Sep 05 2013
By: timo352 First Son 17 posts

Last of Us Novel

9 replies 243 views Edited Sep 5, 2013

I've been trying to start writing over the past several months.

Writing short stories hasnt been enough, and my time is limited, so I thought of something different:

Do you think it would be worth it for me to try to turn the entire game into a novel. I have tons of ideas on how to add to the story and make it a pretty good book I think. Do you think it'll be worth it?

Message 1 of 10 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Re: Last of Us Novel

Sep 5, 2013

timo352 wrote:

I've been trying to start writing over the past several months.

Writing short stories hasnt been enough, and my time is limited, so I thought of something different:

Do you think it would be worth it for me to try to turn the entire game into a novel. I have tons of ideas on how to add to the story and make it a pretty good book I think. Do you think it'll be worth it?

Well, I would love to read the entire novel exactly to the depth of detail in the last of us.
That means I can bring the **bleep** beautiful story with me anywhere instead of leaving it home... where it's not safe... gotta set up traps. I'm sorry! Anyway, if the words can match the beautiful story then why the heck not!

Though, don't go on my confident approval. I think you may have to contact Naughty Dogs or otherwise it's copyrighted I guess.

The call for a companion in a post-apocalypse is needed in order to survive and die together with.
Message 2 of 10 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Sep 5, 2013

It all depends.

If you are looking to use this novel as a merchandising product, and are hoping to make a profit, then you have a long, impossible road ahead of you.  You'd have to contact ND, Sony, and everybody else involved, spend months just getting to the right person, for them to laugh over the phone and hang up on you.  I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, but to the credit that no one at Sony is going to care about a fan wanting to write an official story.  They just won't.  If they even think there is a market for such a thing, they'll hire a writer who is already well enough established.

However, as a semi-professional writer myself (very, very semi), and as many who have careers can tell you, let me say that sometimes you have to work for free.  At least, in terms of monetary compensation.  Getting your name out there, and samples of your work, in any field, can open doors and eyes.  There's no guarantees in life, and it's always a risk vs. reward situation.  You could write up a thousand page novel and no one could ever care.  It's a chance you have to take, and all dependant on your devotion and what you are willing to risk (time lost, complaints, loss of other activities).

Of course, there's also the fan component.  If this is something you'd want to do for yourself, even if no one ever cared, then by all means have it.  I have a Youtube channel with my first playthrough of TLoU fully uploaded, and it's hardly been watched by anyone.  I don't mind at all however, because I love the game enough to go through the work.  It was worth it even though only a small handful will ever watch the footage.  It could be the same for your novel, but that may be just fine.

My only solid suggestion is that, if you don't bother to contact Sony about making it official, then don't use that word.  If you use the word official, you can expect to have the content removed, and likely be sued as well.  Without a contract with Sony, use "fan-fiction" or some relatable term, to protect yourself lol.

Message 3 of 10 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2013

To be honest, I wrote a novel, about The last of Us, a months ago. On writing a novel it took 29 days. (I wrote, from dawn to sunset) I wrote it for my family and friends. But now I do not know what to do with it. 

Message 4 of 10 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Zev_zevr wrote:

To be honest, I wrote a novel, about The last of Us, a couple of months ago. I wrote it for my family and friends. But now I do not know what to do with it. 

Sell it to Neil, Neil gets a fantastic idea for a sequel because of it and you get money, everyone wins!

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 5 of 10 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2013

WinterEdit wrote:

Zev_zevr wrote:

To be honest, I wrote a novel, about The last of Us, a couple of months ago. I wrote it for my family and friends. But now I do not know what to do with it. 

Sell it to Neil, Neil gets a fantastic idea for a sequel because of it and you get money, everyone wins!

No you don't understand, I wrote a novel based on the game, I did not write the continuation of the history of The Last of Us. But I made several changes in the course of the story: for example I added a flashback about Ellie's past, based on the comic strip. The main problem - language, I wrote the novel in Russian language. 

Message 6 of 10 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Zev_zevr wrote:

WinterEdit wrote:

Zev_zevr wrote:

No you don't understand, I wrote a novel based on the game, I did not write the continuation of the history of The Last of Us. But I made several changes in the course of the story: for example I added a flashback about Ellie's past, based on the comic strip. The main problem - language, I wrote the novel in Russian language. 

No you don't understand. I see you added things to the novel, which can give Neil a great idea, and about the Russian language: It's alright! That is why Google Translate exists.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 7 of 10 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Sep 5, 2013

WinterEdit wrote:

Zev_zevr wrote:

WinterEdit wrote:

Zev_zevr wrote:

No you don't understand. I see you added things to the novel, which can give Neil a great idea, and about the Russian language: It's alright! That is why Google Translate exists.

How can I get in audience with Neil or smb else? Is it even possible? P.S. Google Translate - not so brilliant as you  think.

Message 8 of 10 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Zev_zevr wrote:

WinterEdit wrote:

Zev_zevr wrote:

WinterEdit wrote:

Zev_zevr wrote:

How can I get in audience with Neil or smb else? Is it even possible? P.S. Google Translate - not so brilliant as you  think.

If you didn't notice, it was meant to be a joke in the first place. I probably have a reputation here to have a stick up my **bleep** but I am capable of making bad jokes too. And I don't believe contacting Neil is possible (at least easily), unless you wait for another "Ask Me Anything" (Doubtful, I know) or such.

... I have no life.
Message 9 of 10 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Sep 5, 2013
I have not bought into it. Honestly, I don't care.
Message 10 of 10 (179 Views)
0 Likes