Sep 24 2012
By: Arron_Rift Uncharted Territory 1214 posts

"Command Tower" B&B suggestion

[ Edited ]
13 replies 235 views Edited Sep 24, 2012

Hey guys!

I had this idea a while back, but the new update got me thinking about it again and I thought I'd post it.

It would essentially be some kind of radar-tower-like-thing (with a door at the base) which would allow for you to view the map with that omniscient, "urgent fury" camera so that you can oversee the entire battle and issue instructions/orders to your team mates. The idea is that it would bolster teamwork and planning among teams, instead of everyone only thinking for themselves.

Using it could look like a streamlined version of this...

And the structure itself could look something like this...

tower.JPG

As for the team support, I am a little fuzzy on this part, so maybe you guys could help me out with this.

It could be as simple as just using the mic and yelling people's names and what they should do (but the "mute" button should definitely still work :smileywink:), but I think there should be some visual cues as well.

Perhaps the person in the tower could place various icons to mark things like especially dangerous enemies, team mates in need of help, weak points in the enemy's defenses, etc.

This is one of my less fleshed-out ideas, so please do feel free to (kindly) offer your own views and ideas :smileyhappy:

What do you guys think?

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (235 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1319 posts

Re: "Command Tower" B&B suggestion

Sep 24, 2012

I think it should provide full radar, but it can`t use the twitch tv camara (to laggy and stuff) as for what else it could do, it can place "beacons/flares" like destroy this, ambush here etc by placing symbols on the map (max 2 or 3 at a time)

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (224 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1026 posts

Sep 24, 2012

Well, this is new.

Outside of clans, I do not see this being very practical, since I can imagine an anonymous, bossy DB hopping in and spamming commands he thinks others should do, or just to be annoying. Remember, this building needs to do enough to make it worth a player spending their time in it rather than actually fighting. XP rewards and setting priority targets are a good place to start, but maybe adding a "marked for death" feature, where a guy in the tower can make targets more susceptible to attacks, making that unkillable pilot on the enemy team vulnerable, for example. I think it should have some sort of free look as you said, so you can also spy on your enemies. Maybe for it to work out, it can be in the form of a small flying probe, a little like the MAV in BF3 that can be shot down. I think it would be best for it to have no indicator so it can easily be overlooked, but it should only be able to mark targets. As I said, however, this idea would be spoiled by bossy DBs in public games.

I'm a possum. I'm usually a nice possum, but if you show up just to spite the game, boast, or try to get the game catered to you, be warned: I bite. Have a nice day!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (216 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
802 posts

Sep 24, 2012
I like this idea.

It gives more RTS strategy.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (215 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
802 posts

Sep 24, 2012
Real Time Strategy* only one strategy
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1214 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 24, 2012

nukepossum wrote:

Well, this is new.

Outside of clans, I do not see this being very practical, since I can imagine an anonymous, bossy DB hopping in and spamming commands he thinks others should do, or just to be annoying. Remember, this building needs to do enough to make it worth a player spending their time in it rather than actually fighting. XP rewards and setting priority targets are a good place to start, but maybe adding a "marked for death" feature, where a guy in the tower can make targets more susceptible to attacks, making that unkillable pilot on the enemy team vulnerable, for example. I think it should have some sort of free look as you said, so you can also spy on your enemies. Maybe for it to work out, it can be in the form of a small flying probe, a little like the MAV in BF3 that can be shot down. I think it would be best for it to have no indicator so it can easily be overlooked, but it should only be able to mark targets. As I said, however, this idea would be spoiled by bossy DBs in public games.

You've got some good points. Perhaps it would cost about one rift to place each marker, so they won't get overused, and if you mute somebody it also blocks their markers, so people can't use this to get any more annoying than they already are.

Also, nice idea to have the camera actually fly around, but I was thinking that the main danger of using this would be the risk of someone destroying you un-armored tower while you aren't looking, making you an easy kill for base attackers...

I gotta go, but what do you guys think of these?

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1319 posts

Sep 24, 2012

nukepossum wrote:

Well, this is new.

thats why I said 2-3 commands/ symbols can be placed max at once

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1319 posts

Sep 24, 2012

well you vulnerarability makes sense. it would also make sense to have someone cover your back

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1214 posts

Sep 24, 2012

Thought some more about this and here's what I came up with:

1. You can place 1 "bounty" marker on an enemy player or structure for 4 rift. This is used to designate enemies that you think are extremely dangerous (or you're just mad at them). This enemy is then marked for all friendly players with a special icon (perhaps similar to the "vendeta" skill) and when someone destroys it they get an extra 8 rift payout and you get a small XP payout. Perhaps there could be awards tied to this, like "bounty hunter" or "target marker" that pay out additional XP when this happens several times. Placing another bounty would remove the previous one.

2. For 1 rift you can place one "friendly weak point" marker that shows up on the minimap to indicate an area that needs to be defended better. This pays out no rift or XP, it's just an FYI to your team mates and should be helpful in CTF, Zones, and Assault games. Again you can only place one at a time.

3. For 1 rift you can place one "enemy weak point" marker to indicate the enemy's exploitable weaknesses to your team. Again, this is just a FYI with no rift or XP payouts, but should really help your team to take out take out the enemy by funneling them into weak points that they may not have noticed from the ground.

What do you guy think?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (174 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1730 posts

Sep 24, 2012

Shouper2273 wrote:

I think it should provide full radar, but it can`t use the twitch tv camara (to laggy and stuff) as for what else it could do, it can place "beacons/flares" like destroy this, ambush here etc by placing symbols on the map (max 2 or 3 at a time)

Just for the sake of clarification, we have tested several times and the spectator build we use does not cause lag or xmb kicks. But it is an interesting concept

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (148 Views)
0 Likes