Aug 03 2012
By: nizzatelrooy First Son 3 posts

Online gaming after change of ps3 hard disk?

5 replies 2114 views Edited Aug 3, 2012

I am currently having the fat ps3 and it has a corrupted file. So i went to the store and they said i need to change a new hard disk. I couldn't back up the saved data for games because its too late.

Now here's my question: After changing to a new hard disk, will I still able to play my online games such as BF3 or FIFA12? since they require an online pass. Can i still use the old online pass or must i purchase a new one??

Message 1 of 6 (2,114 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18845 posts

Re: Online gaming after change of ps3 hard disk?

Aug 3, 2012

nizzatelrooy wrote:

I am currently having the fat ps3 and it has a corrupted file. So i went to the store and they said i need to change a new hard disk. I couldn't back up the saved data for games because its too late.

Now here's my question: After changing to a new hard disk, will I still able to play my online games such as BF3 or FIFA12? since they require an online pass. Can i still use the old online pass or must i purchase a new one??

Ok so you turned your PS3 and you got a system message saying "a given file is corrupted," "The file system was corrupted"?  what exactly?

The PS3 has built-in tools that can get rid of corrupted data and ensure the file system structure; tools that could have allowed you to once more start your system and do a backup [get your game save data, pics, etc] and extend the life of the HDD. Now, if the corruption is due to too many bad sectors then HDD replacement is a must.

Anyways, yes you can re-download your online passes, as well as, your PSN content from the Download List

Sign In/Account Management/Transaction Management/Download List

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 6 (2,108 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Aug 6, 2012

when i turn it on it says my ''file system is corrupted and would u like to restore it?'' I click 'OK', then it starts to restore and it got stuck at 48%, 5 mins of waiting later, my screen goes blank and my ps3 restarts, and the same message comes out. Basically its a loop. 

so should i send for repair? change new hard disk?

i went to a nearby gaming store and told them my problem. They said it could be my hard disk that is causing the problem. And they told me they can help repair it. But before i send it to them, what do u think is the problem?

Anw, can i still use the OLD online pass for my online games? OR do i have to purchase a NEW one after changing the hard disk without any data being backed up from my old hard disk? 

Message 3 of 6 (2,088 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18845 posts

Aug 6, 2012

nizzatelrooy wrote:

when i turn it on it says my ''file system is corrupted and would u like to restore it?'' I click 'OK', then it starts to restore and it got stuck at 48%, 5 mins of waiting later, my screen goes blank and my ps3 restarts, and the same message comes out. Basically its a loop. 

so should i send for repair? change new hard disk?

i went to a nearby gaming store and told them my problem. They said it could be my hard disk that is causing the problem. And they told me they can help repair it. But before i send it to them, what do u think is the problem?

Anw, can i still use the OLD online pass for my online games? OR do i have to purchase a NEW one after changing the hard disk without any data being backed up from my old hard disk? 

Yeah, you will have to install a new HDD. You can do the HDD replacement yourself [Video HowTo below] or you can have somebody else do it for you.

As I said on my previous post, you can redownload your PSN DLC, including onine pass from the download list

|Sign In/Account Management/Transaction Management/Download List

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 4 of 6 (2,083 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
25583 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 6, 2012

Before you replace the hard disk, you should boot the PS3 in Safe Mode (http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1488) and use the Restore PS3 System command.  It may be just the data on the hard disk that is damaged.  Not the hard disk itself.  You should always try Restore PS3 System before sending the PS3 in for repair, unless the PS3 can't boot to Safe Mode; in which case the hardware is obviously broken.

You won't lose anything that you purchased in the Playstation Store; except for videos.  Games, DLC, online passes, and subscriptions will still be usable, or re-downloadable, after you replace the hard disk; or even the entire PS3.

GKP
Message 5 of 6 (2,079 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
3 posts

Aug 7, 2012

thanks alot for your help buddy! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 6 (2,068 Views)
0 Likes