First Son
2 posts

Re: Firmware update 3.56 causing my PS3 to not recognize Blu-ray

Nov 2, 2011

My 120 GB PS3 Slim has had this problem ever since the update. It won't play any blu-ray movies or games. I wanted to play Uncharted 3 but it won't work. I even cleaned the laser and everything but nothing helped. Of course they're not going to fix this problem for free though.

Message 781 of 783 (547 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 13, 2011

Well, here's my story,

I bought my 250G slim in Feb 2010. In May 2010, my PS3 had ejection and disc receiving issues so I sent it in for repair since it was still under warranty. August 2011, my PS3 was having trouble reading games and movies. I had to eject and insert a few times it would finally read. Eventually, it quit reading altogether until I moved it from the horizontal position to vertical. I don't know how or why this helped but it would recognize any disc immediately and I thought my problems were solved. Two weeks ago, I was watching a movie on it and it froze. Never happened before. I turned it off and ejected the disc to check for smudges and there was none so I put the movie back in and it wouldn't recognize it. I tried every game I had and still nothing. Tried a CD and it read it once, then not again.

I was an Xbox player and moved to the PS3 because my friends all had a PS3. They all have the older fat ones and never had problems with them. I had two major issues in less than 2 years. I'm not sure if FW is the problem or faulty blu ray lenses but I do know I never had a problem with my Xbox.

PS3 Model CECH-2001B

Manufactured Dec. 2009

Message 782 of 783 (547 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Dec 19, 2011

Hi There,

I am also facing the same issue. The issue started after some firmwareupdate (most likely 3.56, I do not recall exactly). Initially, my ps3 stopped playing blu-rays all of a sudden. I had watched the same blu-ray a day before for some time without any issues but just after the firmware update , it stopped reading the movie. I tried platying blu-ray games and it worked just fine. Called up Sony about this issue but had a bad experience with Sony's support. It seemed like they were hell bent on making money by gettting the system sent in (my ps3 was out of warranty by a few months then, may be that was the reason ) rather than helping . Sony's support however agreed that if game blu-rays and some movie blu-rays are working, there is nothing wrong with the blu-ray drive. Recently, I bought Uncharted 3 game and it stopped playing. Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 still works fine. The only difference that I noticed was that Uncharted 3 is dual-layer blu-ray disc. I realized that my ps3 is not able to play only dual-layer blu-ray disc. I think its a firmware issue. Sony should use some of the old models like CECH-2001A and see if they are able to play dual-layer blu-ray discs. If not, they should issue a fix. If they think its an faulty blu-ray, they should atleast give a discount (if not free) to replcae the blu-ray drive.

Thanks.

Message 783 of 783 (547 Views)
0 Likes