Aug 02 2012
By: tyler_mct First Son 1 posts

Playing ps2 games on ps3

2 replies 350 views Edited Aug 2, 2012

Hello there. I've got the old ps3 fat, 80gb, and according to online sources I can play ps2 games on my system, but when i stick the ps2 game in it comes up with "unsupported data" "This model of the PS3™ system is not compataible with PlayStation®2 format software. So that's a bit of a let down, so i do some research into this and apparently there's something on the Playstation Store called "Ps2™ System Data" So i watched a few videos and i saw how they retrieved this application/data , it wasn't on the playstation store. I'm from the UK and my system software is Version 4.20, what do i do?

Message 1 of 3 (350 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
38518 posts

Re: Playing ps2 games on ps3

Aug 2, 2012

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

I'm assuming you don't actually have a BC PS3, hence the error notice you're recieving.

As for the PS2 system data, this is only for BC PS3's, which as indicated above it appears yours is not.

What model number if your PS3?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 3 (339 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
27139 posts

Re: Playing ps2 games on ps3

Aug 2, 2012

The PS2 System Data download just allowed PS2s that were already compatible with PS2 games to work with the few games that required the PS2 hard disk drive.  Mostly Final Fantasy XI, but there were a couple of others in various regions.  It doesn't enable any PS3 to run PS2 games generally.  You misread your sources.  There were two different 80GB PS3s.  One was distributed as part of the PS3 MotorStorm bundle, and the other was the second generation PS3 fat.  Only the MotorStorm bundle 80GB PS3s can play PS2 games.  The other 80GB fat PS3s can't run PS2 games, except for PS2 Classics from the Playstation Store. 

GKP
Message 3 of 3 (335 Views)
0 Likes