new one

photo TGKSHBG2013_zpsa906bc94.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (198 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5871 posts

Re: Things That Make You Go Hmmm

Dec 29, 2013

For the record if a Warhawk reunion of sorts starts looking like a possibility, somebody send me a message on PSN, I'll be all over that.

StarhawkCenter
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (176 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7294 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 30, 2013

KoingWolf wrote:

For the record if a Warhawk reunion of sorts starts looking like a possibility, somebody send me a message on PSN, I'll be all over that.

Word, Koing. Warhawk for PS4 would be cool to see, but I think that some things are just meant to be in the past, to be undisturbed by any feeble attempts to recreate and remaster a buried gem.
soco signature

bhd clan site
mvp terms
forum rules
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (158 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1172 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 30, 2013

Warhawk on the PS4 could be amazing with the right updates.

For me if an updated Warhawk didn't include loadout options (like Starhawk) or even better, custom loadouts, then I would likely have to pass. Pilots now make being a ground player nearly impossible. Has taken much of the fun out of the game for me.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (148 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5871 posts

Dec 30, 2013

It's the simplicity part that can't be touched. Warhawk didn't have three dozen combinations of weapon and class loadouts and that made it an even playing field with a strong need for proper strategy, without forcing it into the picture like Starhawk did with Build and Battle. 

Bigger thing overall I think though is that a very serious conversation will be needed as to the inclusion of every old school'ers favoritiest topic in the world; Normal Flight. During Starhawk's Alpha, and Beta, and release, I was and still am adamant that Lightbox should have dropped Normal Flight in it's entirety OR remove a great deal of the automatic maneuvers so it is more a camera rework of Pro Flight. No other game has two radically different flight modes in it  like Warhawk and Starhawk had, probably because you could tell that eventually the issue will be that one mode will outperform the other either by exploit (which did happen) or lack of maneuverability like what happens with spinners who disappear into the cloud until you don't feel like chasing them.. Then shoot you in the back a little before repeating the process. That kills the fun of the game, what's the point of playing a game that's not fun?

Oh and meanwhile, the ground game never evolved in Starhawk because it was overly complicated and some mechanics I saw were broken up until I stopped playing and  following. A shame since that was my favorite thing about Warhawk. 

StarhawkCenter
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (145 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
47908 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2013

KoingWolf wrote:

It's the simplicity part that can't be touched. Warhawk didn't have three dozen combinations of weapon and class loadouts and that made it an even playing field with a strong need for proper strategy, without forcing it into the picture like Starhawk did with Build and Battle. 

Bigger thing overall I think though is that a very serious conversation will be needed as to the inclusion of every old school'ers favoritiest topic in the world; Normal Flight. During Starhawk's Alpha, and Beta, and release, I was and still am adamant that Lightbox should have dropped Normal Flight in it's entirety OR remove a great deal of the automatic maneuvers so it is more a camera rework of Pro Flight. No other game has two radically different flight modes in it  like Warhawk and Starhawk had, probably because you could tell that eventually the issue will be that one mode will outperform the other either by exploit (which did happen) or lack of maneuverability like what happens with spinners who disappear into the cloud until you don't feel like chasing them.. Then shoot you in the back a little before repeating the process. That kills the fun of the game, what's the point of playing a game that's not fun?

Oh and meanwhile, the ground game never evolved in Starhawk because it was overly complicated and some mechanics I saw were broken up until I stopped playing and  following. A shame since that was my favorite thing about Warhawk. 

I have to pick at your ground game comments.

The simplicity and the auto aim actually made the gun game have this balance to it that I still haven't found in another shooter.  I played DM for hundreds of hours on maps like rumbledome just because of this balance and simplicity to the ground game.  

Maybe I'm not comprehending what you mean when you say its "overly complicated and some mechanice I saw broken up".   Could you elaborate on that part a little bit?   I'm curious why you described it as such.   (I was a 1200 hour ground pounding general and know you spent time on the ground a bit as well)

EDIT: Didn't you always host those DM games that TX11 and I would join?  

EDIT2:  you were talking about the Starhawk ground game, weren't you, if you were I can see some of hte complication with the silly snap aim business :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (141 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1172 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2013

KoingWolf wrote:

The ground game was my favorite part of Warhawk. I never even tried to be some ace pilot because I felt I could do more for my team sneaking into base and taking the flag or capturing zones. Sure you could fly from zone to zone but you often couldn't keep it by staying in the air too long.

I never felt the ground game in Starhawk was "complicated", just that Build and Battle's weak structures and overly open map design made fighting on the ground hazardous to your health. Add in enemy Outpost spamming of your home base and too many loadouts with jetpacks in them and now you have pods and rockets giving you grief from above as much as hovering Hawks do in Warhawk.

So in Starhawk ground players spend far too much time clearing Outposts and doing what they can to rid themselves of pesky jetpackers. At times most of the game becomes a matter of constant house cleaning and rebuilding for one team very early on. I believe this is the broken mechanics KoingWolf may be getting at.

I totally agree with KoingWolf that LightBox should have had ONE flight mode and removed being able to constantly spin for an entire round. Spinning makes the pilot nearly unstoppable for both the ground players and Normal Flight players. But the list of things LightBox could have done differently is kind of pointless now, at least for Starhawk.

I would just hope any new or updated "Hawk" game gives us custom loadouts; places with some permanent cover to defend from like warehouses, factories, bunkers and other buildings you can enter to be able to again have some stealth; And, if they use Build and Battle have it be more for vehicle drops instead of base building since most players hurt their team with bad building practices and has to be one the most frustrating parts about Starhawk.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7275 posts

Dec 31, 2013
already on my calendar 8)
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (114 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP