Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 27 2013
By: AKyemeni Naughty Host 9024 posts

How steel fisting can work

6 replies 183 views Edited Jan 27, 2013

I don't mean to the degree UC3 has it, obviously, but in a rather strategic manner. Here's a scenario: You have one bullet left and there's a guy coming after you. You see him and you shoot him in the leg. When that person is stumbling or wringing on the ground, you run up to him and deliver a menacing final boot to the face, knocking him unconcious/killing him. I can definately see this happening in Single Player, but what about Multiplayer? Should there be as many stumble animations and let there be a more fluid steel fisting opportunity? Or should it be like UC3 where no shots cause any discernable physical damage, but rather just a invisible decrease in health, where you have to guess blindly at how much life they have left? What is the more reasonable expectation that ND will do?

AKsWiseWords.png

Message 1 of 7 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Re: How steel fisting can work

Jan 27, 2013
Well, I think your sig answers how it will work in SP. Like you said, Joel fires one shot at the Molotov guy and he stumbles. He finishes him off with a bullet, but presumably he can also stomp on him or beat him down with a melee attack. The problem with multiplayer is that you to to take into account the effects of lag, so implementing such a feature would be difficult.
 photo 492afe7a-5d47-473d-9476-3a8036a31d5b_zps4955703f.jpg
Message 2 of 7 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Jan 27, 2013
Hmm although lag can effect everything in slight ways, I don't see how this method of steel fisting would suffer any more from lag than your average melee attack would.
Message 3 of 7 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
9024 posts

Jan 27, 2013

calcunnon wrote:
Hmm although lag can effect everything in slight ways, I don't see how this method of steel fisting would suffer any more from lag than your average melee attack would.

Well I'm just saying if you only have one bullet left or something. But yeah, lag determines everything I guess.

AKsWiseWords.png

Message 4 of 7 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jan 27, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

calcunnon wrote:

Well I'm just saying if you only have one bullet left or something. But yeah, lag determines everything I guess.

Well, I envisage a situation in which a player gets shot, but it doesn't register immediately, so they only stumble after a few intervening seconds. But hey, it's just a possible problem, I'm sure there could be a way around this problem

photo 492afe7a-5d47-473d-9476-3a8036a31d5b_zps4955703f.jpg
Message 5 of 7 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jan 27, 2013

This feature could eventually get annoying, considering that's what most players tactics would be when they got a gun, shoot then melee kill. Of course I think your character should have a reaction to being shot, because they were shot, but that's not helpful. Something useful, would be if at point blank range you could grab their gun from their hands turning the tables. This would make it so if you have a gun, you wouldn't get too close to anyone, fearing of losing the gun you worked so hard to get. So from a distance you shoot the guy, running up to him would still give him the chance to counter attack so you'd most likely stay at a distance to finish them off with the gun or a throwable weapon.

Multiplayer would be fair to this aspect. No kills when you're killed in two hits unfairly, you still get the chance to survive. Most of the time it's your fault that you died instead of over-powered people. The gun should give you an advantage but not a super-advantage. The only things that should be insta kill are shots to the heart/head, shotgun in point-blank range, or explosives/fire. You wouldn't instantly die from fire, making it so you could light other people on fire, making it that much more intense for online sessions.

Last Of Us GOTY
Message 6 of 7 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Jan 27, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

calcunnon wrote:

Ah, my post was in response to NazzyQ's post :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 7 (150 Views)
0 Likes