Jun 12 2011
By: ejenks909 First Son 3 posts

Yellow Light, PS3 Fat 80GB Issue

2 replies 426 views Edited Jun 12, 2011

Hey guys, my PS3 seems to be getting the "Yellow Light of Death" problem. It struck just after I had finished installing Infamous, which I got as part of the welcome back program. This kinda makes me think that the download process has had something to do with it as the system was powered on for quite awhile, but it has never overheated before. I'm really hoping it's not an issue with the hard drive, as all of my save games are still on it.

I find I am able to turn it on after awhile of leaving it off, but I cannot get past the screen that says "The PS3 was not shut off properly" which is obviously displayed in response to the crash. I know all the signs point to it overheating, and it may well be the system overheating, but when I felt it it did not feel hot at all, and as I mentioned earlier I have never had problems with it overheating. Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated.

--------

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Message 1 of 3 (426 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Re: Yellow Light, PS3 Fat 80GB Issue

Jun 12, 2011

after turning on the unit and taking a seat im ready to start downloading some free stuff, ok so i go to home central plaza and check things out some stuff comes up error and will not check out and then all of a sudden the unit just shuts off... *** right so i turn it back on and it said your unit was not shut down right and to press ok, so i did...went back into home and a few minutes later it did the same thing ... just shut off....but now the friggin YLOD comes on and the red light blinks.....the unit is the old style (fat) 80 gig and never had a problem with it untill this so called welcome back crap ......co•in•ci•dence ......what im i to think......or what to do...........****** off now and will totaly miss out on the free stuff......  now part 2...

I had this unit for over 4 years and no problems  and then yesterday YLOD...... I dont know i was desperate..... so i starting looking on youtube and found that alot of people had performed the hair dryer fix and it had worked...for some people......so with nothing to lose i tryed it ...i i pulled all the plugs removed the hard drive and put it aside and set the unit upside down with the rear vents facing me and used the hair dryer back n forth 21/2 inches away over the vents for 15 minutes and then let a fan blow on it for 20 ....... hook everything back up and ......nothing ......i thought maybe i didnt get it hot enough....so i took the box the unit came in... removed the hard drive again...placed the ps3  inside upside down in the box and center the hair dryer over the rear vents.....again 15 minutes of heat and this time 30minutes for cool down with the fan ......reinstall hard drive....plug everything in ......and what do you know it WORKS!!!!!!!! i know this is a temp fix at best but i hope it runs long enough to back up my files .... over eight hours on it yesterday and still working this person also had something to say about i did

There is a fix I used about 5 or 6 times to extend my ps3's life another year while I saved up money to purchase a new one. The guy in the video says DO NOT USE A HAIR DRYER.... so idk why he said it, but if it is working for you great!

This is the one I used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

Photobucket

Message 2 of 3 (426 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Re: Yellow Light, PS3 Fat 80GB Issue

Jun 12, 2011

I also put my intercooler back on, i took it off along time ago because the fan were making noise, they were cheep, went down to my local computer store and bought replacement fans at 9.00 bucks apice, now it works great and sure moves alot heat out of it, they dont make them any more for the fats only for slims, if you dont have one get one...amozon or ebay good luck

Photobucket

Message 3 of 3 (426 Views)
0 Likes