Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 11 2011
By: A_Cry_For_Death First Son 5 posts

PS3 Game Save Data Utility Back-Up Questions

7 replies 16012 views Edited Jul 11, 2011

Please let me know if I am posting this in the wrong forum section, I'm a little new at this.

So my PS3 has recently overheated and I'm pretty sure the fan has blown out, and my warranty is still good (the warranty is with a retailer and not Sony). My question has to do with what data I can back up in game save. I know that my trophies will be saved as long as I sync them, already done that.

Two options: I could back up my data on my PS3 and swap out the hard drive onto another PS3, but I'm not sure if that would be smart considering if any damage has been done to the hard drive since the PS3 overheated.

Next I could save my game save data onto an external hard drive, then trade in my PS3 for a new one. If I do this I'm not sure if everything will stay the same or if any changes will be made. In specific, (It's kind of kinky, I know...) I was wondering if I were to save Modern Warfare 2 if my Special Ops Status Completion and Campaign Status Completion will stay the same. I know the question with Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have to do with 'Support', sorry about that.

Any tips or advice in a specific direction of what I should do with this would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (16,012 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13624 posts

Re: PS3 Game Save Data Utility Back-Up Questions

Jul 11, 2011

You can't swap your PS3 hard drive into another PS3 in order to transfer data.  Any PS3 hard drive can be used in any other PS3, but only after it has been reformatted.  No PS3 can read internal hard drive data written by any other PS3.

There are only two ways to back up PS3 save data.  You can copy the save data to external media such as a flash memory card (if you have a launch PS3 with memory card slots), or any USB storage device. Most save data can be copied as individual files.  Just select Copy from the option menu of the save data icon, and select the destination device storage device. You can copy the save file back to any other PS3, as long as the PS3 User is using the same PSN account that the save file was originally created for.

Some save data is marked copy-prohibited.  Copy-prohibited save data can't be copied individually to an external storage device.  You can back it up using the PS3 Backup Utility to a USB storage device, but the backup can only be restored to the same PS3.  This is useful if your hard drive fails, or if you want to upgrade your hard drive to a larger one; but it is useless if your PS3 fails and is replaced with a different one.  Playstation Plus subscribers have access to Online Storage for save files on the PSN servers.  Any save file, including copy-prohibited save files, can currently be backed up to Online Storage (it is possible for developers to prevent their save files from being backed up to Online Storage, but none have chosen to so far), and restored to any PS3.  If you play PS3 games that copy-prohibit their save data, you must subscribe to Playstation Plus to fully protect that save data.

Nothing about PS3 save data is tied to a particular PS3.  At most, the save data would be tied to a particular PSN account. You can access your PSN account on any PS3, so you can use your save file on any PS3; provided that you can transfer it there.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (16,012 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 11, 2011

Thank you very much for the advice and information.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (16,012 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 29, 2011

Thanks GKPama for that really useful info you posted.

I was wondering if you know the answer to a question I have regarding Playstation Plus' game save backup feature. I have backed up all my game saves about 18 hours ago into Game>Saved Data Utility (PS3)>Online Storage Folder. When I look inside that folder, all the game saves appear.

I have now purchased a new PS3 Slim. On this new console I have logged into my PSN account which has the Playstation Plus subscription, then took a look in the Online Storage Folder and no game saves appear, even though I'm logged in on PSN with the same account that I backed up my games saves to that folder on the other console.

I have phoned Sony and they have said that the game saves should appear instantly, even when logging in on a different console. They suggested I may not be logged in on the same account used to create the game saves or I have not backed up the saves properly. I am 100% sure I backed up the game saves with the same account that I am now attempting to access them with on my new console. I have also taken another look on my old console and all the game saves are still there in the online storage folder.

At a guess, I'm assuming for some reason there may be a 24 hour delay period before these game saves appear and are available for download onto another console?

Following your instructions, I have now backed up most of my game saves onto USB to transfer onto my new console. There were 5 game saves that did not give the option to backup to USB Stick: Tekken Dark Resurrection, Bomberman Ultra, Killzone 2, Kill Team, Lara Croft - Guardian of Light. But all the other game saves copied OK to the USB stick.

Perhaps there is something to do with the game saves I've indicated above that has caused the delay in my Playstation Plus online games saves being made available for download.

I also remember a message popping up whilst I was saving my game saves to the online folder every 5 messages or so saying something about limitation restrictions on downloads but indicating uploads can done as many times as necessary. Can't remember the exact wording.

I'm going to wait 24 hours to see if the online game saves appear, if not, then contact Sony again. But if you have any info in the meantime I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thanks

Adrian

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (16,012 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 29, 2011

Ah! Scrap that question. They've all just appeared. Problem solved.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (16,012 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13624 posts

Oct 29, 2011

The Online Storage game saves should appear more or less immediately on a new PS3; however, when you upload a copy-prohibited save to Online Storage, there is a 24-hour waiting period before you can download it to a different PS3.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (16,012 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
248 posts

Oct 31, 2011

Brilliantly helpful! I am about to switch to a 500G HDD and your answer to this question was very useful. I do have a couple additional questions...
Can I put the most recent PSN update on the same thumbdrive as the few game saves I'll have to transfer back?
Can I download ALL my game saves from the online cloud onto the new HDD in bulk when I get to that stage or do I need to do them one by one, do you know?

THANKS!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (16,012 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1086 posts

Jul 31, 2012

Hyjacking this thread since there are good replys.

Here is my plight.

I finally got PSN Plus again after a couple months of not having it AND having a busted ps3. I sent it in once, they screwed it up and the replacement was busted too, third times a try and got a good one. Now I finally got to get ps plus again, not fretting since I had my game saves up on the cloud service.. and what do I see? Nothing.. Empty Folder, no saves.... Freaking Out now. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (15,140 Views)
0 Likes