Oct 02 2012
By: AKyemeni Naughty Paw 11606 posts

Instead of a health bar, how about... [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

[ Edited ]
11 replies 684 views Edited Oct 2, 2012

the character reacting with his movements to his wounds? Instead of that life bar, I think Joel should start to stumble and limp when he walks or runs. Blood would show up on his person and he would be clinging to his wounds until he can get them cleaned up and fixed. The way that The Getaway did it was absolutely perfect. Start at 2:55

The more he gets shot, the more he limps and struggles to keep his gun up. He also is noticeably slower and unable to run.  The realism in this game was what made the game so fun at the time and I feel if the same attention was to be made Joel in The Last of Us, it would really bring out the realism this game is also trying to achieve, rather than having a simple health bar.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 1 of 12 (684 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1783 posts

Re: Instead of a health bar, how about... [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

Oct 2, 2012

You've made a very good point, however a health bar is also necessary so that we know how much life we got left, and not jump in the action with like 1% of life left..........but I do like your idea

Message 2 of 12 (669 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11606 posts

Oct 2, 2012
That's what I mean. The more hurt he gets, the more he's gonna stumble and limp, giving us cleues that he is dead. Maybe have him exclaim things when things get too bad.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 3 of 12 (655 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5547 posts

Oct 2, 2012
I, too, have provided this suggestion before. I think the problem might be that TLoU's gameplay might require the player to have an accurate reading of their health level in order for it to play fairly/well/fun, and perhaps these visual clues aren't accurate enough.

I'd hope that ND have a least tested a non-HUD version of the game. Maybe they have and it just didn't work out.
Message 4 of 12 (644 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Oct 2, 2012

GREAAAAAT IDEA!!

If The Last of Us gets ths gameplay system it would be by far the most impresive game yet I think, at least in health systems.

Obvioulsy this has to be done by ND style.I definetely support this idea.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 5 of 12 (612 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
349 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Love the idea... but I can't really say I support it, because the last of us seems more of a tactical game, not saying this isn't tactical, but you need a way to be able to keep track of your health easier so you don't get into trouble with such low life without having a accurate way of knowing

Message 6 of 12 (568 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11606 posts

Oct 4, 2012

Also, it doesn't have to be limited to just vidual representation. You can also have him yell and say things like,"I'm really hurt" or "I need a first aid kit". That can also work

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 7 of 12 (561 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
349 posts

Oct 5, 2012

AKyemeni wrote:

Also, it doesn't have to be limited to just vidual representation. You can also have him yell and say things like,"I'm really hurt" or "I need a first aid kit". That can also work

That would be awesome

Message 8 of 12 (530 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1136 posts

Oct 6, 2012

I think I should hang out here instead of the Uncharted 3 forums. xD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like waffles
Message 9 of 12 (489 Views)
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Oct 8, 2012

The video really helped paint a picture on how you want things to be and I do believe even with a health bar these animations would make the survival feel great and I can see the option of turning the hub on or off.  Great ideo bro.

Message 10 of 12 (460 Views)
0 Likes