Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 30 2011
By: Darkside-Raven First Son 7 posts

Why won't my PS3 play streaming video files from media sever, but will when connected via USB?

9 replies 5748 views Edited Dec 30, 2010

So I have a bunch of movies on an external hard drive, some are .avi's  and some are .mpgs and .mpg4's and all that. I plug it in via USB and  they all play just fine, I have been doing this for a few years. I just  went out and got a bigger wireless hard drive that is compatible with  PS3 and transferred all of my movies over, I added some music and  pictures also to test out. The PS3 found the hard drive/media server  instantly, the music plays, and the pictures show up crystal clear, but  now all of the videos say they are an unsupported video type and won't  play. I can't find any info out there on this. Lots of people say  because it's a different codec and PS3's don't read all codecs, well it  played it before when directly attached via USB and now it doesn't when  its wireless. It sees the video files, but when I click on them it tries  to load and comes up and says that it's unsupported. I don't get it... I  tried a bunch of different videos, all which have worked numerous times  in the past and no go on any of them.

The hard drive I am using is a My Book World Edition 1TB. Before I had a  really old whatever brand 80GB hard drive from like 6-7 years ago.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: Why won't my PS3 play streaming video files from media sever, but will when connected via USB?

Dec 30, 2010

BTW this drive is meant to stream video to the PS3 or XBox360...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=300

Message 2 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
487 posts

Re: Why won't my PS3 play streaming video files from media sever, but will when connected via USB?

Dec 30, 2010

Yeah some codec's just don't work like ... for instance. Mp4 videos will play if they are connected direct to the ps3 otherwise it don't even see the files. But, if you using windows 7 it don't care it see it and plays without a hiccup.

Like you if the video don't stream one console it ussually will work on the other brand (360)

Message 3 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 30, 2010

I have a Mac, running OSX 10.6

The router is next to the TV in the living room, which is where the hard drive is, sitting next to the PS3.

Some things I have found say if it has played it before it can't be the codec, but I don't even know anymore...

Going to call playstation support and WD support later today...

Edit: I also have Boot Camp on my Mac so I can run Win7 if needed but, I rarely ever do though...

Message 4 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
487 posts

Dec 30, 2010

Well if those movies played before it should work now on the new drive. I dont use a Mac so I cant get into what it could be. Hopefully you find the solution to make it work ...

Message 5 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 30, 2010

Well the only thing I use the Mac for is to just transfer the files to the HDD since it is across the room. Otherwise it really doesn't play a role. It says that it is supposed to be able to stream videos over to the PS3, and it see the files but just can't read them now. movies, home video, anything... It just calls it an unsupported file type, but if I plug a HDD in directly then all of a sudden it's fine... All the videos I am trying it with have worked in the past, so I don't understand that part of it...

Music and Photos work fine, it's just the video that doesn't work...

Message 6 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
487 posts

Dec 30, 2010

Hey quick question: The external HDD is formated with what file system ?

Message 7 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 30, 2010

Not 100% sure, here is the page for it from the WD website:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=300

I'll have to check when i get home and see on the box or in the manual...

Does it need to be FAT32 or doesn't it matter?

I would imagine that it should work right out of the box since it promotes the idea of hooking it up to the PS3 all over...

Message 8 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 30, 2010

Well I am not sure if it is FAT32 or not, but if it wasn't wouldn't the music and photos not show up either then?

I tried calling Western Digital, and they said their drive is working fine on their end, it has to be a Playstation issue...

I called Sony and the guy was a complete retard. He could not figure out for the life of him how I ever got to play videos or music off an external hard drive when I plugged it in the USB. Seriously? I got it to work through the magic of plugging it in, my 2 year old could figure that out. He then said he could not help since it was not a Sony product. Thanks, nice Customer Service! I don't need help with the hard drive, it is doing what it is supposed to do, it's Your product that is not doing what it is supposed to do. Why is it not reading the files on the drive!?!?!?

Message 9 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 30, 2010

Update of the hour. The Rep on the phone told me they don't support anything other than WMP11 for media server, yet on their Own website I found a ton of info on setting up media servers other than WMP11, further proof he was a complete idiot, or ying to me, I'm sticking with that was a complete idiot.

Anyway, I found on Sony's site the reason sort of:

File names for data that is stored on servers that are not compliant  with DLNA may have an asterisk appended to the file name. In some cases,  these files cannot be played on the PS3™ system. Also, even if the  files can be played on the PS3™ system, it might not be possible to play  the files on other devices.

This is exactly what I have going on, the video files I can see on my ps3 but they don't play, and they all have the "*". So I'm not really sure where to go from here. How do I get my videos DLNA Compliant? I heard there are ways to hack the HDD to allow someting that lets the PS3 play anything, but not sure if I want to try that route. Is it really that hard to just have a server that I can host my movies on to stream to my PS3 without using a computer everytime I want to watch a movie, seriously? I have hundreds of movies and counting on this things, so it's not like I can just put them on my main computer and stream from there...

Message 10 of 10 (5,748 Views)
0 Likes