Highlighted
Jul 13 2012
By: Arron_Rift Uncharted Territory 1323 posts

"Hold the Line" game mode suggestion (Please read)

6 replies 247 views Edited Jul 13, 2012

Hey everybody!

I had a great idea for a new game mode that I'm hoping to get some opinions on. I think this mode will bring more players into direct, frantic contact with the enemy from the moment the match starts, instead of  them spending half the game camping at opposite ends of the map like people complain about. Here is a diagram that pretty much lays out my idea.

(Note: I'd like to put a picture here, but it keeps saying the HTML is invalid. If you know what's wrong, plz tell me in a comment, but in the meantime just go here to see it Smiley Very Happy )

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/941938/image-id/6751i48522BF8937A4B...

To further explain what the picture shows, essentially in this game mode the edge of the spawning area would always be perpendicular to the length of the map. Each team's spawning area would extend up to whichever member of that team is closest to the enemy base. Also, players would only be able to build structures within their team's spawning area, though existing buildings would not be destroyed should the spawning area retreat.

Should there be a gap between the two team's areas, or if the areas overlap, then this would be represented by a grey area in which neither team can spawn or build, resulting in a "no man's land" where the teams are actively clashing over territory.

Victory is declared when one team manages to push their team's area within a certain distance towards the enemy team's base for a certain amount of time (I'm thinking 5-10 seconds total, but this could be adjustable)

I personal am very interested to see what effect this would have on the gameplay. I imagine that it would create a constant frenzy to advance your team's territory at all costs, making everyone immediately rush towards the center of the map the moment the game starts. This would also place an extreme importance on using turrets and walls to fortify their team's position and "hold the line" against enemy "blockade runners", as letting just one enemy slip through would extend the grey area towards your base, reducing your team's building/spawning area.

This may resolve a lot of the community's complaints, as this would bring "base campers" into dirrect conflict with each other, while also providing a role for the more vehicularly inclined.

There are still a few kinks I could use help smoothing out though.

For example, I'm not quite sure how hawks should interact with this game mode as it would be all too easy to just fly over the enemy's walls. I'm thinking hawks would either have no effect on the team's areas, or perhaps they would only effect it while in mech-mode.

Also, I'm still unsure if things such as stealth, squad leader, and outposts should work differently in this game mode, although perhaps they would be fine as they are.

What do you guys think? Do you have any opinions or suggests about this?

Also, remember to kudo this if you'd like LBI to see it!

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Message 1 of 7 (247 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Re: "Hold the Line" game mode suggestion (Please read)

Jul 13, 2012
So if the spawn extends to the person closest to the enemy, couldn't i put rift economy, build a hawkpad, fly to the enemy base with stealth and shield, survive the time and win in about a minute? I am very confused :/
Message 2 of 7 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1323 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2012

CALI_K1llA wrote:
So if the spawn extends to the person closest to the enemy, couldn't i put rift economy, build a hawkpad, fly to the enemy base with stealth and shield, survive the time and win in about a minute? I am very confused :/

Yeah, like I said, Hawks are the main bug in this plan. I was mostly picturing this with a groundpounder loadout.

would a hawk in mech mode be vulnerable enough  to prevent this? What if you had to get out of the hawk all together to count?

Perhaps the spawn wouldn't follow just one person, but would extend to some mid point between the furthest few people or something.

I still think the core idea is interesting, and I hope hawks wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to solve this?

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 7 (226 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1026 posts

Jul 13, 2012

Maybe what could determine the territory line is the farthest point where half of the team is behind it, meaning that it takes the team as a whole advancing forward, and camping only cripples the team's efforts since people holding back will keep their line from moving forward. This also fixes the hawk problem if they also don't count in the air, since it'll take half the team for the hawks to result in an actual victory, after they get past the flak turrets and M.A.W. launchers that they need to fly straight towards. If half the team was airborne, the enemy was done for anyway.

I'm a possum. I'm usually a nice possum, but if you show up just to spite the game, boast, or try to get the game catered to you, be warned: I bite. Have a nice day!
Message 4 of 7 (200 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
51060 posts

Jul 13, 2012

This mode would work really well with a troop only type of loadout or possibly a ground pounder.

I like the idea a lot but can see the hawks making it hard to impliment, hence my above comment.

Message 5 of 7 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1323 posts

Jul 14, 2012

OOh, that could work.

In a big match, however, it may demand too much to expect 8 people to break through, so perhaps it should move so that 2/3s or 3/4s of the team are behind the line.

Just a thought. And for future refference, does anyone know why I can't post that picture? and how can I fix it?

Message 6 of 7 (181 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
51060 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Arron_Rift wrote:

OOh, that could work.

In a big match, however, it may demand too much to expect 8 people to break through, so perhaps it should move so that 2/3s or 3/4s of the team are behind the line.

Just a thought. And for future refference, does anyone know why I can't post that picture? and how can I fix it?

up 2 things over from the smiling face, just to the left of the numbers and dots thing, is the thing you use to post pictures

You have to upload your pic from the computer to here first...or click on the "from webpage" option I think, it took me a bit to get used to it and I still have trouble.  If that doesn't help ask me more questions, i'll try.

Message 7 of 7 (141 Views)
0 Likes