Highlighted
Oct 25 2012
By: calcunnon Treasure Hunter 5382 posts

Learn from U3's Classic Mode - less is more.

[ Edited ]
11 replies 529 views Edited Oct 25, 2012

The recently implemented Classic Mode in U3's competitive multiplayer really proves that less is more.

The game is infinitely more balanced when all sorts of unnecessary features are removed, and therefore much more fun to play.

We don't need loadouts, crazy items (like kickbacks) or a vast range of weaponry to enjoy a game. Just fantastic core gameplay with decent balance is all it takes.

If you want to make a large range of content for us to enjoy, I think most people would agree that a good variety of maps and character customisation would be more appealing.

In closing - ND, keep it simple, keep it fun Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12 (529 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Re: Learn from U3's Classic Mode - less is more.

Oct 27, 2012
I'm loving classic too. I played for a few hours last night. Really fun. Brought me back to the good ole UC2 days.

Less isn't always more, though. Sometimes less is just less. They're going to need the multiplayer to be fairly deep to keep people playing. You have to have some kind of goals for people to reach. That's what keeps people coming back. You have to have that carrot hanging on a stick. Not sure what that could be for TLOU since nobody has a clue what the mp will be like yet. I sure can't wait to find out Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 12 (462 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5382 posts

Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, maybe I didn't go in to enough detail.

There does need to be plenty of unlockables, perhaps in the form of character models, clothing or ranks. But things that actually affect the gameplay need to be kept to a smaller quantity. Just a few different character classes to mix up the play styles, a fairly decent range of weaponry to keep it interesting, a load of maps to keep it fresh.

But as soon as extra game-affecting benefits get added like kickbacks, power plays and things like that, there's too much variation, too much chaos, too much unrealism.

Unlockables: good
An over-abundance of game affecting features: bad

Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 12 (444 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Oct 31, 2012
Well, that I totally agree withSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 12 (399 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
778 posts

Nov 27, 2012
I hope the multiplayer is balanced (competitive) in the sense of ranks and unlockables. For example I really can't stand being thrusted into a multiplayer battle at a low level competing with guys that have the higher grade of perks and 8 RPG rounds in their pocket. In a game like the Last of Us, the skill of a player should be determined by (pretty self-explanatory) their actual skill, and appearance. Doing certain rough challenges can reward you with an epic shattered gas mask or bandolier, that kind of thing. 100% with you on this one. That less is more, and we don't need excessive perks and killstreaks. But like Ultima12 mentioned, I still want to strive for a goal. I have only played Uncharted 3's co-op for so long because i was drawn to unlocking Drake's Aviators. That, is what I love in multiplayer games
Message 5 of 12 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Agreed. Keep Uncharted 3 for the "power up" crowd, keep supporting it with labs and all that. Please give the Competetive crowd a competitve shooter.

Message 6 of 12 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5382 posts

Nov 28, 2012
I actually hope it's more of a competitive melee, with a few guns to add to the mix. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 12 (295 Views)
Naughty Paw
2018 posts

Dec 8, 2012

calcunnon wrote:

The recently implemented Classic Mode in U3's competitive multiplayer really proves that less is more.

The game is infinitely more balanced when all sorts of unnecessary features are removed, and therefore much more fun to play.

We don't need loadouts, crazy items (like kickbacks) or a vast range of weaponry to enjoy a game. Just fantastic core gameplay with decent balance is all it takes.

If you want to make a large range of content for us to enjoy, I think most people would agree that a good variety of maps and character customisation would be more appealing.

In closing - ND, keep it simple, keep it fun Smiley Happy

I wondered what happened to you. Just...disappeared one day lol. 

Twitter: @TryceUp

USN 04-08
Message 8 of 12 (194 Views)
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Dec 8, 2012

I just hope its not like Uncharted MP just better character customization, better melee and maybe some loadout thing but no kickbacks or power plays.

Message 9 of 12 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5382 posts

Dec 8, 2012
Hey sQuiid! If you're getting TLoU we should team up! Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 12 (173 Views)
0 Likes