Mar 13 2011
By: aquasoul87 First Son 3 posts

PS3 doesn't recognize discs since 3.60 update

41 replies 3118 views Edited Mar 13, 2011

First off, I want to say thanks in advance for any help.

Even since updating to 3.60 firmware, my PS3 won't show any disc in the menus of my PS3.  I can put discs in and out fine, but nothing seems to happen other than that.  I still can play all my PSN games fine.  I tried to set up the auto-start feature to see if that would work, but it didn't do anything.  Also, never had any problem before.

I'm rocking an old PS3 80gb (ps2 software backwards compatible one). Is there any way to rollback the ps3 firmware? I would really like to play games again, especially Dragon Age 2  which I just bought.  Am I going to have to send it to Sony?

Message 1 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS3 doesn't recognize discs since 3.60 update

Mar 13, 2011

Aquasoul87,

I feel your pain too! I have a PS3 60gb launch (ps2 hardware backwards compatible) and since the update I to am unable to play PS3 games but, at the moment it still reads blu ray movies and dvds. I have tried power cycling the system and even left it off over night with power switch found in the back in the off position. (Hoping some how it would start up fine the next day, but no luck. -_-)  I am just glad to see your post, thinking that there might be a bad update going around for the older systems.   If anyone else is having problems with the original PS3 please reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Kirkjas

Message 2 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3314 posts

Mar 13, 2011

This may sound odd, but try placing your system vertical (or horizontal if it's already vertical). Some people have been having some success with this trick. 

Message 3 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
446 posts

Mar 13, 2011

aquasoul87 wrote:

First off, I want to say thanks in advance for any help.

Even since updating to 3.60 firmware, my PS3 won't show any disc in the menus of my PS3.  I can put discs in and out fine, but nothing seems to happen other than that.  I still can play all my PSN games fine.  I tried to set up the auto-start feature to see if that would work, but it didn't do anything.  Also, never had any problem before.

I'm rocking an old PS3 80gb (ps2 software backwards compatible one). Is there any way to rollback the ps3 firmware? I would really like to play games again, especially Dragon Age 2  which I just bought.  Am I going to have to send it to Sony?

the blu-ray lens is shot. There's one separate for blu-ray gaming, and other for dvd/normal blu-rays. I'm not sure if its still possible, but try booting into Maintenance mode and re-install firmware. If not, there's nothing really you could do than either replacing the drive yourself or sending it to Sony.

Message 4 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 13, 2011

Why would it matter if it was blu-ray lens?  Both DVDs and blu-rays don't work, games or not.  I feel like it's not so much a hardware problem as a software one right now.  I'm hopeful Sony might be able to fix it in the next firmware update.  I guess I could try Maintenance mode though.

What options should I consider for the Maintenance mode?

• Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
  • Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
  • Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
  • Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
  • Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
  • System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
Message 5 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Mar 14, 2011

Hello aquasoul87,

the same problem here. I have a old 160Gb PS3 and just after update to firmware 3.60 my disk didn't recognize any disk.

I hope Sony can fix that quickly. WHAT A SHAME SONY !

Tks

Message 6 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 15, 2011

Got an 80GB backwards compatible fatboy as well, came bundled with MGS4. Anyway, same problem, no discs read right after the update. And i mean right after, was playing games fine before. Now nothing reads, no BD games, BD movies, PS2 DVD and CD games, DVD movies, Audio CDs, the works, lol. Gonna try and see if i can reinstall the update or something. I'll let you guys know if my fiddling reaps any rewards.

Message 7 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 15, 2011

I feel for the original poster, im currently on my second playstation system i used to have a ps3 40gig but the lens crapped out then i purchased a ps3 120gig and a week before it was going out of warranty it stopped reading disc and blue rays and started trying to eject the disc on its own but nothing came out was weird. Some one should post about the poor quality sony is producing now adays since my orignal playstation still works and my ps2 still works its just a shame really disappointed so to answer you, send it in and pay the bill cause sony doesnt help. Also had problems with my ps3 controllers where they stoped taking a charge again under a year luckly i still had the reciept and sony replaced for free but still not happy with quality i expect these expensive electronics to last longer then a year.

P.S. before sending in my playstation the service rep offered the extended warranty I asked if he expected it to have problems again he laughed and i purchased it.

Message 8 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 15, 2011

BTW I had my Wii since it came out and have never had a issue also recently hooked up my first nintendo the phat one and it still works was playing the original mario while i wait for my ps3 to come back not a horrible game lol.

Message 9 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 17, 2011

I've got the same problem and I don't used the PS3 much at all. Today I bought GT5, and put it in and played the game a little. Then I went to the playstation store to what's new. Before i could I was required to install that update 3.60.

Now it won't read any disc. Movies game music zero. Sony needs to fixed this.

Message 10 of 42 (3,118 Views)
0 Likes