Jan 30 2013
By: Black_Chamber Lombax Warrior 185 posts

Atmosphere

20 replies 294 views Edited Jan 30, 2013

I love atmosphere in entertainment.

Rain, moody lighting and immersive ambiance always pull me closer into the worlds presented to me in the medium of art, games and movies.

Take the movie "Blade Runner" for example. It rains 95% of the movie and it creates an atmosphere of gloom and uncertainty - not to mention jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring visuals when coupled with the Oriental neon signage of downtown Los Angeles circa 2019.

I hope that it rains copiously in "The Last Of Us".

I hope it rains for most of the game - at least at some dusk/night portions of the game.

Picture this scenario: It's dark outside - nighttime. You are out in the rain scavenging for anything useful and then enter a building - hearing the rain hitting the roof and windows of the structure while you look for supplies inside, sheltered from the rain. Flashes of lightning outside illuminate the dark interior of the building and for brief moments, you can see your surroundings. You see a candle you can use and after lighting it, you proceed to search cabinets and the like for anything you can find that may be useful over the course of your journey.

The is a low rumbling of thunder in the distance with the occasional loud explosive bursts of it, making things tense and unnerving.

That is what I hope the atmosphere in "The Last Of Us" is like.

"The only thing evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
Message 1 of 21 (294 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Re: Atmosphere

Jan 30, 2013

From everything we've seen so far, it looks like this is a main aspect they'll ace. I can't wait for the snowy parts of the game especially. Personally I find a light to heavy snowfall to be creepier than rain/thunder, as snowfall tends to make things very, very quiet to a soothing yet somewhat unnerving degree. Where I live, that's all it does is snow in winter time. The feeling of being out in the woods with the unique silence of snowfall is something else. 

Message 2 of 21 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Snowy areas are kind of creepy now that you mention it.

It is unnervingly quiet and could make for some atmospheric, tense scenarios!

Message 3 of 21 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Black_Chamber wrote:

Snowy areas are kind of creepy now that you mention it.

It is unnervingly quiet and could make for some atmospheric, tense scenarios!

Definitely! Imagine tracking someone, or something through the woods using only the footsteps in the snow. The pure white scenery would make for some pretty chilling fight sequences, with the blatant color of red staining the white atmosphere.

Message 4 of 21 (266 Views)
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jan 30, 2013

dh0rmazine wrote:

Definitely! Imagine tracking someone, or something through the woods using only the footsteps in the snow. The pure white scenery would make for some pretty chilling fight sequences, with the blatant color of red staining the white atmosphere.

I hope the tracking someone/something by the footsteps in the snow is actually in the game.
 How cool and tense would that be?!?
 Great stuff.
Message 5 of 21 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Jan 30, 2013
I can definitely imagine a situation where Joel gets knocked unconscious and Ellie is kidnapped. Waking up to footsteps in the snow and having to track them down. Finding a splatter of blood along the path from something.... So on so forth...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 21 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jan 30, 2013

That would be so, so amazing.

Message 7 of 21 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5547 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013

Following footsteps in the snow will always remind me of MGS Smiley Happy

MGS

Message 8 of 21 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11911 posts

Jan 30, 2013
"who's footprints are these?!?"

Always makes me laugh

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 9 of 21 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jan 31, 2013

From the looks of the concept art - there is going to be a lot of rain - and creepy nighttime scenes!

Naughty Dog, you guys [and gals] are amazing!

Message 10 of 21 (158 Views)
0 Likes