Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 08 2012
By: Hangnail-PSN First Son 10 posts

Game Stuttering Issues!

7 replies 1431 views Edited Jul 8, 2012

Disc-based games are suddenly starting to stutter, like bits of audio getting garbled during FMVs [in God of War III], games sometimes grinding to a halt for half a second [in Fifa 12] or even loading times being somewhat longer than they used to be [in God of War Collection] or even the pause menu taking half a second longer to appear than before [in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction]. I may have narrowed the issue down to it being a case of dust gathering on my PS3's disc-reading laser, as games on my HDD don't have the stuttering issue, but I may be wrong.

Any ideas how I can solve this relatively minor, but still excruciatingly annoying, problem?

Message 1 of 8 (1,431 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: Game Stuttering Issues!

Jul 8, 2012
How old is your PS3?

You can also try going into Safe Mode and using Restore File System and Rebuild Database commands in case there is some corruption on the hard drive when the BR disc game uses it as a cache. Ignore the warning about corrupted data found.

Safe Mode: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1488
Message 2 of 8 (1,429 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 8, 2012

It's about a year and two months old, it's the 320gb Slim model by the way...

I've already tried going into Safe Mode and running 'Restore File System' but to no avail, even went so far as to try the PS3's fan test to expel any latent dust particles it might have inside, have yet to try out 'Rebuild Database' though.

I'm currently downloading firmware 4.21, which is supposed to resolve some "stability issues", really hoping it solves mine!

Message 3 of 8 (1,425 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 8, 2012
Well the update didn't help diddly squat! The audio in God of War III's cutscenes still skip and stutter at random intervals and Fifa 12 still freezes up for a split second during EVERY MATCH!

This is getting frustrating...
Message 4 of 8 (1,421 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5540 posts

Jul 10, 2012

Same thing here. It happens with Infamous 2, which is downloaded. The FMVs started stuttering every 2 seconds.  I must say that the PS3 at boot time keeps saying that the file system is corrupted and needs to be rebuilt. I did it automatically and manually in safe mode. I installed 4.21 and no changes. Now I am rebuilding the database and it is taking forever. Unless the HDD has gone. 

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 5 of 8 (1,407 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 10, 2012
Rebuild Database doesn't take forever. Restart your console and backup your data immediately.
Message 6 of 8 (1,406 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 3, 2012
Well I have officially tried everything, I've gone into 'safe mode' and ran 'restore file system', 'rebuild database' and even formatted my entire HDD (after backing up the contents of course) and still nothing! The above games I mentioned still behave the way described with a new victim in 'Red Dead Redemption' in how the game takes longer than before to load/save and even some nice late texture load-ins!

After three generations of being a PlayStation stalwart my faith in the brand is starting to waiver...
Message 7 of 8 (1,347 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Aug 5, 2012
Do your HDD games still play flawlessly?
Message 8 of 8 (1,339 Views)
0 Likes