Splicer
41 posts

Re: Detroit IRL looks like it would be in The Last of Us, doesn't it?

Jul 21, 2013

tch2296 wrote:

Wow, a lot of Detroit-bashing lately, here and on the news haha!

Detroit would probably be one of my last choices of a place to live considering several facts which cannot be disputed; the city is broke (and just got denied by a Michigan circuit court when they attempted to file bankruptcy, lol), the crime rate has been historically high - I think Detroit probably has more "Murder Capital of the Year" awards (if you could call them that) than they do World Series Pennants or Superbowl wins, although it's not a terrible sports city anymore - and the weather sucks too!

IMO that's three strikes that would send me in the direction of Boston, New York, San Francisco, or my personal favorite, Santa Barbara.

But hey, circumstances beyond our control often dictate where we end up - I'm stuck in Portland, Maine right now which would certainly not be my top choice of residence, especially having moved here from Santa Barbara! Still, no need to get heated over this - there's sights to see and fun things to do in every city, including Detroit of course. I'm sure there's plenty of people who love Detroit, and I can't blame them for loving their hometown, as a matter of fact I think it's admirable to stick by it in hard times! I think it's kinda sad that what used to be a thriving, important American city is being abandoned by so many...

I could easily imagine my hometown of Boston going the same route things had turned out differently. EDIT - Now to think of it, I HAVE found out what Boston might be like if things go badly! 

EDIT #2: To clear up the "Enter at Your Own Risk" thing:   http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/police-to-surrender-detroit-post-enter-at-your-own-risk-signs-15882...

I've actually been looking into San Fransico. It seems nice and the job market seems good.

I agree no need for the heat to the discussion, I know city bashing can get some people's knicker's in a twist so I sort of expected it. it's not the first detroit "debate" I've been in but it will be my last cause I have nothing else to say about this place. I didn't want to offend cause I know some people still love it here but I honestly believe that the first step to solving a problem is to admit that there is one and sadly I sometimes find that a good number of Detroiters bury their head in the sand regarding the problems in this city or they see the issues but want to relive Detroit glory days and just wish things would go back to that. IMO, None of these things are helping the city.

Thanks for adding to the whole enter at your own risk thing, I knew it had something to do with the police dept.  I don't blame them. Being over worked and under paid in a volatile city will cause you to do anything.

Message 31 of 36 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jul 21, 2013
Detroit looks rough Smiley Surprised
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 32 of 36 (186 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jul 22, 2013

Long story short Detroit is pretty f*cked up. Those pictures are crazy, I didn't know parts of it were so abandoned. It looks like it is becoming a modern day ghost town.

Message 33 of 36 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 22, 2013

PsiloCube wrote:

HolyBudz wrote:

Awwwwww, i feel bad for Detriot Smiley Sad

You should never feel bad for something you can't spell, it usually means you don't know anything about it.

Is someone **bleep** off?

Geez man, chill. 

You're obviously offended because you live in Detroit and for some reason, is protecting it.(why the hell you're protecting it, I don't know). 

How about you get away from the keyboard, take a sip of your milk, and take a nap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

- John F. Kennedy
Message 34 of 36 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

Jul 22, 2013

Bashilir wrote:

PsiloCube wrote:

HolyBudz wrote:

Awwwwww, i feel bad for Detriot Smiley Sad

You should never feel bad for something you can't spell, it usually means you don't know anything about it.

Is someone **bleep** off?

Geez man, chill. 

You're obviously offended because you live in Detroit and for some reason, is protecting it.(why the hell you're protecting it, I don't know). 

How about you get away from the keyboard, take a sip of your milk, and take a nap.

No.

sig.png

Message 35 of 36 (157 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Jul 22, 2013
lol Detroit without being bankrupt. I'm afraid to see what it looks like WITH the bankruptcy issue Smiley Very Happy
Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 36 of 36 (154 Views)
0 Likes