May 28 2013
By: Dubbmentedd Monster Hunter 37 posts

Feeling down about the ending being spoiled ? READ THIS.

9 replies 2440 views Edited May 28, 2013

Spoiling the Ending Makes for a Better Story

"Old Yeller dies, Darth Vader is Luke's dad, Little Red Riding Hood lives. Did I spoil it? Yes I did. But maybe I did you a favor.

Spoilers enhance the enjoyment of a story, according to findings to be published in the journal  Psychological Science.

Researchers presented three versions of classic stories to 30 subjects. Each story had an ironic twist, or a solved-mystery, or a dramatic end. One version was the original—no spoiler–another had the spoiler woven into the story and the third gave the spoiler right off the bat.

Turned out the subjects significantly preferred a spoiled version of the ironic twist stories best. The literary stories were the least preferred. But subjects enjoyed the spoiled version more than the original.

The researchers speculate that narrative is inherently interesting, and spoilers may make stories easier to follow.

These findings make us realize good storytelling doesn't rely on lingering suspense. I mean, I've watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles about 20 times, and I know they make it home for Thanksgiving. Ooops. Sorry!

—Christie Nicholson reports"

Message 1 of 10 (2,440 Views)
Wastelander
769 posts

Re: Feeling down about the ending being spoiled ? READ THIS.

May 28, 2013

I agree with you, I posted this in another thread and I think it will prove useful here too.

PsiloCube wrote:
Everyone knew the ship was going to go down in Titanic, it was the special moments before and after it sunk that made it a good movie.

sig.png

Message 2 of 10 (2,403 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

May 28, 2013
Smiley Happy . I personally haven't been spoiled YET, but I did come across something in a youtube comment, that I quickly looked away from.. but now its stuck in my head ...

I don't understand people who are spoiling the ending for people, what purpose does it serve other than being a massive **bleep**..

But for anyone who knows how the game wraps up, I bet they're in for a fun time. enjoy.
Message 3 of 10 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

May 28, 2013

The same reason people bully others, they're lacking something in their life. In this case, they're lacking the console that's able to play this game.

sig.png

Message 4 of 10 (2,177 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

May 28, 2013

Most of the people I saw spoiling it was 360 nerds. I seen comments like:

'Blah and blah happens, and this is how it ends. Sorry PS3 gamers. XBOX for life!'

Jealous nerds. lol.

Message 5 of 10 (304 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

May 28, 2013

Dubbmentedd wrote:

Spoiling the Ending Makes for a Better Story

"Old Yeller dies, Darth Vader is Luke's dad, Little Red Riding Hood lives. Did I spoil it? Yes I did. But maybe I did you a favor.

Spoilers enhance the enjoyment of a story, according to findings to be published in the journal  Psychological Science.

Researchers presented three versions of classic stories to 30 subjects. Each story had an ironic twist, or a solved-mystery, or a dramatic end. One version was the original—no spoiler–another had the spoiler woven into the story and the third gave the spoiler right off the bat.

Turned out the subjects significantly preferred a spoiled version of the ironic twist stories best. The literary stories were the least preferred. But subjects enjoyed the spoiled version more than the original.

The researchers speculate that narrative is inherently interesting, and spoilers may make stories easier to follow.

These findings make us realize good storytelling doesn't rely on lingering suspense. I mean, I've watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles about 20 times, and I know they make it home for Thanksgiving. Ooops. Sorry!

—Christie Nicholson reports"

Thank you!

Message 6 of 10 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

May 29, 2013

TheNobleSquirrel really cleared up the leaked cut scene names for me. And then pretty much everything going around on the internet isn't true because from my understanding, the spoilers/rumors are coming from people who have seen the cut scene names. Therefore, they are making up pretty much everything that is going around. Trust me, if you think you've seen a spoiler or something, don't worry. I was freaking out about having the game ruined and then everything got cleared up for me and it all made sense. There may be new leaks that I don't know about but as of right now, I'm spoiler free.  And it feels good! If anyone is interested in having things cleared up just PM TheNobleSquirrel or myself. 2 weeks and 2 days!

Message 7 of 10 (209 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

May 29, 2013

auburntiger92 wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel really cleared up the leaked cut scene names for me. And then pretty much everything going around on the internet isn't true because from my understanding, the spoilers/rumors are coming from people who have seen the cut scene names. Therefore, they are making up pretty much everything that is going around. Trust me, if you think you've seen a spoiler or something, don't worry. I was freaking out about having the game ruined and then everything got cleared up for me and it all made sense. There may be new leaks that I don't know about but as of right now, I'm spoiler free.  And it feels good! If anyone is interested in having things cleared up just PM TheNobleSquirrel or myself. 2 weeks and 2 days!

Haha, kudos man, I appreciate that. I'm glad you're spoiler free, I am too! Just be sure to stay off of any comments, or Youtube.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 8 of 10 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

May 29, 2013
Hey dm me the ending!!
Message 9 of 10 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11190 posts

May 29, 2013
^no

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 10 of 10 (156 Views)
0 Likes