Jun 01 2012
By: Flint_Prophet Wastelander 673 posts

Triangle obliteration should be next on the fix list

61 replies 27 views Edited Jun 1, 2012

Triangles need to go. I'll personally keep screaming this from the mountain tops (or on this message board) until I'm hoarse and hope LBI eventually listens. They are imo the absolutely WORST hand-holding aspect of this game. You have dark, shadowy, textured landscapes that would be perfect for stealthy maneuvers...but to your enemy you have a bright shining red beacon above you that screams out from miles away. If you took them away, the depth of gameplay would increase immediately, since everyone would have to work harder to find sneaky enemies, the frequency of drive-by kills would decrease (as I said before, when you're on your way to something and see a red triangle on your way and stop to wax the ground troop that belongs to said triangle then go back along your way), and it would be more FUN. Depth = fun to me. I want a game that has multiple challenges and isn't just a shallow journey from kill to kill, zone cap to zone cap or flag cap to flag cap. I want the satisfaction of spotting an enemy sneaking around on the ground not because I was visually screamed at, but because I am looking for enemies sneaking around. Then, if I kill him, it's an even greater sense of accomplishment than pointing my MAW, Railgun, Hawk or Ox at the triangle and firing.

Message 1 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
449 posts

Re: Triangle obliteration should be next on the fix list

Jun 1, 2012

I agree. Only when actively engaged by one of your teammates or yourself, enemies should get marked on the screen and minimap. Unless you have that one skill on, then only you can see everything but won't share anything with teammates unless you engage them.

Message 2 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2248 posts

Jun 1, 2012

Truth. Get rid of this shit LBI and make the game you know your real fanbase wants. Some of this shit is beyond need of repair. Triangles to spot everybody? Really?  I mean, while we're catering to these idiots why don't you mark anyone with a KDR higher than 1.5 with a huge cookie monster skin and see how things go.

Message 3 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Jun 1, 2012

I would like to see them go but the games focus clearly isn't stealth even the sniper rifles give away positions.

Message 4 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Jun 1, 2012

but I wont be able to snipe people while i chill in my tank the whole match:smileysad:

Sarcasm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2248 posts

Jun 1, 2012

Seriously, this is another one of those fundamental issues man. Enough for me to say if it is not at least toned down I will not play this for long. I don't and neither does anybody else need to see every damn person on a map. How unrealistic of a game are we going for here? Why the fuck are their triangles over everybody. People should be able to spot things themselves. I mean, fuck, are we making this game for 10 year olds FFS?

Message 6 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Jun 1, 2012

SpaceNun wrote:

I mean, ****, are we making this game for 10 year olds FFS?

I think LBI has had their judgement clouded by trying to make the game "more accessible" i.e. dumb it down and shallow it out. Like I said, we need more depth in our gameplay...I'm not a WH vet, but I played the beta since February, and I think I have enough time in this game to see things like this clearly. They wanted to create a TPS that incorporated RTS with their BnB system...but the irony is that things like the triangle indicators inhibit depth of strategy...whether it's the strategy required to stealthily sneak around getting up to mischief, or the strategy required to find those sneaking around and kill them. The possibilities are endless, imho. It would actually encourage a more in-depth knowledge of the maps and all the nooks and crannies people could be hiding in.

The more I play this game, the more this issue comes screaming out at me. I really think getting rid of the triangles will go miles to improving gameplay depth.

Message 7 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3595 posts

Jun 1, 2012

Please remain calm. LBI is monitoring the data and it will show them that... oh wait, it won't show any anything because data doesn't help here. Btw, i hear people talking about Dogfights being extremely laggy. Why did they think that every plane should have a circle around it again? Maybe it doesn't fix everything but when they had their pre-launch livestream i saw 31 circles in the same screen and the framerate struggling to keep up and it didn't seem like a good idea to me.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Jun 1, 2012

Pentex wrote:

Please remain calm. LBI is monitoring the data and it will show them that... oh wait, it won't show any anything because data doesn't help here.

Photobucket

And you bring up something that we address, as a community, again and again. There are so many elements of gameplay that cannot be measured with stats. We've been assured that they are taking into consideration our feedback along with the stats, but even in multiple interviews, DJ seems to keep mentioning about how much the stats reflect what needs to be worked on.

Statistical data is absolutely no substitute for the organic experience of gameplay. And LBI's personal experience with playtesting the game in their studio is by definition a more myopic perspective on gameplay, as they are too close to their creation and will therefore be less likely to see what the community at large is seeing.

Message 9 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
870 posts

Jun 1, 2012

And I don't think the devs can play their own game at a high level, like some of the people on these forums can. So, their in-game experience is not close to what is actually going on.

Message 10 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes