Sep 08 2013
By: Ragnarokpc First Son 4 posts

Game won't load

11 replies 2327 views Edited Sep 8, 2013

I've seen it posted elsewhere, but haven't seen a solution.  Game shows up in XMB and tries to launch.  My TV changes resolution, I assume to start the game up.  Screen goes black, PS3 makes some sounds . . . several seconds late, resolution reyurns to the original and kicks me back to XMB.  Haven't had problems with other games recently, but you can give me some other to try if it will help.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 12 (2,327 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Re: Game won't load

Sep 9, 2013

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

Are you connected to the internet or signed into PSN when you try to launch the game?

If so, try to sign out and try again...

Do you have any The Last of Us data in your Game Data folder in the XMB?

If so, delete that data and try again without being connected to the internet.

On the other hand, if you are not connected to the internet, try doing it, maybe your game will start updating.

Message 2 of 12 (2,298 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 9, 2013

Tried it out and no change.

I have 30 GB free on my HD

Uncharted 3 launches with no problem, as does Final Fantasy XIII (I've read that these are other games that have a similar disc format as Last of Us).

I took my Last of Us disc back to the store and it launches on their system fine.  But it's the only game giving my system problems.

Message 3 of 12 (2,288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Sep 9, 2013

I know that this might sound stupid, but try putting your PS3 sideways and upside down, then try running the game.

Message 4 of 12 (2,286 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 9, 2013

I had previously tried tilting the front up 45 degrees, and tilting it up a full 90 degrees so it was vertical, with the disc being fed from the top.  Neither worked.  Trying it on the left side and right side, as well as upside down per your suggestions, have also produced no change.

Message 5 of 12 (2,282 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 9, 2013

I am sorry, but I cannot help you anymore...Smiley Sad

There's one last thing, but you have to do it at your own risk, for you might lose all your data, and if you do it I will not be responsable for any inconvenient results... What I'm talking about is a format of your HDD, a quick HDD format maybe....if you do that it will basically take you to the day you bought the PS3, and you will lose all your data and saved games unless you upload the saves to the PS Servers (For that you have to sign up for PS+)

I wouldn't recommend doing it, it's not worth to do it over one game, and it's not necesssary if other games work fine, so unless you're having big problems with the PS3 don't do the format...

Message 6 of 12 (2,278 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 10, 2013

Well, unfortunately, this is exactly the same solution arrived at when I contacted SCEA tech support after a handful of other options failed.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed.  Apart from an undisclosed need for 54 GB to install (A huge amount of room for any system, more than 1/3 of my 140 GB and larger than some systems are even capable of), most of the soultions seemed fairly generic and not specific to what is going, but something that would be tried with any failure, like restoring the system files.  I'm left with formatting my ps3 - a rather drastic step by any measure - or paying money to send it in for repair.  Pretty sure repair options start at $100.  And all of this for ONE GAME which mysteriously won't run . . . other Naughty Dog titles will, other "multilayer" titles run . . . to me, it seems like there was a lack of testing on various generations of ps3 consoles or something, because this problem is one I've seen people talking about in many places.  Unfortunately, I don't see any successful resolutions, and I don't know that I'm willing to format my machine, risking the loss of my data simply to try one last-ditch effort to salvage a $60 investment.  Another title purchased at the same time as The Last of Us, Dishonored, works just fine.  What makes this one game so different?  And why at this point would I bother spending money on other games, for the risk that they won't work and I'll just be out of the money spent?  Buying new and selling it as used is a total waste, and I tried to show support for a supposedly great game with my wallet; it really is too bad that in return, the support I got for a non-functioning title is an offer to take it back as a used game from GameStop, and a suggestion to either format my entire machine, or spend a lot more money on making ONE GAME work.

DMGGY1969, please don't take this as anger directed towards you.  I appreciate any and all offers of assistance.  To me, console games are supposed to be pretty simple - you pop them in and play.  It's why PC gaming has largely died out.  I'll keep looking for solutions, but I'm not very optimistic at this point.

Message 7 of 12 (2,273 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Sep 10, 2013

First, don't send your console for repairing, there's no need for that.

Second, no offense taken, I totally understand and know how you feel.

If you're using an old version of the PS3 like the "Fat" one, that's more likely the cause why it won't work, I would say. If it's the "Slim" version, it "should" work just fine, the same for the "Super Slim" one.

As I already said, I can no longer help with anything, it's up to you to decide rather or not to format the HDD...

Cheers mate!

Message 8 of 12 (2,271 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2013

The first thing I can suggest that I do because HD's do go bad and thing's happen. Get a USB drive format it to fat32 with a PC and make sure it's jest fat32 because windows 7 can do a different type of fat32 format but I do know a good free program for that if needed. Then back up all game saves so you could format the drive and then reinstall the game saves by jest plugging in the USB drive to the ps3.  Then You also have the option to go to a larger HD drive if you wish or need it replaced. This also frees the drive from the games and data you no longer play. Then if you do a format all you have to do is jest put the game back in do your down load and put the saves back in before you play it.

Message 9 of 12 (2,268 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 21, 2014

Sonys last update was corrupted. Right before the release of the ps4 they came out with an update so we would have to go by a new ps4. I have tryed everthing I found on tge internet safe mode ran #3 option ran it all nothing works.**** that **bleep** sony.

Edit: profanity

Message 10 of 12 (1,710 Views)
0 Likes