Feb 26 2013
By: Solid_Altair Sackboy 520 posts

Gameplay Mechanics Speculations

4 replies 271 views Edited Feb 26, 2013

As a way to keep the hype active, I invite you to speculate about the gameplay, based on the info we were given so far, including the trailers.

My favorite speculation point is currently the melee. But there are certainly other puzzling elements which could be fun to explore. For instance, what the hell is sugar for? Will there be food-based medkits? Can the clicker truly only be killed by guns or shiv?

Here are my speculations about how the melee mechanics seem to work:

TLoU Singleplayer Melee

Now, about TLoU, I think they can go melee heavy on the MP. And I think that because of how the SP melee seems to work.

I think I've deducted some melee rules, from obsessing over the trailers.

The melee looks extremely organic and there doesn1t seem to be any mashing, quick time event or otherwise ridiculous mini-game involved. Yay!

It seems to be all about the approach and the weapon.

Good Approach

You can have a good approach by engaging in melee against a staggered (by thrown object, for instance) or unaware enemy (attacking from a corner). In a good approach, Joel doesn't take damage and finishes his enemy. The weapon he uses only speeds up how quickly he does the job, which is important, since these strugles are noisy and are likely to bring other enemies who may attack you just as you're finishing your first victim.

Bad Approach

If your enemy sneaks up on you or catches you right after you attacked his pal, the approach is in his favor. In this bad approach (for you), Joel loses health and, if he survives, he eventually stops loosing health and finishes his opponent. Apparently, Ellie can help you (just before dat shotgun headshot in that trailer) so that you loose less health before starting to counter your enemy. On the other hand, perhaps the enviroment will play a role on making you loose more health (Joel looses a big chunk even against an unarmed enemy, when he gets his head smashed on that dresser). I don't know if Joel can use his melee weapon to counter the enemies. I think not. From what I saw, he always uses his bare hands, which means the counters are likely to be slow (which is bad, for you... so, do care about your approach).

Excellent Approach

If you approach an unaware enemy from behind, you can grab him and finish him silently (at least the humans). We've seen on that hands on that Clickers can't be choked. To stealth kill them you need to shiv them. And against other enemies, the shiv would still help you to speed up the kill, since the choke takes quite a while.

Average Approach

What I still really don't know is about a head-on approach. What happens if Joel and his enemy are aware of eachother and they initiate the melee, simultaneously? I don't think we've seen any such example, yet. My guess is that Joel attacks first; then, if enemy survive, enemy counters with his weapon; and if Joel Survives, Joel finishes the enemy. If Joel's weapon can one-hit-kill a certain enemy, a head-on approach would still leave him unscathed (against a single enemy, at least).

Clicker

Finally, it seems the Clicker can't be meleed (it just kills you), except for the Shiv (which requires the best approach). I still don't know if people hamve experimented enough on the hands-on. I'm curious about whether we can at least stun them for a while, with a good a approach (like attacking with an axe, from a corner)... giving us some time to run past them. In the infected gameplay preview, I'm pretty sure I saw Joel dropping what looked like a clicker, using an improvised axe. And one of the previewers said there was a 'half-clicker' type of enemy. My doubts remain alive.

TLoU Multiplayer Melee

Now... if I got these rules just about right, we could have a very rich melee in MP. I'd love to play as a Clicker, if it gave me awesome melee advantages!

For equal characters, the main thing would be ditching the counters that Joel performs when his enemy gets the initiative. In MP, if someone approaches you well (after staggering you or from a corner), this person kills you without taking damage. Period. I mean... unless you have a friend nearby to save you, kinda like Ellie. The quality of the attacker's melee weapon determines how quickly he kills you. If it's quick, you will hardly be saved by your friends... your friends may actually not even be able to get a cheap shot at your killer.

As for head-on approaches, it would be tough. I think the guy with the best weapon should attack first. If the other survives, other counters with his weapon. Then, repeat the process until someone dies or someone interferes.

That melee boost in the pre-order bonus could be simply an upgrade to the damage caused by any melee, which might make a difference, requiring one last hit to kill in some good approaches, or actually turning the tides on a head-on conflict.

What do you guys think about these speculations?

Message 1 of 5 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
583 posts

Re: Gameplay Mechanics Speculations

Feb 26, 2013
It's all good but it seems very familiar. Have you posted this before?
Message 2 of 5 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
787 posts

Feb 26, 2013

These ideas seem to make more sense at this point, but I'm still convinced the player stll plays a part in these melee encounters rather than hitting a button and hoping for the best. I think there is still time for players to time hits, and counters or even up their defence a bit by mashing a button or something

Oh and in reality, sugar can be used to treat open wounds. Whilst it may not be the most sophisticated method, well it's all they'd have during those times. I've never heard of explosive sugar or whatever so I'm not sure what other uses it has. It clearly has a few because it has it's own section in the backpack.

Message 3 of 5 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Feb 27, 2013

Cmdr_Firezone38 wrote:
It's all good but it seems very familiar. Have you posted this before?

Yup. Man Embarassed I hope it's not terribly inpolite. I posted this stuff in another thread, trying to avoid creating a new thread. But the other thread was more about the multiplayer - peaple weren't in a vibe to speculate about the melee itself, I guess. Plus, long posts tend to get lost in the middle of threads, so I added the speculations here, with minor editing. In fact I got the first replies to the speculation itself here, because it's in the OP and because it's closely related to the thread's title, I guess. I hope it's OK.

Lt_K4RL0S wrote:

These ideas seem to make more sense at this point, but I'm still convinced the player stll plays a part in these melee encounters rather than hitting a button and hoping for the best. I think there is still time for players to time hits, and counters or even up their defence a bit by mashing a button or something

Oh and in reality, sugar can be used to treat open wounds. Whilst it may not be the most sophisticated method, well it's all they'd have during those times. I've never heard of explosive sugar or whatever so I'm not sure what other uses it has. It clearly has a few because it has it's own section in the backpack.

I think it's quite probable that the player is supposed to keep pressing a button to continue to attack, or that he must press a button to defend; but these button presses will be merely a way to confirm that you wanna do that. I hope there will be no mashing (or, at least, no mashing where a very high speed will matter). And I don't think sharp timing is gonna play a role. Think of it like Dead Space mashing when grappling with a necro... it's merely a way to let you give up, if you wanna see a cool death Smiley Tongue

I think allowing timing or mashing to play a big role in the melee could end up let us feel cocky in our fighting skills, instead of relying on ambush and scarce weapons. It would take away some of the survival vibe, imo. So, I hope it's all gonna be about approach and weapon.

As for the sugar... I had no freaking idea that it could be used on wounds. I'd have guessed the opposite. Good to know, man.

And do you guys think food will play a systematic role, as if there were some implicit stamina (a la MGS3)? I just really wouldn't like for food to be used as medkits.

Message 4 of 5 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2013

(sorry... accidental post)

Message 5 of 5 (91 Views)
0 Likes