First Son
6 posts

Re: Firmware update 3.56 causing my PS3 to not recognize Blu-ray

Mar 10, 2011

ziggurcat wrote:

one thing is clear: if this issue was caused by "bad code", then *everyone* that had the same or very similar PS3 hardware (or even the whole user base) would all be affected... *everyone*... not just a select, seemingly random few.

No Ziggurcat, thats not really true.  When you are troubleshooting you have too look at all the variables and frankly, there are usually more than you would initially know.  What if there is a defect in the FW loader that actually causes an incomplete load in a certain amount of systems (for example, a certain batch of static ram chips that is used for storing FW)?  In that case, its quite possible that the FW would work for some and be corrupted for others with possibly similar symptoms.

I certainly don't have a smoking gun yet, but I do find it very interesting that at least in my case:  #1 Although a disc error is most certainly occuring, there is none being presented to the user (evidence that the code for disc handling is munged or just poorly written OS code?),  #2 I can't update my FW with the complete install of 3.56 from the web without error.  I don't think its the USB but how can I be sure?  I have re-formatted with as FAT32 and checked the integrity of the USB and everything looks great, and #3 the issue presented intermittently just following one firmware update and then with the next became a complete failure.

Once again, I don't have a horse in the race of whether its FW or hardware error, though when I add it all up it actually makes me suspect there is more than one issue.  All I know is that for whatever reason my PS3 has given up the ghost in less than 1,000 hrs of use seriously defying any normal MTBF for these types of electronics.

Please use plain text.
Message 721 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Well, I updated to 3.60 and not surprisingly, it didn't do anything! My PS3 still does not read game discs or blurays. Regular dvds still work. I'm wondering if I should restore. Does anyone have an idea what I should try myself? I have it under warranty with Geek Squad(bought it @ Best Buy) and I have another year left. I'm too lazy to bother driving to Best Buy to drop it off and another reason is because I was told they would simply send it back to Sony for them to repair/replace. I mean, WTF? I pay for service but they can't even replace the drive themselves? What the hell was the point of buying a warranty if they can't service it themselves?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
Please use plain text.
Message 722 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Mar 10, 2011

well at least u still have that option unlike the rest of us. i would sent it 2 best buy and let them send it to sony since u r still under warranty.

Please use plain text.
Message 723 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Even if it don't fix the problem, at least we can replace the lens safetly

Edit: 3.60 installed, still not reading disks.

Please use plain text.
Message 724 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Mar 11, 2011

Rozz111 wrote:

No one has fixed the issue replacing the drive, it kills the new drive too. I have seen the rebuild file system work for one or two people, and as far as "a random few" I dont think a thread reaches 90k views from a "random few" searching for it in google. If you dont have the problem why are you still in this thread talking? You have offered no help, no idea, no solution, nothing for the community other than running your mouth and trying to defend Sony, unless they sign your checks go elsewhere and try to feel important.

Sign the petition for 3.56 killing blu-rays. http://ps3petition.ekoops.com/

1. yes, people have replaced their laser diode or entire drive and reported the problem solved. 

2. i said, "seemingly random few", and in the grand scheme of things, a few hundred out of the 40+ million PS3 users does constitute "few".  even if that number was a few thousand, it still wouldn't amount to half of 1% of the total user base.

3. you can't use the thread views (or the thread posts) as accurate statistics to demonstrate the ubiquity of the issue.  you're not taking into account that the same people likely have clicked on this thread countless times, people may have clicked on the thread out of curiosity, etc... there certainly aren't 90k different users all posting that they've lost blu-ray functionality.

4. injecting common sense and logic into the discussion isn't running one's mouth, nor is it defending sony.  accusing people of calling you incompetent (when they clearly haven't) simply because they didn't give you the answer you were looking for, criticizing someone's professionalism after you've thrown a childish temper tantrum on the phone with someone, accusing people of "running their mouth" when they're presenting any kind of counterpoint to the argument is running your mouth. 

Please use plain text.
Message 725 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3264 posts

Mar 11, 2011

ziggurcat wrote:

Rozz111 wrote:

No one has fixed the issue replacing the drive, it kills the new drive too. I have seen the rebuild file system work for one or two people, and as far as "a random few" I dont think a thread reaches 90k views from a "random few" searching for it in google. If you dont have the problem why are you still in this thread talking? You have offered no help, no idea, no solution, nothing for the community other than running your mouth and trying to defend Sony, unless they sign your checks go elsewhere and try to feel important.

Sign the petition for 3.56 killing blu-rays. http://ps3petition.ekoops.com/

1. yes, people have replaced their laser diode or entire drive and reported the problem solved. 

2. i said, "seemingly random few", and in the grand scheme of things, a few hundred out of the 40+ million PS3 users does constitute "few".  even if that number was a few thousand, it still wouldn't amount to half of 1% of the total user base.

3. you can't use the thread views (or the thread posts) as accurate statistics to demonstrate the ubiquity of the issue.  you're not taking into account that the same people likely have clicked on this thread countless times, people may have clicked on the thread out of curiosity, etc... there certainly aren't 90k different users all posting that they've lost blu-ray functionality. - not only these reasons, but we also know that there some alternate accounts being used to post to make the problem seem worse than it is. plus, some browsers refresh every second or so, so those add to the "view" count.

4. injecting common sense and logic into the discussion isn't running one's mouth, nor is it defending sony.  accusing people of calling you incompetent (when they clearly haven't) simply because they didn't give you the answer you were looking for, criticizing someone's professionalism after you've thrown a childish temper tantrum on the phone with someone, accusing people of "running their mouth" when they're presenting any kind of counterpoint to the argument is running your mouth. 

Please use plain text.
Message 726 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Mar 11, 2011

okay now i have been following up on this and what poeple are doing and still not working but i just dont know what to do and im not addicted to videogames or w.e but I DO WANT to play my PS3 lol ..anyways im now looking into investing the money for a new blu ray or found a cheap place that repairs the lens hopefully they charge me what it says and not for the lens itself.But in any case my question is should i just go and try to find out if it is my blu ray? or pay for a 360? because the problem i have a feeling it IS the FW but than again I think it may be my blu ray and i have been playing it since day 1..BTW i have the 60gb compatable and the has been fixed 3 times by me from the ylod ..but i have some what abused playing games ? Any help or people that read this i like to hear please and thank you:smileyhappy:

okay so now reading from the wiki i did download the firmware 3.56 when it came out and didnt have an issue until they reissued the 3.56 on feb.1 i did not download it but on feb.4 the next day my blu ray did what the rest are doing i than saw the 3.56 and downloaded twice.SO THAN COULD THIS JUST MEAN IT IS THE BLU RAY AND I CAN JUST BUY A NEW BLU RAY DRIVE?

Please use plain text.
Message 727 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 11, 2011

So...... updated to 3.60 and STILL nothing!!! WTF!? I thought the problem would have been fixed but I guess not... Got a little bored and decided to hop on Playstation Home. I was prompted with "A new version is needed to be downloaded" Went ahead and tried to download it but all my ps3 did was beep at me and reset itself... Does anyone else go on Playstation Home? Has this happened to anyone else reseting while trying to access Home?

60gFAT

Please use plain text.
Message 728 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Mar 11, 2011

Well, Sony right now is busy assessing dammages from the quake that had hit Japan while I dissagree with Sony's business practices, I would not wish these diasters up on any living person no matter how angry and upset I am.

My hope, prayers and condolences go to those who have been effected.

also a reminder, here on the Oregon and Washington Coast It can easily be us.

We still do not know fully the implications this will have on Manufatcuring sites as well as programming sites.

Needless to say, all trading has all but ceased. and all companies in Japan are taking a hard hit.

I for one will not kick a person when they are down.

SCEA’s decision to implement Update 3.21 placed Plaintiffs and Class members in a “Hobson’s Choice.” PS3 owners who chose not to install Update 3.21 could no longer access
many of the other important PS3 features including the PSN, the ability to play games online, the ability to access online features, or the ability to play newer PS3 games and/or Blu-ray discs that required Update 3.21. On the other hand, PS3 owners who did install Update 3.21 lost all access to the computer functionality of the PS3’s “Other OS” feature.
Please use plain text.
Message 729 of 783 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 11, 2011

I hope and pray for the earthquake and tsunami victoms and survivors of Japan and wish them a fast and speedy recovery from this devistating disaster.

Please use plain text.
Message 730 of 783 (20 Views)