Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 28 2012
By: Syph1n Hekseville Citizen 350 posts

Dead Island - A work of art ... In progress.

5 replies 254 views Edited Apr 28, 2012

A friend of mine recently has been bothering me to purchase  the semi new "Dead Island,"    and after weeks of badgering  by this friend I finally went out and rented the game.     Played it for a week,  and was instantly in love. 

Paradise!     Zombie chicks in bikini's,  swords, sledgehammers and   all the gore that anyone could ever ask for in  a post apocalyptic rendition of a resort island!  I played the game for only four days out of the seven day rental before I returned it to  the video store,  and proceeded to purchase my own copy.  

Since buying the game I have played it a lot, and I have identified    a few major pro's and con's of the game.       

First off,   my view of the overall quality of the game.        I could describe it as "endlessly entertaining"   -   Which in today's gaming world is a very rare thing to come by.       Something many game developers  don't seem to understand   is that  Unlimited ammunition can really ruin any zombie game.      Mowing down waves of mindless freaks with machine guns gets old - quickly.      Techland really broke ground on the Ps3 introducing a combat system focused on Melee.
Starting the game with only a wooden padle   you smack and bash your way   up to electrifying machete's, chainsaws,  molotov cocktails,   swords and much much more.   

In the beginning I had trouble with the control scheme,  using the "Digital" fight set up  resulted in a lot of smashing down  on my R1.    However, Techland  came trough again with their own "Analog" fight type   which completely changed my experience with the game. 

"Analog" - Allows you to hold down the L1 trigger to aim while using the right analog stick to  swing the weapon in any direction.      This is a  game changer.
Instead of simply swinging my weapon across their chest with repeated  smashing of R1,    I can now dynamically dismantle my undead   victims.   I can  make heads fall from shoulders  with the flick of a thumb.     I can break both of my  targets arms,     or use my sledgehammer to bring a cataclysmic uppercut into the jaw of one unlucky Joe.

The graphics in this game are up to par with most other recent releases.   They are not the best, releases such as Dead Space, Operation Flashpoint, and Skyrim still blow  this game out of the water.        The audio was overall of good quality.   There was no outstandingly annoying music.   The acoustics of walking trough  the Armageddon struck city played over a surround sound system  or  stereo headphones can really set the mood for  smashing skulls..   Hearing the nearby cries and howls of the infected   is enough to have you treading along with your weapon at the ready !

Now,  I feel like Dead Island (like most other games today) was rushed in it's development.    Which is a shame,  because with maybe just a few more months in development  this game could have been a solid 10/10       

First off,  my single largest issue with the game.   The servers are so unreliable,  I just do not understand it.  I can play almost any game online   with extremely minimal connection issues,  I almost never experience lag  or connection loss  with most other games I play.   Dead Island however ..  Is a Pain in the ***    
  Some days connection to  my friends is just not possible,   we cannot accept game invites  Or  use the Game Lobby.          It is widely talked about that this game has a tendancy to  "Hard Crash" your Ps3,   otherwise known as a Freeze.     I will attest to needing to manually reboot my system  anytime the game is on for more than two-three hours.
                 There are  more minor details in the game that I quarrel with,    such as the dialog between  characters you meet on the island.  Some of the voice overs are not so well done,  and are often repetitive.         I do not like the driving in the game.   It feels too stiff, the roads are narrow & covered in debris , and the vehicles are difficult to control. 

Message 1 of 6 (254 Views)
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Re: Dead Island - A work of art ... In progress.

Jul 8, 2012
sounds like alot of fun. i've been debating getting this title and i just may have to now, very convincing
"do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one"

Get your Portable ID!
Message 2 of 6 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21896 posts

Jul 11, 2012

MMAtt702 wrote:
sounds like alot of fun. i've been debating getting this title and i just may have to now, very convincing

For $20 it's well worht it. It can get repetitive at times, but definitely fun and even better it's co-op.

Message 3 of 6 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Sep 27, 2012
Just got dead island and its sweet
Message 4 of 6 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Sep 29, 2012

I have had it for over a month and totally enjoy it. It is pretty rough around the edges but it is really wild. I will never walk across a peaceful beach the same way again. Hearing the zombies screaming in the game is still  a nerve raising experience. Not many games freak me out but when that happens it gets me every time. I recommend it to everyone. Just becareful of those rough edges.   :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 6 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1135 posts

Oct 6, 2012

lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like waffles
Message 6 of 6 (175 Views)