Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 07 2012
By: Jack_Daniels1978 First Son 1 posts

New Hard drive Problems?

2 replies 974 views Edited Aug 7, 2012

Hi guys..  am hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on my situation..

My ps3(CECH - 2003B) hard drive became corrupted. I proceeded to replace the 320gb hd with a new replacement 320gb hd(Toshiba MK3276GSX 5400RPM Sata Internal Hard Disk), upon turning ps3 on and being told via a message that i need the latest software update(which i downloaded to pc then placed onto my usb stick (which consequently worked fine on ps3 when inserted)  ) and that the hd will be formatted..press start and select to start process. I did so.. as stated already the ps3 spoke to the usb stick with no problem at all and sucessfully updated then proceeded to format the hard drive. it started to do it then abruptly came up with a message telling me ' a serious error has occured..etc etc... The code that came with the message was (8002F281) I looked it up and the meaning stated it meant there is a problem with the hard drive?..this is where i become lost.. AS ITS BRAND NEW???... Please someone tell me im missing something as its not making sense at all? Have been through a few guides which were all roughly the same instructing me what to do when installing the new hard drive and was very meticulous in following!..If anyone can shed some light i would be most appreciative :smileyhappy:

Message 1 of 3 (974 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18731 posts

Re: New Hard drive Problems?

Aug 7, 2012

It could be that during the formatting the HDD connectors were moving. Given that the data in the HDD is corrupted just take the HDD out and reinstall it. This time around make sure that the screws are holding everything securely in place. Attach the HDD to the metal frame but do not overtighten the screws. Insert the HDD in the bay and slide it in place tightly [no forcing, just secured in its place] Also, make sure the blue screw is holding the metal frame in its place, again do not overtighten the screw.

To be sure, delete the firmware file in your USB and redownload it. Who knows, perhaps there was a hiccup in that download, PC to USB file transfer.

If you get the error again.

I suggest you try another HDD [the old one, a spare HDD] This is to rule out the possibility that it could be a problem with the PS3's SATA connector. Perhaps, that new HDD wasn't handled properly from manufacturer to store to you. To be honest at this point, it is better that it is a faulty brand new HDD than having to send your PS3 to SONY.

Good luck Jack!

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 3 (970 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
16809 posts

Re: New Hard drive Problems?

Aug 7, 2012

The problem in this case may be that this is a 3.0Gbps transfer-rate drive, and the PS3, which is several years old, only supports a 1.5Gbps transfer rate. Some 3.0Gbps drives will detect that the host device only supports a 1.5Gbps transfer-rate and throttle themselves  to half-speed.  Some 3.0Gbps drive don't.  If the drive isn't compatible with a 1.5Gbps transfer-rate, then it isn't compatible with the PS3; even if it matches the specs of the original PS3 drive otherwise.

GKP
Message 3 of 3 (966 Views)
0 Likes