Jun 05 2013
By: cvbxsta Hekseville Citizen 268 posts

From PSX Extreme - "The Last Of Us Might Prove That Game Writing Is On The Rise"

5 replies 393 views Edited Jun 5, 2013

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/13209.html

Disclaimer: As the embargo for this game doesn't officially lift for a few more hours, I won't be offering any detailed analysis. That will be saved for the review. Also, there are no spoilers in this article.

The perfect scores for Naughty Dog's The Last Of Us continue to roll in, which is encouraging. But after playing the game for quite some time, it strikes me that perhaps the latest from the Uncharted developer will be revered for it's story. Not only will the story be praised, but it may even be seen as a pioneering narrative, maybe even akin to something Quantic Dream would produce.

When I first heard about the setting and concept, I was reading Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, "The Road." It was ironic becauseThe Last Of Us has a lot in common with that book. Obviously, there is still no comparing any video game script to great literature but if interactive entertainment continues to take strides, gamers (or rather, gamers with a brain) should be hopeful. We'll get Quantic's Beyond: Two Souls later this year and that could further prove that gaming is moving onward and upward in the writing/storytelling realm.

What is maybe most important about The Last Of Us is that its story aspires to something more than we're accustomed to in gaming. We've seen wonderful examples of drama and emotion in titles like Heavy Rain and Telltale's The Walking Dead, and this year we got a complex and well-written narrative from Bioshock Infinite. Just don't be surprised if critics laud the story in Naughty Dog's new title as being another step in the right direction. And as I'm a writer at heart, I love to see examples of forward progress in the arts. Pretty pictures are nice (and man, are they pretty in TLoU) but the real impact comes from somewhere else...

Only 10 days. I can't wait

Message 1 of 6 (393 Views)
I Only Post Everything
870 posts

Re: From PSX Extreme - "The Last Of Us Might Prove That Game Writing Is On The Rise"

Jun 5, 2013

So after the embargo is lifted, reviewers can basically spoil everything about the game or how does that work?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 6 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

Re: From PSX Extreme - "The Last Of Us Might Prove That Game Writing Is On The Rise"

[ Edited ]
Jun 5, 2013

Anything they want to write about the game can be posted, yes.

That being said, I think most reviewers have enough sense to realize that this game is story heavy and alot of readers DON'T want to see spoilers.

sig.png

Message 3 of 6 (305 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

Jun 5, 2013

ND RELEASE THE GAME NOW GODDARNITINHEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 4 of 6 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 5, 2013

EDSTA713 wrote:

So after the embargo is lifted, reviewers can basically spoil everything about the game or how does that work?

No, Sony has a detailed checklist describing what events and story elements can and can't be mentioned. And video reviews can only show very specific clips of gameplay.

Message 5 of 6 (292 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Welcoming Committee
14140 posts

Jun 5, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/13209.html

Disclaimer: As the embargo for this game doesn't officially lift for a few more hours, I won't be offering any detailed analysis. That will be saved for the review. Also, there are no spoilers in this article.

The perfect scores for Naughty Dog's The Last Of Us continue to roll in, which is encouraging. But after playing the game for quite some time, it strikes me that perhaps the latest from the Uncharted developer will be revered for it's story. Not only will the story be praised, but it may even be seen as a pioneering narrative, maybe even akin to something Quantic Dream would produce.

When I first heard about the setting and concept, I was reading Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, "The Road." It was ironic becauseThe Last Of Us has a lot in common with that book. Obviously, there is still no comparing any video game script to great literature but if interactive entertainment continues to take strides, gamers (or rather, gamers with a brain) should be hopeful. We'll get Quantic's Beyond: Two Souls later this year and that could further prove that gaming is moving onward and upward in the writing/storytelling realm.

What is maybe most important about The Last Of Us is that its story aspires to something more than we're accustomed to in gaming. We've seen wonderful examples of drama and emotion in titles like Heavy Rain and Telltale's The Walking Dead, and this year we got a complex and well-written narrative from Bioshock Infinite. Just don't be surprised if critics laud the story in Naughty Dog's new title as being another step in the right direction. And as I'm a writer at heart, I love to see examples of forward progress in the arts. Pretty pictures are nice (and man, are they pretty in TLoU) but the real impact comes from somewhere else...

Only 10 days. I can't wait

Quantic Dream?

No way.

Quantic Dream have the best story writers in the whole business. If they matched that with good gameplay. Then maybe just maybe... This isn't only game of the year..

It could be the best game ever.

But I wont get carried away.

Message 6 of 6 (245 Views)