I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Re: How Much Digital Space Do You Think LoU Will Take?

Feb 10, 2013
The disc has to carry all that data, the hardware can't magically handle all those things.
Message 21 of 29 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11911 posts

Feb 11, 2013
yes it does carry the data, but it has to be read as well. Those animations and stuff are just coded differently and they might take more space, but not as big as UC2 to UC3 size of 24 gb. That's why I'm saying that 3D is a major culprit in the amount of space it takes.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 22 of 29 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 11, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
^ It was 46 gb because they had to render everything twice for 3D, a feature not gonna be in TLOU. the single player length will be similar to TLOU, so expect something less in memory.

^ Finally someone with common sense on this forum!

TLOU will NOT support 3D -> no 3D cutscenes -> less space.

/thread

NazzyQ wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:
^ He's talking about whether it will be dual layered or not. I'm saying that based on them saying that the SP will be close to UC2's length, it can be 30-40 gb, depending on amount of content on disc. It sounds unreasonable that TLOU will have the same space as UC3, unless it's chockful of content.

Hmm but I don't think it was the 3D that took up a huge chunk of space on the U3 disc. After all Gears of War 3 has 3D, even though it's on an 8gb DVD disc.

ND games use PRERECORDED (aka video) cutscenes. Of course it takes a lot of space!

XBOX360 games don't have that luxury.

plaZeHD7 wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:
^ It was 46 gb because they had to render everything twice for 3D, a feature not gonna be in TLOU. the single player length will be similar to TLOU, so expect something less in memory.

Ok, replace 3D with life-like animations, dynamic AI, imperfect shadow maps[BTW The Last Of Us is the only game that uses this tech], water tessellation, polygons, fire effects, smoke effects, light bounce, detail, physics, sound FX and 'wide-linear' game-play.

So now, how much do you think it will take?

Do you know anything about programming? Serious question.

All the stuff that you mentioned can be programmed with executable code which doesn't take a lot of space.

God of War 3's executable file is only 5.3 megabytes and that includes a lot of programming magic (physics, lighting, animations, sound processing etc.): http://www.examiner.com/article/tim-moss-on-coding-god-of-war-iii

ps: Which game doesn't use polygons these days? You mention it like it's some groundbreaking technology, although it's been used for 2 decades.

Light bouncing needs raytracing, which is not supported by the PS3. No offense, but it seems to me that you threw around a few tech buzzwords, even though you may not know what they mean.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 23 of 29 (213 Views)
Naughty Paw
11911 posts

Feb 11, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

/thread

NazzyQ wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:
^ He's talking about whether it will be dual layered or not. I'm saying that based on them saying that the SP will be close to UC2's length, it can be 30-40 gb, depending on amount of content on disc. It sounds unreasonable that TLOU will have the same space as UC3, unless it's chockful of content.

Hmm but I don't think it was the 3D that took up a huge chunk of space on the U3 disc. After all Gears of War 3 has 3D, even though it's on an 8gb DVD disc.

ND games use PRERECORDED (aka video) cutscenes. Of course it takes a lot of space!

plaZeHD7 wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

Ok, replace 3D with life-like animations, dynamic AI, imperfect shadow maps[BTW The Last Of Us is the only game that uses this tech], water tessellation, polygons, fire effects, smoke effects, light bounce, detail, physics, sound FX and 'wide-linear' game-play.

All the stuff that you mentioned can be programmed with executable code which doesn't take a lot of space.

God of War 3's executable file is only 5.3 megabytes and that includes a lot of programming magic (physics, lighting, animations, sound processing etc.): http://www.examiner.com/article/tim-moss-on-coding-god-of-war-iii

ps: Which game doesn't use polygons these days? You mention it like it's some groundbreaking technology, although it's been used for 2 decades.

Light bouncing needs raytracing, which is not supported by the PS3. No offense, but it seems to me that you threw around a few tech buzzwords, even though you may not know what they mean.

LOL I was waiting for you to show up.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 24 of 29 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

Feb 11, 2013

I'm with on Akyemeni on this one. This will take more space if the cinematics will be 3d. It's like they are loading the same cinematics twice, one for the left eye angle the other for the right. Because if they didn't do this, and just let the ps3 crunch the 3d rendering using 1 cinematic footage the quality of the cinematic will be lower (or halfed) because ps3 is not powerful enough to render full hd in 3d.

I remember reading somewhere that killzone 3 is really a small game, but because of the 3d cinematics the game got more than twice its non 3d size. 3d movies have bigger size too than the normal 1080p movie.

My guess is that this will be smaller than U3. Because I feel this game will have more recycled textures than U3 and they might want to compress the files better on this one so they can put it up for sale on PSN.

+============================================================+
Message 25 of 29 (177 Views)
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Feb 11, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

/thread

NazzyQ wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

plaZeHD7 wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

I know every game uses polygons, but what I am trying to say is The Last Of Us uses more, and same thing with the rest I listed ,The Last Of Us does a better job at those things than Uncharted 3. I didn't know that PlayStation 3 doesn't support raytracing, but Naughty Dog them self said that they will be using light bounce tech during an interview.

Message 26 of 29 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Feb 11, 2013

Link?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 27 of 29 (157 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Feb 11, 2013
Message 28 of 29 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Feb 12, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

Didnt think about the 3d factor good point

Message 29 of 29 (118 Views)
0 Likes