Feb 23 2011
By: Generalplot First Son 31 posts

Unsure of how to download future episodes from the Back To The Future Game bundle.

2 replies 14 views Edited Feb 23, 2011

I've talked to customer support, who in turn couldn't offer much help on this subject. My situation is, as follows: I have a fat PS3 (originally 40 GB non backwards compatible model). My PS3 is a US console, which I brought with me when I moved to England. I still use the US Playstation Store to buy content (as my credit card is drawn up from a bank in New York). I've installed a modified version of 3.55 (KMEAW to be exact) to allow use of homebrew. My reason for this is strictly for development access to the platform. I'm a team member for PCSX2 (which is a Playstation 2 emulator for PC) and my team is interested in porting the project over to the PS3, which of course requires ability to run homebrew code. We have a fairly stable and compatible build, and the prospect of bringing it to the PS3 is quite enticing. Afterall, during the E3 press conference, it was stated that PS2 emulation on the PS3 was in the works (which of course was later dropped by Sony). I'm purely interested in bringing back PS2 support, and nothing else.

I understand that piracy and game hacks/cheats are a concern for Sony, and are valid reasons to be. That said, I still would prefer to keep my console in it's modified state, as obviously deleting all traces of the mod and bringing  the system up to the latest firmware will remove all homebrew capability that it currently has. To get to my question, however, I recently bought the Back To The Future game bundle (regardless what the general concensus is, even though I have the ability to run games illegally, I still buy them) and this game bundle is a sequential release. The first episode is the one I have now, with the other four to follow at monthly intervals. So, I bought the game, downloaded it and disconnected from the network. A couple hours later, I received the infamous warning email from Sony stating that my PS3 in fact has a circumvention device or software and that if I do not remove these, my account could be terminated. So, now that I've bought this game and have the first episode, I'm not sure how I can go about getting the other four without risking getting my console and/or account banned. Again, I am looking for an alternative other than removing the software modifications on my PS3. It is my console, afterall, and is well out of warranty, so I'm not concerned about that either. I'm just trying to get the game that I paid for without risking my account being banned. Any help would be appreciated, as calling customer service gets me nowhere.

Official betatester of PCSX2 and Co-owner of General Emulation
Message 1 of 3 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3314 posts

Re: Unsure of how to download future episodes from the Back To The Future Game bundle.

Feb 23, 2011

The easiest solution is to buy another PS3 (a used one is fine) for your online gaming and PSN Store needs.  

Message 2 of 3 (14 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Re: Unsure of how to download future episodes from the Back To The Future Game bundle.

Feb 23, 2011

Yeah, I already know that's an option (and the easiest), but I'd like to avoid having to keep two identical consoles that serve different purposes. I know this is most likely going to be my only choice in the end, but it shouldn't have to be that way. Sony should let people on lower/custom firmware access the Playstation store perhaps, but only allow online gameplay if their system software is up to date. They only hurt themselves if they lock people out of the ability to access the PSN Store. It'd be like if you tried to go into a mall with a fist full of cash and being stopped at the door and not being let in because your clothes are out of fashion.

I'm a heavy supporter of the Playstation brand and I have been for a long time, but the way they're handling things lately really bugs me. Police raids, DMCA takedown notices to people who don't live in the US (DMCA is a US only law), lawsuits, etc... Hopefully someone at Sony HQ will figure out this isn't the best way to go about it.

Official betatester of PCSX2 and Co-owner of General Emulation
Message 3 of 3 (14 Views)
0 Likes