Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 07 2012
By: Bozendorfer First Son 5 posts

PS Vita touch screen not working when connected to PS3

6 replies 695 views Edited May 7, 2012

I bought a Vita last Tuesday and whenever I connected it, the touch screen wouldn't respond, so I took it back to the store to exchange for a new one. Now this new one is having the same problem!  Has anyone else experienced this?  The cables are connected correctly, I downloaded the latest firmware in both cases.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (695 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13938 posts

Re: PS Vita touch screen not working when connected to PS3

May 7, 2012

Is the PS3 in content manager assistant mode?  If not, the Vita is probably waiting for that to happen. Also make sure that the cable isn't plugged into the Vita upside down (PS symbol should be facing up).

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (695 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 8, 2012

Yes, I made sure countless times that the cable was inserted correctly, (The cable is keyed, so unless people are jamming it in, I don't know how you can connect the cable upside down) and my PS3 tells me it's connected and shows that icon of the Vita and the hand using the touch screen, but with both systems, I tap the Content Manager icon on the vita, and nothing happens.

I'm mainly curious if anyone else is having this problem. I guess when I have time this week I'll exchange for a third one.  Hopefully that one will work like it's supposed to, but if not, I'll see what I can do with the store to get a refund.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (695 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13938 posts

May 8, 2012

I didn't have that problem when I connected the Vita to my PS3, and plenty of other Vita owners have done so without problems as well.  It seems very unlikely that you would have the problem with two new Vitas, when no one else has reported it. The Vita USB cable is not effectively keyed.  You can plug it in upside down without damaging the connector on the cable, or in the Vita.  It fits more or less equally well either way.  So much so that one early online review erroneously stated that the cable could be plugged in either way.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (695 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 8, 2012

No one else is having this problem huh?

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS-Vita-General-Discussion/Vita-touch-screen-not-reacting-whe...

I think I just might hold on to my current system for now since it's sounding like it might be a firmware related issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (695 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13938 posts

May 8, 2012

I don't monitor the EU English forum.  That's still a very small number of people considering how many Vitas have been sold in North America and the UK.  If it is a firmware issue, then why is it only happening to a relative handful of consoles?  With connection to a PC there could be lots of other variables, but all PS3s are running the same software on the same hardware.  It can't just be an issue with the System software. It isn't common enough for that.  Why is it happening to you, but not many others?  Why is it happening to you on two separate consoles (which would seem to rule out a hardware defect), but not many others?  The firmware defect theory makes no technical sense. 

Have you tried connecting the Vita to a PC, or are you only having a problem with the PS3?  Some people in the EU forum reported having problems with both, which actually makes more sense. Did you try Restoring the PS Vita System?  That would rule out any data or software corruption problems (if you can't use Content Manager anywhere, then you won't be able to back up; so you may not have tried that).

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (695 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
269 posts

May 27, 2012

I am  having this issue as well I have a 3G/wifi model and a few days after I got it the touch screen stopped working when connected to the PS3. Sony replaced the unit once and the same thing happened, a few days after the new one arrived it stopped working when connected to the PS3. So they are sending another coffin for me to replace this unit a second time. I'm starting to get discouraged in this purchase because the reps keep telling me that this is the first time they have heard of this problem. i've even goe out and bought another charging/data cable and that seemed to help for a day or so then back to usual.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (695 Views)
0 Likes