Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 08 2013
By: HarrisGalloway First Son 15 posts
Accepted Solution

Last of Us America-Australia Region Locked Multiplayer?

7 replies 1487 views Edited Jun 8, 2013

Hey everyone,

I live in Australia and I am wanting to preorder an American edition of the Last of Us because it is slightly cheaper and doesn't have the R18+ rating that my parents hate. I was wondering whether the online multiplayer will be region locked for the game. I know that the game itself won't be region locked, as no PS3 games are (to the best of my knowledge), but I am concerned that I will be placed in American lobbies and be unable to play with other Australian players. I also know the situation with DLC and how if I ever want to buy DLC for the American version I will have to create an American account and purchase it on the American Playstation Store. Any information of the possible region locking of online multiplayer on The Last of Us is welcome.

Thanks andhaveagreatday. :smileyvery-happy:

"No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for" - Joel, The Last of Us
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (1,487 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
344 posts

Re: Last of Us America-Australia Region Locked Multiplayer?

Jun 8, 2013

no games lock your to a region by the content on your disc , its done by your connection so no you won't be locked but you would need a american PSN too purchase dlc.

sub sig

sig url -

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (1,481 Views)
Splicer
28 posts

Jun 8, 2013

The OP and following response are only answering part of the question.

True, the PS3 does not region lock games. But what the OP asked later, and what he was probably misinterpretingi to mean "region lock", is the question of whether buying a game from another region will affect his connection. With peer2peer games, there is always this chance.

Depending on how its coded, the game may connect each individual player to their physical location, ie IP.

There is also the possibility that the game will use the 2nd most common factor in determining where they connect to; their PSN account. There ARE p2p games out there that connect players based on their PSN ACCOUNT REGION, not their physical location. I know this because I have experienced it first hand; I am an American living in Japan and have played nearly all games on my US account; some having my "local" connection as Japan, but a few with them being USA. 

The best answer to this question is to ask veterans of Uncharted since the MP-online connections will most likely be extremely similar. Most games will still connect you based on your IP, but there is still a chance your PSN region account will be the factor. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/KuzuRanger
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (1,467 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Jun 9, 2013

Thanks guys,

But both my IP and PSN account are Australian. So won't that mean that no matter what I will be placed in Australian lobbies?

"No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for" - Joel, The Last of Us
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (1,387 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
28 posts

Jun 9, 2013

Yes, most likely you should be fine.

It's always complicated with these things. I don't see a reason why you'd need to use a US account to play the same region as the disc you buy, but you never know. 

For a game like Crysis 2, I bought the US disc and used US account. I was connecting to the US even though as I said I live in Japan. I tried using a JPN account and it didnt change things. I had to swap my disc for a JPN disc, and ended up having to use a JPN account too to finally get "local" games connecting me to my physical location. This is just a rare example, but does show that these type of absurd difficulties do exist. 

Overall its been my experience that MOST games allow me to use a non-local disc and non-local account, so you using a non-local disc with local account should be fine. Again, *probably*. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (1,349 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Jun 9, 2013
I'll take my chances I think, besides, I don't think I'll be playing much of the multiplayer anyway because the single player will be so **bleep** awesome.
BTW I have subbed to your YouTube channel and I really enjoy your videos. Thanks for all your help.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (1,344 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
28 posts

Jun 9, 2013

I think you should be good. I actually have a different dilemma. I try to buy all my games as US imports because the Japanese have a funny way of dubbing over the original English and sometimes not allowing English language to be selected at all... so I make sure to buy import versions to ensure I actually have my native language on the disc. 

Thx for the support. I hope The Last Of Us MP keeps its end of the bargain and isnt horribly influenced by the lack of dedicated servers. I am a multiplayer lover first and foremost, so my videos will always be focused on that aspect primarily. But I am trying to branch into some SP games too.

If you plan on playing late at night from Australia why don't you add me up since thats when I play. Our timezones are an hour or so off so its very close. PSN: KuzuRanger

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (1,322 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jun 9, 2013
Thanks again and will do.
HarrisGalloway
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (1,171 Views)
0 Likes