Highlighted
May 31 2013
By: EDSTA713 I Only Post Everything 870 posts

First TLOU Review! No Spoilers

[ Edited ]
13 replies 5840 views Edited May 31, 2013

An very short one to say the least. It isn't much of a good review since everything they said most of us already know. It got a perfect 5 stars from them.

From EmpireOnline...

"A fungal plague has devastated humanity, reducing the infected to brutal, mis-shapen wrecks. Two decades on from the outbreak, you play Joel, an emotionally haunted survivor as he guides the young Ellie to a safehouse on the other side of wasteland America. On the surface, the set-up could be pitched as ‘Ico meets The Walking Dead’ but the execution makes it so much more than that.

The world you’ll be travelling is fraught with danger – more often from other humans than from the Infected – but is unerringly beautiful. Nature has reclaimed urban spaces, and the results are stunning. Colour and lighting change with the seasons as the story progresses, and characters’ appearances become worn and tired with time. This is easily the best-looking game on PS3.

The gameplay itself could easily have been a disappointment – broadly a mix of stealth and action, with innumerable sections of waist-high cover shooting, it doesn’t immediately offer anything new. Played with a shooter mindset, it doesn’t, in fact. However, it’s in avoiding combat when possible, incapacitating foes and only killing when absolutely, unavoidably necessary that the game stands apart. You’ll pause, consider options, listen, always aware that a mis-timed charge into action will prove fatal. You’re not playing a superhero, or even anyone as tough as Nathan Drake from Naughty Dog’s earlier Uncharted games – you’re playing a human, as fragile and vulnerable as any of us. When you are forced to fight, it’s short, sharp, shocking, and the game treats violence with almost disgust – necessary evils.

At the heart of the game is the almost parental relationship between Joel and his charge, one brought to life through the best vocal performances yet heard in a video game. The production quality of the game is spectacular but the actors are working at another level. The score, the first Brokeback Mountain’s Gustavo Santolalla has composed for games, is also superb, ratcheting up the tension and underscoring the solitude of the world through use of silence as much as bold orchestral moments. There are many cinematic influences at work throughout the game, but it avoids feeling like an interactive movie.

The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gaming’s Citizen Kane moment – a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favourably for decades."

large_5.png

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?GID=973

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 14 (5,840 Views)
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Re: First TLOU Review!

May 31, 2013

...and also a first perfect score.

**bleep**, i was about to post this, you beat me by 5 seconds Smiley Mad

Message 2 of 14 (5,830 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20408 posts

Re: First TLOU Review! No Spoilers

May 31, 2013

They gave it a 5 out of 5.

Happy Face

No thoughts on MP though. Still, from the review, looks like the story comes first and the gameplay second. We'll see how this goes.

Message 3 of 14 (5,820 Views)
Splicer
58 posts

May 31, 2013

Litte concered with the gameplay here, hope he was playing on easy.

Message 4 of 14 (5,727 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

May 31, 2013

EDSTA713 wrote:

The gameplay itself could easily have been a disappointment – broadly a mix of stealth and action, with innumerable sections of waist-high cover shooting, it doesn’t immediately offer anything new. Played with a shooter mindset, it doesn’t, in fact. However, it’s in avoiding combat when possible, incapacitating foes and only killing when absolutely, unavoidably necessary that the game stands apart.

Something here doesn't seem right.

From what we've seen, it seems that even playing it as a rambo-esque 3rd person shooter should provide an immensely different expereince to other 3rd person shooters. Bullets are rare, you and the enemies both die very quickly, the AI is smart enough to flank you and actively hunt you, etc...

It's not just mindless 'shoot badguys' formula of many other 3rd person shooters.

Of course, I haven't played it; I'm merely referring to what we've seen in videos.

Regardless, a perfect score! I'll take it Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 14 (5,631 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
344 posts

[ Edited ]
May 31, 2013

How can people review games without playingevery aspect of the game? , thats like reviewing a car and going **bleep** it mate ill give it a 10/10 it drives amazing only for them to say "but sir it dosnt have wheels".

sub sig

sig url -

Message 6 of 14 (5,593 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11613 posts

May 31, 2013
Cool. Let's see what the other reviewers have to say. ..

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 7 of 14 (5,063 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11613 posts

Jun 2, 2013

Due to the nature of the beast I can't say much about The Last Of Us – come back to VideoGamer.com this Wednesday if you want my full thoughts – but this week has seen me start and finish Naughty Dog's latest game.

If you're a regular to the site you may have noticed that my early impressions fell within the realm of being slightly worried about it, going as far as to say it may not be the experience I hoped it would. All I'll say is I was very, very wrong...

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/the_last_of_us/features/article/videogamer_com_plays_may_31_2013.html

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 8 of 14 (1,418 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013

Definitely not the best looking game on ps3. I was disappointed in the graphics, coming from gow ascension. I know someone's going to say "but, but it's a demo!!!" So, what? I've never seen a demo/beta have its graphics improved at release (except mass effect 2's screen tearing, if you want to count that). And the demo definitely didn't scream "best game this generation."

I hope the game is great, considering the demo was a boring sightseeing tour.

- I try to fit "girlfriend" and "wife" in my posts, because I'm a non-lifting nerd who has a hard time getting noticed.

- I use mom jokes, instead of dad jokes because I'm a single mom baby and or have a stepdad.

- I campaign for equality until it benefits men (custody battle, retaliation to violence, portraying men as morons on tv, etc)

- I care about corporations more than consumers. I own no corporations...
Message 9 of 14 (1,399 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jun 2, 2013

There were also more glitches than expected in the demo. Like the ones EDSTA and AKyemi found. Plus, when climbing up the bridge I saw Ellie glitch up it. No video proof, though.

Last Of Us GOTY
Message 10 of 14 (1,391 Views)
0 Likes