Jun 16 2012
By: Wanderearth Lombax Warrior 85 posts

I Hope...

16 replies 285 views Edited Jun 16, 2012

I'm really hoping the cities we'll be visiting in TLoU will be large and fully explorable without the usual barricades of debris every few feet that we can't cross, forcing us along one route.  Tired of that.

Even more, I hope there will be skyscrapers that we can climb, walking through the various overgrown rooms to look out through the broken windows to see the city below, birds flying nearby, watch the effect of the sun setting on the city.  Both The Omega Man and I Am Legend and actually a lot of other movies (Logan's Run, 28 Days Later, The Lost Future, Night Of The Comet, etc) have given us a view of what the city would be like under those circumstances.  I really do hope TLoU will too.

I hope we can walk down wide city streets, walk along now quiet freeways, through empty business districts and warehouses, stores and malls, all the places we're all familiar with as noisy blustering centers of humanity to give as us sharp contrast between what was and the natural world the earth is becoming.  That would be amazing!

I also hope we can avoid all these invisible assists, meaning that if we walk too close to an edge, cliff or whatever, we would fall as we would in real life.  That would be one more element to give the game a sense of realism.

I do hope Joel and Ellie make it as far as Los Angeles, my own particular home city.  LA has the perfect balance of business and residential, skyscrapers and suburbs, city attractions (imagine walking through a place like a deserted disneyland as an example or through Universal Studios or past the Hollywood Bowl).  LA has so many places we're all familiar with through the movies, it would be amazing to see these places sliding back into the earth.

Cheers.

Message 1 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Re: I Hope...

Jun 16, 2012

Add wild animals roaming the streets and I agree with everything you said!

Message 2 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1226 posts

Jun 16, 2012

Seeing as the game will be linear and not open world, they cant let the players go where ever they want. So in that regard, prepare to be disapointed.

Message 3 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10163 posts

Jun 16, 2012

Well, the game seems pretty linear, so I doubt this will have an "open world" feel to it.  I hope it's about as long as Uncharted 2...that game seems to go on forever...U3 was pretty short.  The longer the better, I want to play through this world and enjoy everything that it has to offer.

But some places might not even be possible to go to.  Infected might live there...and there is the whole "disease" thing making the infected what they are.  Some areas might not be possible to go to because of the whole "infection" thing. 

As for the cliff thing, in naughtydog games they always justify this...there usually isn't some weird barrier that doesn't let you go to the cliff.  If you walk up to a ledge, your character looks down, and stumbles a bit as if he had gotten caught off guard, and if you continue to walk, they'll flip around and catch the ledge but you can usually just fall or jump right off.  Don't know why you'd want to. 

Message 4 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Jun 16, 2012

The game is going to be linear, with the ability to roam a few other small places like gas stations here and there.  Don't expect a full fledged open world game.

Message 5 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Jun 16, 2012

In this game, the whole crafting system will play heavily. You won't just run and gun like in uncharted, where you killed everybody bare handed without being killed. You'll have to sneak and look for items, more than in uncharted, where ther were only few treasures. TLoU is gonna be longer than any Uncharted, I guess.

Message 6 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Jun 19, 2012

I'm sure there'll be some degree of freedom

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 7 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jun 19, 2012

Sorry, but i am afraid it will only be as long as Uncharted 3? I don't remember where i read that, it was on this forum a few days ago.. But..

Be kind to each other.
Message 8 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10163 posts

Jun 19, 2012

They didn't say uncharted 3 exactly, but yes, roughly around the length of the uncharted games.  That isn't too bad...3 did feel short as hell, but 1 and 2 had a decent length. 

Message 9 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1582 posts

Jun 20, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:

They didn't say uncharted 3 exactly, but yes, roughly around the length of the uncharted games.  That isn't too bad...3 did feel short as hell, but 1 and 2 had a decent length. 

lol I agree...but oddly enough uc3 is the longest

[Yes this siggy is very creative]
Message 10 of 17 (285 Views)
0 Likes