stay the same?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 206 (3,181 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Re: Let's talk Listen Mode

Mar 24, 2013
Changed only to make him put his head against the wall or ground or something to hear the noises,but I don't really mind,you can't make any game completely 100% realism,they might as well complain that Joel couldn't have healed himself that easily
Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 206 (3,177 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Mar 24, 2013

I haven't played the game but I don't like to have that kind of advantage over the AI.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 206 (3,175 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Mar 24, 2013
I don't mind it. Far Cry 3 has a sort of similar system where you 'tag' enemies, and this allows you to track them, even through walls. It doesn't break the game, it just makes it easier to plan your attacks.
 photo 492afe7a-5d47-473d-9476-3a8036a31d5b_zps4955703f.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 206 (3,169 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Mar 24, 2013

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

I haven't played the game but I don't like to have that kind of advantage over the AI.

If you think about it though,ammo if I'm correct is pretty scarced,one shot of a gun will sent any enemy coming after you and when you run out of ammo they also use that as an advantage.

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 206 (3,165 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Tomb Raider has something similar to this and is very helpful in finding enemies. I don't see this listen mode as any problem. By pressing a button (I forgot what trigger) Lara has the ability to see enemies, animals, etc. Granted the listen mode in TLOU is only limited to enemies but it s very helpful.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 206 (3,164 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2343 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

CyborgHippo wrote:
Changed only to make him put his head against the wall or ground or something to hear the noises

^This.

I don't think it's an immersion breaker, I was just expecting Joel to take the time to put his head against a wall or the floor, maybe hold his breath during it so you can't stay in the listen mode, and overall have it be a long process that makes you vulnerable. But from the PAX footage it looks just like Bat-vision, easily turned on and off and you're not really limited except for crouching slower while you're in it. I wasn't impressed with the little bit I saw honestly. If it was my decision I'd say tweak it so that it's effective but the process makes you extremely vulnerable and is more time consuming.

Just my opinion. If I don't like it, no big deal, I just won't use it.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 206 (3,157 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Mar 24, 2013

idk wat to think of this in a way it does seem like something that some people would use frequently in the game to get by easily but on the other hand it seems to be a good thing like if ur in a jam some where in the game like if ur getting ur **bleep** kicked 9 ways to sunday. sure that its in there ill use it if im ever stuck but thats it its always good to be surprised in games like this its what makes them good a little scary to lol. have a good weekend everyone

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 206 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1994 posts

Mar 24, 2013

No, not really. Listen mode is only useful in planning your approach towards enemies. Once you start fighting Listen mode can become a liability. If I remember correctly from one of the videos, Listen Mode slows down your movement speed because as Arne put it, "Joel is so focused on his sense of hearing," so using Listen mode in combat is risky. In addition, Listen mode is not like detective mode in the Batman games, Joel can only see outline of enemies and objects which can be very vague versus the amount of detail and information detective mode provides. Lastly, realism is dumb.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 206 (3,125 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

thedeviant105 wrote:

No, not really. Listen mode is only useful in planning your approach towards enemies. Once you start fighting Listen mode can become a liability. If I remember correctly from one of the videos, Listen Mode slows down your movement speed because as Arne put it, "Joel is so focused on his sense of hearing," so using Listen mode in combat is risky. In addition, Listen mode is not like detective mode in the Batman games, Joel can only see outline of enemies and objects which can be very vague versus the amount of detail and information detective mode provides. Lastly, realism is dumb.

Yeah if you want a game with realism go outside... Seriously,even the apocalyptic setting is anything near "realistic" I don't see why people are complaining...... Might as well not play games at all than.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 206 (3,123 Views)
0 Likes