Aug 07 2012
By: chel_cee7 First Son 28 posts

System showing green light, then yellow and shuts off

2 replies 495 views Edited Aug 7, 2012

So as the title states my PS3 system is showing yellow light very briefly after I turn the system on and then shuts off.  I have been able to turn the system on and play games.  Just yesterday I got online, played a game, updated it and it seemed fine.  This morning I turned it on and saw the same thing again.  I was able to start my PS3 up properly and did a file system restore.

I own a fat 80GB PS3, purchased in '09 and is no longer under warranty. Never had issues such as this before.  And the yellow light has only showed twice since saturday ( Aug. 4 ) and again today.  Anyone speculate that my PS3 will completely fail soon?  Can it be repaired?

Thanks,

Chels

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (495 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28100 posts

Re: System showing green light, then yellow and shuts off

Aug 7, 2012

It looks as though your PS3 has suffered / is suffering the "dreaded" YLOD, Yellow Light of Death & will fail soon.

If you're still able to turn it on & it stays on I would perform a back-up of your saved data a soon as possible, your PS3 will need repairing, either by yourself, Sony or a third party.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (492 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Re: System showing green light, then yellow and shuts off

Aug 7, 2012

Thanks for your reply.

Now, as far as backing-up data.  How can I go about this?  Can I use CDs?  Or will I need some type of external hard disc?  And can I back up downloadable content such as DLC and games?  What about game data; can that be saved too or will I just need to reinstall all my games once I get my system repaired or a new PS3?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (486 Views)
0 Likes